49ers: No plans to release Jimmy G

GemCity

Reaction score
Keeping a backup? Don’t trust Lance yet? Bit of both?

94Smith

Reaction score
I think it’s more of that he has value. If no one will trade for him because of the shoulder, they will keep him until one contender inevitably has an injury to their starter. A trade could occur in training camp or mid season. If no trade occurs then he has value to the 49ers as an average starter or good back up

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I think it’s more of that he has value. If no one will trade for him because of the shoulder, they will keep him until one contender inevitably has an injury to their starter. A trade could occur in training camp or mid season. If no trade occurs then he has value to the 49ers as an average starter or good back up
Wow, that's a little harsh, coming from a 49er fan. Seeing as how your team rode that average starter to the NFC final.

94Smith

Reaction score
They don’t want to give assets away for nothing by releasing him. Nothing wrong with being an average QB if the rest of the team is good. If they keep him in the roster and lose him in free agency they will get a 3rd round comp pick, so that is the floor for the trade. The problem is what is an average QB worth?

Wentz, Goff , Ryan , cousins, Tannehill all get paid more . Jimmy is in the mix of those starters

Jville

Reaction score
Good ....... a stand up decision by the front office.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Isn't 27 million a bit much to pay the clip board holder? Is a comp pick worth that kind of cap hit? I imagine with 27 million they could add a good player or two this season. Think it's a bluff.

Slick

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I think Jimmy will start the entire year for the 49ers and do well. Health, not the other QB guy, would be the biggest obstacle. FWIW I like the young kid too.

My rub is this: If we are looking at Kaepernick, shouldn't SFO have Glenn Foley or Alex Magoo in for a tryout?

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I think Jimmy will start the entire year for the 49ers and do well. Health, not the other QB guy, would be the biggest obstacle. FWIW I like the young kid too.

My rub is this: If we are looking at Kaepernick, shouldn't SFO have Glenn Foley or Alex Magoo in for a tryout?
Jimmy starting ? Could happen, but be wasting Lance rookie years and contract. Big advantage of a rookie QB is it allows the team to add talent around that QB, stick with Jimmy and his 27 million and you negate that advantage. If sticking with Jimmy was the actual plan, why spend all that draft capitol for Lance? To sit on the bench and look pretty? No, the 49ers are trying to find a trade for Jimmy but if that fails they'll cut Jimmy. That's the only course that makes sense once they moved up to draft Lance.

94Smith

Reaction score
They might still cut him, but they have until week one to make that decision. Inevitably a QB will get hurt in training camp.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Unless Jimmy is starting, I wouldn't have him on the roster. It won't be Trey Lance's huddle if Jimmy is still around. The respect Jimmy has from his teammates isn't any secret. The minute Lance struggles (and struggles are inevitable, he's still raw), they'll expect a change to be made. Keeping him seems like a bad idea and a potentially toxic environment for Lance's development.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
They tried to move Jimmy G but unfortunately with the cap hit and obvious limitations you don’t really need that in a rebuild. Between Jimmy and Lock I’m not sure which is the better quarterback. Jimmy is decent but we really haven’t seen Lock yet in a stable system. Denver fans like to throw him under the bus but I actually think he can ball out with DK and Lockett if they can find rhythm in the passing game

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
They don’t want to give assets away for nothing by releasing him. Nothing wrong with being an average QB if the rest of the team is good. If they keep him in the roster and lose him in free agency they will get a 3rd round comp pick, so that is the floor for the trade. The problem is what is an average QB worth?

Wentz, Goff , Ryan , cousins, Tannehill all get paid more . Jimmy is in the mix of those starters
Jimmy isn’t considered an upper echelon asset. At this point he’s more of a hindrance if you’re trying to hand it over to Lance who may not still be ready for this level.

94Smith

Reaction score
Between Jimmy and Lock I’m not sure which is the better quarterback. Jimmy is decent but we really haven’t seen Lock yet in a stable system.
There is no metric that would say that other than what you think. So far Lock stinks. He may get better sure, but he has not been better than Jimmy the last 3 seasons. Also what about the Seahawks is a stable system now? Your offensive line is going to have to improve immensely to allow Lock to succeed this year.

