2013-14 EPL Season

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Good gracious Gate...there's no talking to you. I mean I get you're relieved about the win, but come on.

Ozil is supposed to dominate games, not pop up here and there. He's been struggling. And while you think he made two contributions over 90 minutes the consensus is he's been a non factor. that consensus is coming from all over.. in excuses like "hes tired" to "hes trouble adapting"... either way, he's 42 million spent and isnt impacting the game. Hes a world class player. he's young. and he's struggling.

Your perception on confidence of pro athletes is a bit naive. But you're welcome to it. The FA cup just wasn't a priority for Liverpool. They obviously played to win and will be disappointed they didnt. But playing well and vying for the top of the table is the goal. For Arsenal, the were hugging and jumping for joy, and did a victory lap for the fans (a victory lap for a round of 16 game?). only one team has confidence issues at the moment i'd say. Arsenal were humiliated at Anfield, less than impressive against United... and obviously played an underdog role against Liverpool yesterday. How the mighty are falling?

Top 4 was always the goal. Yesterday was a perfect result in that. took Arsenal to task at the Emirates. inexplicably poor finishing from the top players cost them. Sturridge and Suarez dont lack confidence, nor will one match of shooting right at the keeper shake them in the slightest.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3bqsazpr said:
Good gracious Gate...there's no talking to you. I mean I get you're relieved about the win, but come on.

Ozil is supposed to dominate games, not pop up here and there. He's been struggling. And while you think he made two contributions over 90 minutes the consensus is he's been a non factor. that consensus is coming from all over.. in excuses like "hes tired" to "hes trouble adapting"... either way, he's 42 million spent and isnt impacting the game. Hes a world class player. he's young. and he's struggling.

Your perception on confidence of pro athletes is a bit naive. But you're welcome to it. The FA cup just wasn't a priority for Liverpool. They obviously played to win and will be disappointed they didnt. But playing well and vying for the top of the table is the goal. For Arsenal, the were hugging and jumping for joy, and did a victory lap for the fans (a victory lap for a round of 16 game?). only one team has confidence issues at the moment i'd say. Arsenal were humiliated at Anfield, less than impressive against United... and obviously played an underdog role against Liverpool yesterday. How the mighty are falling?

Top 4 was always the goal. Yesterday was a perfect result in that. took Arsenal to task at the Emirates. inexplicably poor finishing from the top players cost them. Sturridge and Suarez dont lack confidence, nor will one match of shooting right at the keeper shake them in the slightest.

It's funny to see you ripping apart Arsenal's win, and how they celebrated it. And you are foolish to say the FA Cup isn't a priority for Liverpool(especially since your now out of it you gonna say it). Sturridge being emotional after the match kinda shows they wanted to win the FA Cup so much. And at the beginning of the season you probably would've taken the FA Cup. It's only because Liverpool have been doing amazing in the league and surprisingly still in the title picture that you have no problem saying this in my mind.

The problem for Ozil is that he has massive expectations on him. Coming in for a club record 42.5 million is gonna do that. The thing is that everyone wants an instant physical impact for 90 minutes from him, they don't accept anything else. It's almost feels like people want Ozil to do everything, score goals, assist goals, play defense, play goalkeeper, be the manager, run the ticket booth, everything. People want to ignore the indirect impact he's had since joining because if he's not involved in every major moment of a game, he's instantly a non-factor. And his struggles aren't that big a problem for Arsenal at the moment just as long as other players make a big enough impact to keep Ozil's struggles from affecting the whole squad.

I'm not trying to knock Liverpool's performance, the way they played, losing the match wasn't something they really deserved. They'll take a bit to get over this disappointment, I don't expect to see a problem on the field for them, but I'm not gonna be surprised if they have a bit of a wobble because they know they were the better side on Sunday but they're still out of the cup because Arsenal made the most of their chances and Liverpool didn't.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Gatehawk":1ewf5bl8 said:
Uncle Si":1ewf5bl8 said:

It's funny to see you ripping apart Arsenal's win, and how they celebrated it. And you are foolish to say the FA Cup isn't a priority for Liverpool(especially since your now out of it you gonna say it). Sturridge being emotional after the match kinda shows they wanted to win the FA Cup so much. And at the beginning of the season you probably would've taken the FA Cup. It's only because Liverpool have been doing amazing in the league and surprisingly still in the title picture that you have no problem saying this in my mind.

The problem for Ozil is that he has massive expectations on him. Coming in for a club record 42.5 million is gonna do that. The thing is that everyone wants an instant physical impact for 90 minutes from him, they don't accept anything else. It's almost feels like people want Ozil to do everything, score goals, assist goals, play defense, play goalkeeper, be the manager, run the ticket booth, everything. People want to ignore the indirect impact he's had since joining because if he's not involved in every major moment of a game, he's instantly a non-factor. And his struggles aren't that big a problem for Arsenal at the moment just as long as other players make a big enough impact to keep Ozil's struggles from affecting the whole squad.

