49ers coaching search continues...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":zrhpfsu5 said:
The only problem I can see is that those coaches need ACCURATE, mobile QBs while Kaepernick is an inaccurate RUNNING QB. There is a difference.

Not that anyone had any reason to watch 9ers games last year, but you're seriously underselling Gabbert's mobility in this post, and that he was suprisingly mediocre in his completion % last year (right in there between 63-64% with guys like Eli, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Tyrod Taylor).

I'm absolutely not trying to hype of Gabbert to say he's the answer, but he's basically the d-list version of Mike Shanahan's ideal QB.

By way of parable: When I was in high school I had a huuuuuuuge crush on this one girl. Then I went to college and ended up dating this other girl who kinda looked like that girl, and passably was just kind of an inferior version of that girl. She was a little less attractive, a little less dynamic, a little less fun to be around, but was still at least a mediocre variation on that girl I had really been obsessed with. And for awhile I was totally okay with that, and in retrospect don't look unfondly on our time together, although as I always knew even back then I ended up with somebody else.

Mike Shannahan is to Blaine Gabbert as I was to my college girlfriend. At the time I was pretty set in my ways about what I wanted, and my college GF fit in well enough as a stand-in for that, if only for a little while. :th2thumbs:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2k0x1dkq said:
rideaducati":2k0x1dkq said:
The only problem I can see is that those coaches need ACCURATE, mobile QBs while Kaepernick is an inaccurate RUNNING QB. There is a difference.

Not that anyone had any reason to watch 9ers games last year, but you're seriously underselling Gabbert's mobility in this post, and that he was suprisingly mediocre in his completion % last year (right in there between 63-64% with guys like Eli, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Tyrod Taylor).

I'm absolutely not trying to hype of Gabbert to say he's the answer, but he's basically the d-list version of Mike Shanahan's ideal QB.

By way of parable: When I was in high school I had a huuuuuuuge crush on this one girl. Then I went to college and ended up dating this other girl who kinda looked like that girl, and passably was just kind of an inferior version of that girl. She was a little less attractive, a little less dynamic, a little less fun to be around, but was still at least a mediocre variation on that girl I had really been obsessed with. And for awhile I was totally okay with that, and in retrospect don't look unfondly on our time together, although as I always knew even back then I ended up with somebody else.

Mike Shannahan is to Blaine Gabbert as I was to my college girlfriend. At the time I was pretty set in my ways about what I wanted, and my college GF fit in well enough as a stand-in for that, if only for a little while. :th2thumbs:

Whomever the coach is, they'll take a QB this year in the draft. Dunno if it'll be in round 1 or later, but kinda liking Carson Wentz right now.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jed York Verified account 
‏@JedYork After a thorough search, Trent & I are thrilled to announce Chip Kelly as the new #HeadCoach of the @49ers

Trrrroy

Reaction score
rideaducati":13mvubae said:
Trrrroy":13mvubae said:
Shannahan and Chip? I don't think its a coincednlence that both those guys like mobile qb's. Interview's only question: "how do you like kaepernick?"

Shanahan won 13 games with jake plummer. Not the most accurate guy. Even Elway had a completion percentages in the 50's under shanny. Chip was putting up respectable offrnsive numbers with sanchez and foles. Again, not the most accurate guys. Both these coaches are scheme first, talent second.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
My opinion, Lmao. I've never taken him seriously, I always kind of thought he'd be a joke in the NFL. His system doesn't work. This just makes our schedule easier.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":2yyuojwr said:
I think my problem with Shanahan is that I've just never been a fan of retread HCs. I think I probably unfairly downgrade them just because no coach has ever won a Lombardi with 2 different teams.

This might be different though. Sometimes those guys kinda don't have the drive they once did with their second teams and take that second job for huge $$$$ and power within the organization. That wouldn't happen here. Shanahan would just be the coach and is hungry enough that he has been lobbying for this job for 2 years.

It would be interesting if nothing else.

Kelly? I like the idea of trying his offense, but his reputation scares me. They are 50 mil under the cap and I fear he's scare players away.

Tom Gamble though is in SF and is reportedly pushing for him to get the job.

Gotcha. The retread thing doesn't bother me as much just because the 9ers are so far away from competing for another Lombardi IMO that it doesn't much matter. He is to me a bridge HC: absolute best-case scenario is he takes a few years and gets the team competing for WC spots, and has an OC waiting in the wings to take the reins from there.

And agreed about Kelly. If you could get Kelly's ideas and philosophies without Kelly the person I'd be totally okay with that. Kelly the person just ain't worth it though.

I think the other downside of Kelly is that he brings too much outside interest with him along as baggage. Kelly is basically the Tim Tebow of coaches at this point, so to bring in Chip Kelly means to also bring in the daily "Today in Chip Kelly" national attention that a sh!tty team with an overly-emotional owner just really doesn't need.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, off to go stab myself in the eyes a couple times. Will be back in a week or two.

Happy hunting, fellas. :th2thumbs:

rideaducati

Reaction score
I don't get why all coaches don't have the power to cut a player. The coach interacts with the players on a daily basis. He sees how players interact with other players much more than the GM ever would. The coach should have that power because the coach knows what the player is doing or not doing with the team.

If a player doesn't want to play for a coach or team, the coach would see that and no coach can coach players that don't want to be there.

A coach needs the FULL backing of a GM. When a coach tells the GM that he can't work with a player, the GM should do EVERYTHING in his power to get rid of the guy. These big rifts between coaches and GMs are usually caused by the GM thinking that a player the coach doesn't want to or can't work with should be on the team anyway...or the coach is getting the credit that the GM thinks should be his in Baalke's case.

With all this in mind, I don't see how any coach would be able to work with Baalke and his ego for very long. Good luck Chip...you'll need it.

drrew

Reaction score
Wow again.

Kawakami is probably already working on a column to use later where he rips Chip after another one of Chip's grumpy ass media sessions.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Chip Kelly?

Attachments

• uploads_b945777a-0989-4c4a-b969-c3bb29396208-3221507-2307282-55860_jj_jameson_laughing_meme_1-...jpg
    uploads_b945777a-0989-4c4a-b969-c3bb29396208-3221507-2307282-55860_jj_jameson_laughing_meme_1-...jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,016

SF49r

Reaction score
He has a good offensive mind but I hope to god we don't see any of that fast paced shit and personell control then I'd be fine with it

rideaducati

Reaction score
SF49r":3tmcjn62 said:
He has a good offensive mind but I hope to god we don't see any of that fast paced shit and personell control then I'd be fine with it

That is Chip's thing...expecting it NOT to be that way seems silly.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Chip has no control over personnel decisions, which is the area where he went wrong in Philly. When people think of Chip, they're only thinking of the year where Chip the GM ruined Chip the Coach. This could easily work out well for the 49ers.