If you said between Lock and Lance, no idea. Impossible to judge at this point. Lance could stink more.

94Smith

Reaction score
Jimmy isn’t considered an upper echelon asset. At this point he’s more of a hindrance if you’re trying to hand it over to Lance who may not still be ready for this level.
He's a mid level QB worth at least a 3rd rounder

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
There is no metric that would say that other than what you think. So far Lock stinks. He may get better sure, but he has not been better than Jimmy the last 3 seasons. Also what about the Seahawks is a stable system now? Your offensive line is going to have to improve immensely to allow Lock to succeed this year.

If you said between Lock and Lance, no idea. Impossible to judge at this point. Lance could stink more.
The O line will be built through the draft like they did with their first run. I know Pete said it isn’t a major rebuild but it’ll take 2 drafts to be back on top in this division. Thank God for draft capital

snackdaddy

Reaction score
Garoppolo is a mid level quarterback at best. They might be stuck with him. Or a green second year guy who didn't play that many games in college. For a small school against weaker competition.

They say the 49ers have a contending roster. They could be wasting that roster because of the most important position on the field.

Oh, and then there is that coach who chokes away double digit leads in championship games. Why does that make me smile? :LOL:

94Smith

Reaction score
It's boom or bust for Trey Lance. Interesting to watch though

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
What I don't get is trading all that draft capital for Lance. That would be like Seattle trading 3 firsts to the Lions for the number 2 pick and drafting Willis who is a project at best so far.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
There are teams that would sign Mayfield if he were a free agent (I'm hoping the rumors that the Seahawks are among those teams are false), but nobody wants to pay Mayfield $18.9 million fully guaranteed this year, much less give up draft capital and/or potentially useful players for the "privilege" of being able to pay Mayfield all that money. Further, teams know the Browns need to get rid of Mayfield, so they'd rather wait for him to be cut or let their competitors make the mistake of trading for him.
Garoppolo's contract is much less unappealing than Mayfield's, because if Garoppolo sucks, the acquiring team can cut him and save a proportional amount of the $25M or more (see below) he'd cost for the whole season.

Garoppolo has a $600,000 workout bonus, and the Gold Diggers seem likely to end up paying that, unless some team trades for him before OTAs. After that, it's $24.2M in salary and $800,000 in per-game roster bonuses, for an even $25M. That means that if a team trades for Garoppolo, he'll cost that team just over $1.47M per game, but if the acquiring team at any point decides he's not worth it, he can be cut and the team won't owe him another cent beyond whatever he's been paid to that point.
So there's a decent chance a trade for Garoppolo might happen, but I'd say a 2023 third-round pick is the ceiling, not the floor (here I'm responding to 94Smith's assertion that Garoppolo is worth "at least" a third-rounder), of what teams should be willing to offer.

The Gold Diggers would probably get a 2023 third-round comp pick (which, let's remember, comes at the end of the extended third round, later than all the 2023 third-round picks teams already have) if they were to hold on to Garoppolo through the whole season and pay him the full $25.6M they'd owe him under his current contract, and then he were to go on and sign a significant contract as a free agent. Since there are multiple ways for that to go wrong between now and 2023 free agency, and since the whole Garoppolo-nets-the-Diggers-a-third-round-comp-pick scenario would involve the Gold Diggers holding on for the whole 2022 season to a mediocre QB who costs over $25M and who doesn't appear to be in the team's post-2022 plans, a late 2023 third-rounder looks like the ceiling for what a sane GM would pay to get Garoppolo. Of course, NFL GMs do stupid things with surprising frequency, and that's why I qualified my statement with "sane."

Using the rule of thumb that a pick in a given round next year is roughly worth a pick in the next round after that this year, the ceiling in 2022 draft capital would be somewhere in the neighborhood of a 2022 fourth-round comp pick, especially because a team acquiring Garoppolo before this year's draft would owe him the $600,000 workout bonus, making him that much more expensive for the acquiring team.

If I were an NFL GM and I thought Garoppolo could help my team with its goals, I wouldn't offer more than a package equivalent to a 2023 third-round comp pick or a 2022 fourth-round comp pick (or maybe even an early 2022 fifth-round pick).