49ers waive K Chase McLaughlin

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1sawjnzv said:
OK some people on the Webzone know who he is.

But TBF people expected Taylor and Hurd. And once it became obvious they wouldn't go, there was more buzz around Verrett.

Even Wikipedia, which usually carries at least college stats, has barely any idea of who he is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentavius_Street

But anyway. He's a DE, Shanalynch feels they need the depth there, can't blame them for that. But you already saw KS's press transcript (https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/12/3/ ... e-shanahan). He all but said he's done with Pettis there and was keeping him virtually out of games even before the injury.

They carried an inactive QB3 through this year, but in a year of instability for Gould, they shredded not only their insurance but also someone young (23) who was already performing for them when they didn't need to do that.

ETA: I thought the Yoda pic was actually the Hobbit. It's what certain fans have referred to RW as for years.

Hobbits are too tall.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Across 14 seasons Robbie Gould was one of the best kickers in NFL history who just months ago signed a new contract, and he's on a very bad 8 game stretch right now.

Really, the question is do you pay 10 million dollars for the privilege of getting rid of one of the best kickers in NFL history who has had a rough half season in order to keep a UDFA who hasn't lit the world on fire either?

I just don't see any world in which you do that.

If the 9ers end up losing a playoff game on a Gould kick I'm sure all the monday morning quarterbacks will feast on it and crow about how smart they are and dumb Shanahan is, but they'd do the exact same thing if the 9ers cut Gould or kept him seated and McLaughlin cost them a playoff game on a kick. Heck, in that scenario they'd probably even be smarmier about how great they are and how dumb Shanahan is. You just gotta ignore those people.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2frojg1r said:
Across 14 seasons Robbie Gould was one of the best kickers in NFL history who just months ago signed a new contract, and he's on a very bad 8 game stretch right now.

Really, the question is do you pay 10 million dollars for the privilege of getting rid of one of the best kickers in NFL history who has had a rough half season in order to keep a UDFA who hasn't lit the world on fire either?

I just don't see any world in which you do that.

If the 9ers end up losing a playoff game on a Gould kick I'm sure all the monday morning quarterbacks will feast on it and crow about how smart they are and dumb Shanahan is, but they'd do the exact same thing if the 9ers cut Gould or kept him seated and McLaughlin cost them a playoff game on a kick. Heck, in that scenario they'd probably even be smarmier about how great they are and how dumb Shanahan is. You just gotta ignore those people.

This: http://www.knbr.com/2019/12/01/see-you- ... -key-area/

"As much as the Ravens love to go for it on fourth down, sometimes they need a long field goal. And when they do, Tucker (22-of-23 on the year) is almost always there.

"Simply put, Tucker could be easily argued as the best kicker in the NFL. Gould could be argued as the worst kicker in the NFL this season.

"Gould has missed all three of his attempts from 50-plus yards, is 2-of-4 from the 40-to-49-yard range, and at 14-of-22 on the season. His 63.6 field goal make percentage is the worst in the league (min. 14 attempts)."

Vinitieri is around 71 percent this year by comparison, and all you hear about is how much he's dropped off and sucks this year. He won't be back for next.

Just b/c Gould is younger doesn't mean similar hasn't already happened to him. As begrudging as this is from a Hawks fan, yes this could be your year--but FGs are a part of it.

And it's not a dilemma of "do I let $10M in dead money walk for the kid." They had enough room on the roster for both to at least put off the decision and maybe get a trade in the offseason. Pinero hasn't been impressive, so who knows, CHI could be a suitor.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1202353855490605057[/tweet]

TAB420

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":30cy7v03 said:
SantaClaraHawk":30cy7v03 said:
https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/12/3/20994272/49ers-waive-k-chase-mclaughlin-sign-wr-chris-thompson-to-practice-squad

Both Sherm and more seriously Tartt have been hurt, and they might be looking to fill that position with a DB. I get that reasoning, but not getting rid of insurance for a kicker who's been struggling all year, can't make money kicks and that they keep making excuses for declining ability. First it was the LS. Then it was a n/c practice injury. And now, they've waived their insurance policy to keep someone like Dante Pettis around when they could easily IR him.

The confirmation bias is astounding. Some high round picks suck. Some people you pay end up sucking more after they get paid. It means you have to MOVE ON when that happens.

Chase Mcglaughlin was better than Gould this year overall. But Chase did miss a very key potential game winner that he kicked down the tunnel instead of through the uprights vs. the Seahawks. that was obviously very costly.

Not as costly as the no-call facemask on RW that led to a 14 point swing in the 4th.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":rihsqnn6 said:
SanDiego49er":rihsqnn6 said:
I can't believe your kicking game has been any worse than ours. It's been a disaster for the 49ers. Early in the year both the first string snapper and holder were hurt or suspended. We had off the street scrub guys doing the snap and hold. They would literally muff the snap and hold. Can you imagine? For an NFL team. Then Gould got hurt. His quad is injured badly somehow. Strain or pull but pretty bad. He lost all his strength. He is back now but his kicks are super weak. I would not trust him at all on a long kick if you needed it.

Regardless of how 9er media spins that Gould is healthy/you can't have two kickers on your 53, and NOT calling out Gould on that missed 51 yard FG, regular fans see it differently (see comments in the OP link).

That kick was severely short. It barely hit the EZ. The Gould apologists cite the block attempt, but again, weaker kicks make that play more possible. Had they gotten that one, they would have gone to OT.