I'm not trying to knock Liverpool's performance, the way they played, losing the match wasn't something they really deserved. They'll take a bit to get over this disappointment, I don't expect to see a problem on the field for them, but I'm not gonna be surprised if they have a bit of a wobble because they know they were the better side on Sunday but they're still out of the cup because Arsenal made the most of their chances and Liverpool didn't.

The FA cup wasn't and isn't a priority for Liverpool. 4th or better in the league is all that matters.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":3aese8ke said:
The FA cup wasn't and isn't a priority for Liverpool. 4th or better in the league is all that matters.

Wow, now you're starting to sound like some Arsenal fans over the past 8 years.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Found a nice little video where someone rips Mourinho to shreds.

[youtube]-axLTS1XUrI[/youtube]

Mourinho is indeed a Champion of Stupidity.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Gatehawk":36a5tp13 said:
InSuarezWeTrust":36a5tp13 said:

Wow, now you're starting to sound like some Arsenal fans over the past 8 years.

That may be. Once we get in I feel we will actually make a concerted effort to actually win it and not just put the checks into our "war chest."

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":cji9mox8 said:
Uncle Si":cji9mox8 said:

you're insight is always so amazing... how can you consistently be so wrong about your own team, its players, and those teams they play?

christ... we almost had a discussion there too

First... who ripped Arsenal's win? Where did I do that? I said they were relieved after the bashing they took a week ago.

Its February, not August.. noone's counting the price tag. He was brought in here to do a job. Ozil needs to do better. If you dont see that than take a clue from the manager, the media... hell, the player himself. His pass completion rate has dropped significantly. assists are down. goals are down. he isnt tracking back. He was a flat out liability at Anfield and against United. And this has been a trend of late. To suggest its ok after the 5-1 and 0-0 games you just went through is astonishingly naive. you salvaged a 2-1 in which his contributions were a cross off a poor clearance from a corner and sending a 5 yard pass to Ox before he ran 40 yards.. congrats. his inability to defend his spaces left Gerrard, Coutinho and Suarez (back filling into the huge gaps he left) plenty of room to spead passes around. Unfortunately for them they didnt finish. Flamini was brilliant. lets see him suddenly reappear tomorrow.

Liverpool wanted to win that game. that was obvious. The point that was tried to be made to you was that a day later its not that big of a deal for a team fighting for top of the table. Liverpools objectives for the season were always top 4. Always. noone here is blind to the thin squad and lack of experience. While an FA Cup win over Arsenal would have been great, taking that extra match with Everton and freeing up rest time for a team they will be battling for the spots in the top 4 is the new reality. Hell.. Arsenal invented this reality.

If we wanted to sound like Arsenal fans we'd keep pointing to 4th as a trophy and forget 8-2, 4-1, 6-2 and 5-1. Reds fans have a very firm understanding of the last 4 years this club has endured. We'd gladly forgive some bad luck and poor officiating to get extra rest.

Liverpool have enrique, johnson, sakho and Lucas coming back by mid March for the run in. They have only league games to concern themselves with. they play their most difficult opponents at home (where they have ripped your precious team to shreds in 20 minutes)

So take a back seat Gate.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":14bcjtj5 said:
Gate, it's only Sunderland....

Only Sunderland and we made them look like a bunch of pick up game newbs. Nice try in attempting to make it sound like it's no big deal while City scraped a 1-0 win against Stoke in which Dzeko may have just won miss of the year.

By the way Si, Ozil was a real non-factor today huh? I didn't see him out there at all, he is so lazy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2aoilvs9 said:
peachesenregalia":2aoilvs9 said:

Only Sunderland and we made them look like a bunch of pick up game newbs. Nice try in attempting to make it sound like it's no big deal while City scraped a 1-0 win against Stoke in which Dzeko may have just won miss of the year.

By the way Si, Ozil was a real non-factor today huh? I didn't see him out there at all, he is so lazy.

He looks great in a suit...

Certainly not 5-1. But I guess you'll take it

I do feel for you Gate...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2yo9zsqy said:
Gatehawk":2yo9zsqy said:
peachesenregalia":2yo9zsqy said:

You have literally become too stupid to insult.

Congratulations?

Gatespurt?

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Nah it's simply I can't say shit without you guys automatically calling me and what I say stupid. It's like I can't even voice my opinion on here without people just shitting on it and ripping me for simply having an opinion, whether you agree with it or not(and you always seem to never agree with any bit of my opinion). It's like everyone's entitled to their own opinion on here, except for me.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Woof.... Our defense is a shambles. But what an attack..

