49ers get a 3rd round pick

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
His father is black. How would you definitely and clearly non racist/bigoted folks prefer him to identify?

flv

Reaction score
I think what the NFL is doing is a good thing. Teams aren't being rewarded for hiring minorities into position coaching positions. They're rewarded if those minority appointments go on to bigger and better things. It's not massive compensation. It equates to around 190 points on the old style Draft chart. It's not enough to goad a team into making a minority hire, but it's enough of a thank-you if that person succeeds and moves on.

chris98251

Reaction score
The whole thing about the Rooney rule, if things were looked upon based on merit you would not need the Rooney rule in the first place. The fact they have it is really the NFL saying we have prejudice and discrimination in our ownership, paying draft picks to hire even makes that appear worse.

OP
OP
H

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2duqwlj1 said:
His father is black. How would you definitely and clearly non racist/bigoted folks prefer him to identify?
Most people identify by their color of skin. If my dad was 1/4 black, 3/4 white and I had a complete white mom I would identify as white. Dude looks white. McDaniel looks like doogie hauser MD

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":1bqkmiyd said:
Flyingsquad23":1bqkmiyd said:
Most people identify by their color of skin. If my dad was 1/4 black, 3/4 white and I had a complete white mom I would identify as white. Dude looks white. McDaniel looks like doogie hauser MD

Well then it a good thing that McDaniel has openly identified as a “human being” who has a black father.

It is quite telling that you admit you would hide behind whiteness if you had a mixed heritage.

So seeing you say you would identify accurately then perhaps you can add bigoted homophobe to your identity, you have made that abundantly clear with every post you make.

balakoth

Reaction score
From the stories ive seen and McDaniels

While Arlos is annoying as hell to me

This whole story is ******* HILARIOUS

Boy looks white as hell SAYS he has a black father... and IDENTIFIES as Black

Good way for Miami and NFL to save face

Anyone who thinks otherwise

Just L O L

Yeah poor SUPER white dude had the same issues as a black man with "minority" status

Are some of you dumb? Or?

balakoth

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":u145hqco said:
ArlosSpecial":u145hqco said:
Flyingsquad23":u145hqco said:

Well then it a good thing that McDaniel has openly identified as a “human being” who has a black father.

It is quite telling that you admit you would hide behind whiteness if you had a mixed heritage.

So seeing you say you would identify accurately then perhaps you can add bigoted homophobe to your identity, you have made that abundantly clear with every post you make.

We get it... whatever you IDENTIFY as we need to accept as fact? When in reality whatever you identified as you never had to deal with in life.

The whole braintrust IQ here is astounding

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
GemCity":32p6im5r said:
JayhawkMike":32p6im5r said:
GemCity":32p6im5r said:
As a white middle-aged man, this pleases me.

If we have to have an off approach (such as hiring criteria being based off skin color) to finally guide our lives by the phrase “All men are created equal…”, so be it. Eventually, equality should be the norm and we can stop being ignorant, racists pr*cks and get past this whole skin color shenanigan.

Racism is one of the most ignorant things…ever. NO race is superior. NO race deserves more than another.

/offSoapBoxNow

I’ve always considered things like integrity, honesty, hard work, kindness, patience, loyalty, friendliness as most important characteristics. It’s a sad sad world where race is more important in hiring then those and a dozen more. Diversity is not the most important overriding guiding principle. Only racists think so.

Agree with everything..except the last sentence. Perhaps insinuating that I’m a racist? If so, you’re way off.

Unfortunately, in our society, there is this thing called white privilege. There’s also something called police brutality. Actually, there’s way too much to list here. People that do not believe these things exist are likely racists.
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce Hook, Line, and Sinker.

These are all just talking points that create votes.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
QuickLightning":2fuhmpey said:
Whole lot of not so subtle racism and homophobia in this thread... Jeez.

Welcome to Seahawks.NET.

TAB420

Reaction score
Racism is everywhere. And it doesn't care what color it's pointed at.

Marvin49

Reaction score
balakoth":273ak6v0 said:
From the stories ive seen and McDaniels

While Arlos is annoying as hell to me

This whole story is f*** HILARIOUS

Boy looks white as hell SAYS he has a black father... and IDENTIFIES as Black

Good way for Miami and NFL to save face

Anyone who thinks otherwise

Just L O L

Yeah poor SUPER white dude had the same issues as a black man with "minority" status

Are some of you dumb? Or?

ahem....

