3 OCs and 5 DCs under Pete’s tenure

Mizak

Reaction score
Bevell, Schottenheimer, Waldron(maybe a 4th OC next season?)

Bradley, Quinn, Richard, Norton Jr., Hurt.

Why are these guys the scapegoats when some of us know who the problem is?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think ultimate you’re right, Pete seems to always avoid any blame and it’s always someone else’s fault.

I’ll add a third option. We’re killing Waldron and rightfully so, he has to be better. Maybe he knows more about Feno than we do and Genos limitations force Pete/Shanes hand more than we realize? Who knows

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Bevell, Schottenheimer, Waldron(maybe a 4th OC next season?)

Bradley, Quinn, Richard, Norton Jr., Hurt.

Why are these guys the scapegoats when some of us know who the problem is?
The story is a lot deeper than this. Not all of these guys were outright unsuccessful - and for the ones that were, they bear a lot of the blame for it themselves.

I don't like trying to oversimplify this. The front office has been in charge for 14 years. This isn't an absurd number of assistant coaches to have had in such a long period.

McVay is on a similar trajectory. He just had to "fire" his first OC in Liam Coen by "mutually-agreeing" his way back to college, and calls to fire Raheem Morris are growing. This happens to everyone. Not in the exact same way, but it is an eventually fact of NFL organizations that assistants have to rotate out and not all of them are going to be rotated out via promotion.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I'd love to hear what John Schneider thinks of Pete and his judgment in Coordinators.
Schneider is probably thinking, I get you all this talent and this is what you do with it?

Schneider seems like a stand up guy but I’d be pissed if this is the results with all the talent the Seahawks are believed to have.

I’m sure of it even if Schneider would never publically say…

Polk738

Reaction score
This is really interesting when you look at this on another level, especially with the former coordinators and what they are doing now, Schotty is the OC in Dallas and they are 4th in the league at 377 ypg, Bevell is the passing game coordinator in Miami and they have the best passing offense in the league. Today watching the Broncos put up 29 points against the best defense really starts to put things in perspective when we all thought Wilson was the problem but look at what Payton has turned around there in Denver, they are now 6-5 and Russ looks like a completely different QB, it's not so crazy to think anymore how much coaching really affects a team's performance is it? Another prime example is the Steelers getting rid of Matt Canada and putting up 400 yards of offense for the first time this year. I like what Pete has done for the Seahawks but when you're on your 4th OC and even KJ Wright is still seeing the same vanilla predictable offenses of old you know it's not Waldron coming up with these concepts.

James in PA

Reaction score
You forgot OC Jeremy Bates. He was fired after one season in Seattle with Pete.
Speaking of Bates, Gee Scott said the other day he hasn't felt this way about the Seahawks offense since Bates was coordinator. I have to agree.

GemCity

Reaction score
This is really interesting when you look at this on another level, especially with the former coordinators and what they are doing now, Schotty is the OC in Dallas and they are 4th in the league at 377 ypg, Bevell is the passing game coordinator in Miami and they have the best passing offense in the league. Today watching the Broncos put up 29 points against the best defense really starts to put things in perspective when we all thought Wilson was the problem but look at what Payton has turned around there in Denver, they are now 6-5 and Russ looks like a completely different QB, it's not so crazy to think anymore how much coaching really affects a team's performance is it? Another prime example is the Steelers getting rid of Matt Canada and putting up 400 yards of offense for the first time this year. I like what Pete has done for the Seahawks but when you're on your 4th OC and even KJ Wright is still seeing the same vanilla predictable offenses of old you know it's not Waldron coming up with these concepts.
The average tenure of O and D coordinators is somewhere between 2-3 years. In that regard, we’re pretty “normal”.

Great post…to see what ex-Hawks are accomplishing now..in comparison to what we’re seeing…makes you go “hmmm”.

strohmin

Reaction score
I think ultimate you’re right, Pete seems to always avoid any blame and it’s always someone else’s fault.

I’ll add a third option. We’re killing Waldron and rightfully so, he has to be better. Maybe he knows more about Feno than we do and Genos limitations force Pete/Shanes hand more than we realize? Who knows
What limitations? They are playing him like hes an elite gun slinger with how many pass attempts and long developing pass plays they call. They should be calling more run plays and conservative pass plays if Geno has these limitations.

Ozzy

Reaction score
What limitations? They are playing him like hes an elite gun slinger with how many pass attempts and long developing pass plays they call. They should be calling more run plays and conservative pass plays if Geno has these limitations.
Actually good point lol. I meant specifics like Pete not liking the middle of the field and because Geno has always been a turnover machine Pete heavily influences Waldron to utilize that areas of the field

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Actually good point lol. I meant specifics like Pete not liking the middle of the field and because Geno has always been a turnover machine Pete heavily influences Waldron to utilize that areas of the field
Yeah, I think we need to try to get back to "Pete-Ball" with Geno. Cuz he's simply not thriving in whatever it is they're doing currently.

knownone

Reaction score
Did anyone scapegoat Quinn? His tenure was about as smooth as it can get.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah, I think we need to try to get back to "Pete-Ball" with Geno. Cuz he's simply not thriving in whatever it is they're doing currently.
Agreed. Gotta do something different and it’s only going to get worse.

I hate being labeled a Geno hater though and I truly do hope the dude plays lights out and proves us all wrong.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
My choice for our new OC was just snatched up by Penn State. Kotelniki has been habitually successful for many years wherever he's been. Genius at play construction and finding the guys who can make it work. Penn State is probably a stepping stone to a HC job, but the guy is offensive gold standard.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
My choice for our new OC was just snatched up by Penn State. Kotelniki has been habitually successful for many years wherever he's been. Genius at play construction and finding the guys who can make it work. Penn State is probably a stepping stone to a HC job, but the guy is offensive gold standard.
We are going to miss him. Great OC