Liverpool have now scored the most goals in the PL. Sturridge is second in goals scored. Suarez has the most goals and assists in the top flight. What a player!

Still...top 4 will be a tough task with that defending (the midfield was a stack of training cones today).

Come on you Canaries

Storts

Reaction score
That's the season over, utterly embarrassed right now and if Sherwood isn't gone at the end of the year then i'm not putting another penny in until he's gone.

Today we were second best from the first to the last minute. Absolutely no heart, no desire, Norwich got to every single loose ball first and just wanted it far more than we did. We were sloppy in possession, giving the ball away time and time again, Dawson's ridiculous long balls to the head of Lennon are just mindless and there was only one team out there that wanted to win.

Tim is absolutely clueless, his Bentaleb experiment is beyond a joke now. What does he have to do to be subbed off? He's started our last 9 league games in a row and hasn't been subbed. He was diabolical today, and he wasn't the only one, but we have Eriksen on the bench who he won't bring on at all. Someone tell me what Bentaleb brought us today that we wouldn't have got from Eriksen?

Just because something worked at Newcastle he decided to do the exact same thing today, but that's just naive, Dembele on the right wing to start the game was madness, bringing Chadli on (although he was probably our best player) instead of Eriksen when Capoue got injured was bizarre and that defence is shocking.

It was the same back four that looked absolutely hopeless in Ukraine. Naughton is not good enough, Dawson is not good enough, Rose is not good enough and when you put all three of them together it's not wonder they look completely out of place. Unfortunately injuries meant we had very few options, but those three together even dragged Vertonghen down to their level, because he looked terrible today too.

The season is definitely over. Today was a game we had to win just to keep in touching distance of the top four. We still have Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal to play and I don't expect us to get any points at all from those games. Tim is not the right man for the job and we'll probably end up finishing 7th. Ultimately this may benefit us because the Europa League is a blatant hindrance when you have to travel to Ukraine on a thursday before a premier league game, but it's just all so disappointing.

Levy can't be blameless in this either. He puts us back in the same position time and time again. He may be great with the financial side of running the club but when it comes to football decisions he makes mistake after mistake meaning we simply do not progress as a football club.

Absolutely fed up right now, a few bright wins here and there don't make up for what has been a very disappointing season overall and once we are out the Europa League on thursday it will just be boring games to wind down the season.

Well done to Norwich today, fully deserved their win, and really happy for Spurs legend Chris Hughton. He had the players fighting for everything today and I hope they stay up.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
^^^ I didn't see the game today but I can't argue with any of this. We've got a tough March ahead of us and it could get ugly, especially if Dawson, Rose, Naughton and Bentaleb are heavily involved. What's up with Sandro, Kaboul and Lamela? All injured?

Storts

Reaction score
Hawkspur":1563gvro said:
^^^ I didn't see the game today but I can't argue with any of this. We've got a tough March ahead of us and it could get ugly, especially if Dawson, Rose, Naughton and Bentaleb are heavily involved. What's up with Sandro, Kaboul and Lamela? All injured?

Very tough march now, can't see us getting anything from it either. Yeah all injured. Sandro and Kaboul i'm going to write off, we just can't rely on them anymore, which is a shame, because they make us so much stronger.

Naughton, Dawson and Rose are a championship back three, Naughton in particular is the weakest player in our squad.

It's definitely season over peaches, we just aren't as good as the four above us.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Was surprised by Spurs approach today. All credit to Norwich who took their chance well when it mattered. Despite the late chances for the Canaries it took some great keeping and Soldado being modern Torres to keep it 1-0.

All the top 4 have significant deficiencies (cue whiny Gate rant in 5....4...3..) that could (could) lead to dropping points.

Still all to play for. Any of the top 4 could win it. Any of the top 6 could get in to the CL

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
While obviously would be ecstatic to win the title, I have my sights/aspirations on 3rd. Straight into the UCL group stages without playing tricky qualifiers.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3im66k1o said:

wont happen.... yet.

But that upcoming fixture with Liverpool at Old Trafford could be the "one"

If Liverpool march in there and come away with 3 points, after all the patience the supporters and owners have shown, I can see that bringing the axe down.

Last night wasnt enough though

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":ymoss1tw said:
You could be right, but I don't even think Liverpool thrashing them at OT will do it. The season's pretty much over now anyways, they'll just lick their wounds into the offseason and start paying over the odds for mediocre players.

and seriously, how poor were they last night? amazing to watch really.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Pardew! What a knob. Alan Curbishley might get a job at last.