Mike McDaniel IDENTIFIES as bi-racial. He said he identified as a human being and his father is black.

The ONLY people making an issue of his race are people like you.

He even said in his press conference that he himself didn't experience racism, but he's very aware of it based on what his mother faced marrying a black man and what his father faces every day.

49ers are getting draft picks based on whatever algorithm is used to award draft picks, but nobody here is trying to claim McDaniel is anything or claiming anything other than people who want to make an issue of it for their own personal reasons.

He was hired because Miami thought him to be best man for the job. They weren't trying to fill a quota for a man of color with someone who looks white.

On another note...I'm really surprised how many racist comments are made on this forum with no repercussions whatsoever. Its disappointing. I do NOT consider this indicative of the Seattle fanbase as I think that element exists in all fanbases, but the lack of accountability in this or any other forum forum disappoints me.

It constantly seems to come from one specific poster who has on multiple occasions made comments RE Trey Lance and now Mike McDaniel.

When someone repeatedly tells you who they are, believe them.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
GemCity":1tpv3aji said:
SantaClaraHawk":1tpv3aji said:
GemCity":1tpv3aji said:
Ultimately, race shouldn’t be a factor. But, we’re simply not at that point yet.

Since we’re in a football forum, take a look at the percentages of minority (that’s even weird to say tbh) owners, coaches, GMs, etc in comparison to the percentages of minority players. I find that a bit odd.

Is minority still a term we use? Just asking…

I don’t know if you reach equality by hiring people according to their skin color to “even things out” but, things certainly have to change. I’d be pissed if I was passed over due to being the most qualified candidate but of the wrong color. Flip-side, welcome to how others have it and have been dealing with for centuries.

The suit alleged that Black men in particular were being disproportionately underhired when in fact their status is 9.3 percent (3 coaches out of 32 NFL teams). From there the metrics only go up (i.e. coordinators).

This is like saying that Latino men are discriminated against--they are twice the number of Black men now, but only one such HC is represented in the NFL.

The ratio is way off…

NFL Commissioner agrees (pertaining to HC),

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/332 ... ad-coaches

Not debating…it is exactly what it is. And it will continue to evolve whether people like it or not.

Arithmetic is what it is, too. 3/32=9.375. And that's just for black MEN. Black people's 14 percent population share includes 51 percent being Black women. https://www.pewresearch.org/social-tren ... opulation/

Black men being discriminated against doesn't hold up to US population demographics. Nor is there a rule saying that coaches MUST mirror the demographics in the NFL. If anything is whacky demographically, it is that at least 60 percent of NFL players are represented demographically by less than 8 percent of the total population.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
94Smith":15090ew5 said:
49ers got 2 3rds for Saleh, 2 3rds for McDaniel and could get 2 thirds for Demeco Ryans next year. Shanahan coaching tree is spreading roots and branches.

Before Kyle, there was Mike who spawned LeFleur and McVay or perhaps they both did. The younger Shan has himself spawned two HCs, who cares if they were minorities or not, that's a pretty awesome record for someone who himself has been a head coach for less than a decade.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":225lgw5q said:
GemCity":225lgw5q said:
SantaClaraHawk":225lgw5q said:
GemCity":225lgw5q said:
Ultimately, race shouldn’t be a factor. But, we’re simply not at that point yet.

Since we’re in a football forum, take a look at the percentages of minority (that’s even weird to say tbh) owners, coaches, GMs, etc in comparison to the percentages of minority players. I find that a bit odd.

I don’t know if you reach equality by hiring people according to their skin color to “even things out” but, things certainly have to change. I’d be pissed if I was passed over due to being the most qualified candidate but of the wrong color. Flip-side, welcome to how others have it and have been dealing with for centuries.

The suit alleged that Black men in particular were being disproportionately underhired when in fact their status is 9.3 percent (3 coaches out of 32 NFL teams). From there the metrics only go up (i.e. coordinators).

This is like saying that Latino men are discriminated against--they are twice the number of Black men now, but only one such HC is represented in the NFL.

The ratio is way off…

Not debating…it is exactly what it is. And it will continue to evolve whether people like it or not.

Arithmetic is what it is, too. 3/32=9.375. And that's just for black MEN. Black people's 14 percent population share includes 51 percent being Black women. https://www.pewresearch.org/social-tren ... opulation/

Black men being discriminated against doesn't hold up to US population demographics. Nor is there a rule saying that coaches MUST mirror the demographics in the NFL. If anything is whacky demographically, it is that at least 60 percent of NFL players are represented demographically by less than 8 percent of the total population.

For your math to add up, you also need to divide the white % of coaches by male and female.

What your bad math shows is a disparity in male vs female coaches. Not black vs white.

balakoth

Reaction score
While I dont particularly like Arlos's tact on things

hes not wrong on this one.

Imagine.... I don't care if his dad was black.. this man.. didn't face ANYTHING that most black men and women have to deal with... because.. he looks like a white nerd. I don't care what you "identify as".

Its like saying you are 2 percent Cherokee so you have rights to land and whatever else in regards to the Natives.

Gimme a god damn break.

Marvin49

Reaction score
balakoth":1347b167 said:
While I dont particularly like Arlos's tact on things

hes not wrong on this one.

Imagine.... I don't care if his dad was black.. this man.. didn't face ANYTHING that most black men and women have to deal with... because.. he looks like a white nerd. I don't care what you "identify as".

Its like saying you are 2 percent Cherokee so you have rights to land and whatever else in regards to the Natives.

Gimme a god damn break.

That might mean something if Mike McDaniel made a big deal about his race...which he doesn't. What rights did McDaniel gain? My guess is nobody here had any idea what his ethnicity was before he was hired in Miami. He never asked for special treatment nor did he say he'd experienced racism himself. He called that out SPECIFICALLY when he was hired.

Guess what tho...that doesn't make him any less bi-racial.

I have some experience with this. I'm white and my wife is Mexican. I have two sons. They don't "identify" as anything. Everyone ELSE seeks to label them as one thing or another, but they are perfectly happy just being themselves. Thats why I COMPLETELY understood what he meant with his "I identify as a human being" comment. He's not seeking a label.

Moreover, it isn't anyone else's role to define them as one thing or the other based on their own criteria.

The 49ers got 2 third round picks based on an algorithm that has nothing to do with what someone looks like or identifies as, but what their birth certificate says they are. Thats it.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2htzaf3a said:
GemCity":2htzaf3a said:
SantaClaraHawk":2htzaf3a said:
GemCity":2htzaf3a said:

The ratio is way off…

Yup, 8% of the population comprise 60% of NFL players. Sounds like a meritocracy to me.

Going from high school to college to the pros, the athletically gifted get more and more selection preference as players. NFL evaluates players athletic ability; 40 times, 3 cone times, weightlift reps, and all kinds of data. Basically the NFL approach is we can take a superior athlete and make them more skilled and a better student of the game, but the NFL can't take an unathletic but technique savvy player who is a brilliant student of the game and make him a superior athlete. (About all that's open to those unathletic folks at higher levels of play is coaching.) When an unathletic player meets the superior athlete in a contest of speed and strength on the field, the superior athlete will nearly always prevail.

Where is the causal relationship between superior athlete and the superior tactician and teacher? Jameis Winston is clearly a superior athlete to Tom Brady. Does that give Winston an advantage as a coach? Pete Carroll couldn't play at an NFL level to make a roster, back in the day. Yet he's done OK for himself as a coach.

What number do we arbitrarily pick to say "the NFL should have x% coaches of each demographic represented in the head coaching ranks." ? 60% of coaches should be black? No, that's ridiculous on its face.

Stud

Reaction score
Marvin49":3bafaadv said:
balakoth":3bafaadv said:

Uhm, actually no. Far left liberal sh-- rags that you already claimed to read made this a race issue. One story by Deadspin had to correct themselves because they assumed he was white:

https://deadspin.com/sure-mike-mcdaniel ... 1848404929

Even leftist morons on Twitter were echoing the same sentiment until they found out he was "bi-racial".

Man, so glad you stopped posting on 49erswebzone. You were so whiny and entitled it was annoying.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Stud":ugavsswm said:
Marvin49":ugavsswm said:
balakoth":ugavsswm said:

Uhm, actually no. Far left liberal sh-- rags that you already claimed to read made this a race issue. One story by Deadspin had to correct themselves because they assumed he was white:

https://deadspin.com/sure-mike-mcdaniel ... 1848404929

Even leftist morons on Twitter were echoing the same sentiment until they found out he was "bi-racial".

Man, so glad you stopped posting on 49erswebzone. You were so whiny and entitled it was annoying.

Wow. That came outta nowhere.

For the record I never said it was a left or right issue. I said it was other people who made his race an issue, not McDaniel himself.

As for whiny and entitled, look in the mirror....Stud.

Latest posts