They opened the practice window for IR'ed DL Kentavius Street: https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/12 ... claughlin/ That's who would take the roster spot. He's been out on knee issues for two years since being picked by them in the fourth round. Most people are wondering how they still have this guy, but whatever.

I've admired Shanalynch's depth decisions all season. But this is stupid to cut McLaughlin with only four games left when they could IR Pettis for the roster spot. KS has been telling media since SEA that he's disappointed in Pettis, hasnt put Pettis in games and is unconcerned about Pettis coming back after his practice injury. They aren't gonna keep him, and unlikely they can even trade him.

Meanwhile, looks like they gave the Patriots a freebie.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patrio ... ing-issues

I believe the kick that came up very short was partially blocked. At least that is what guys on saying on the Webzone. Still I think Gould is partially involved in that. In this way. He got injured. His leg is weaker and his confidence is shot. So he kicked it low (it got partially blocked). To make it there. Because he didn't have the confidence to strongly put it through.

I understand the argument that you can't keep 2 kickers on a 53 man roster. Sometimes I wish the NFL rosters were like 55. There has been talk of doing that. Then you could keep around a backup kicker in case of injuries or an extra special teams ace who doesn't have much other value. I think there is some value to a 54 or 55 man roster. But it is what it is. So with 53 you really can't keep 2 kickers. I understand the concept and don't really disagree.

But I do think overall Chase Mcglaughlin was the better kicker THIS YEAR for the 49ers. Yes he hit that potential game winner vs. the Seahawks down the tunnel instead of through the uprights. And he deserves due criticism for choking big time there. But for the most part he hit almost all his other kicks including other pressure ones. He also showed a strong leg and could hit from deep with good strength and accuracy. Gould has been a head case all year. Short kicks, lack of strength, hook left, slice right. You name it. He has been inaccurate and will cost you when the game is on the line or to tie it up. Yes Gould has been good over his career. A lot of it I think is the injury. But his confidence is really shot this year too. It seems with the injury, previous shaky kicking and lack of strength he doesn't trust himself right now. I don't trust him either. Especially not heading into the playoffs. But I hope for the best. He does worry me a lot though and with good reason. At least this year anyway.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Dude, Gould is worst in the league this year at 63 percent. Vinitieri is higher than that, but his kicking situation has already cost the Colts at least 2-4 wins, hence them bringing in McLaughlin even though they are out of the playoffs.

It doesn't matter what Gould's previous year stats were, what matters is that he's fallen like 20 percentage points this year for whatever excuse people are making.

I'd rather see you go down for reasons other than the kicker frankly. Feels cleaner that way. But close games come down to a FG often, and as I said, 9ers could have easily kept the kid as insurance due to their roster fat as it looks like the Colts will now.

This could potentially be Shanalynch's biggest mistake.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3j9p8uro said:
Dude, Gould is worst in the league this year at 63 percent. Vinitieri is higher than that, but his kicking situation has already cost the Colts at least 2-4 wins, hence them bringing in McLaughlin even though they are out of the playoffs.

It doesn't matter what Gould's previous year stats were, what matters is that he's fallen like 20 percentage points this year for whatever excuse people are making.

I'd rather see you go down for reasons other than the kicker frankly. Feels cleaner that way. But close games come down to a FG often, and as I said, 9ers could have easily kept the kid as insurance due to their roster fat as it looks like the Colts will now.

This could potentially be Shanalynch's biggest mistake.

I don't really disagree with you here. He has been costly to us. Honestly kicking overall has been deeply costly to the 49ers. Chase Mcglaughlin had a game winner lined up vs the Seahawks and kicked it down the tunnel. Seahawks go the other way and score. We lose by 3. Gould has a chance at a long FG which would have put 20 on the board overall for the 49ers in the game vs. the Ravens. He misses. We lose 20 - 17. We could have at least had a tie and overtime potentially in that game. You would much rather have OT than not have the chance at it whatever the outcome.

We are 10 - 2 and really 2 games were lost or lacked a tie as a result of the kicking game. 2 games have come down to this. It's a big weakness and a fatal flaw IMO. I would have rather kept Chase Mcglaughlin. I thought he was better overall this year. Gould has not inspired me with any confidence at all.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Sometimes Ks are going to cost you the game. It happened with Zuerlein (who is excellent) against us. The kid just started for you, and I was amazed it got to OT with him.

I don't see Gould doing that, I doubt the 9ers or their opponents do either, so maybe the game gets weighted toward more 2-point conversions/4th and shorts. But statistically, you in that situation are less than 2 of 3 and 0 of 4 at 50--and those scenarios come up a lot in playoffs. All that can be done from 9ers POV is to try to get yards to do a chip shot and not get intercepted doing so.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2z03lu4b said:
Sometimes Ks are going to cost you the game. It happened with Zuerlein (who is excellent) against us. The kid just started for you, and I was amazed it got to OT with him.

I don't see Gould doing that, I doubt the 9ers or their opponents do either, so maybe the game gets weighted toward more 2-point conversions/4th and shorts. But statistically, you in that situation are less than 2 of 3 and 0 of 4 at 50--and those scenarios come up a lot in playoffs. All that can be done from 9ers POV is to try to get yards to do a chip shot and not get intercepted doing so.

They go for it a lot now on 4th down now. Trying to get it closer. Because they don't trust their kicking game. But that can be costly too. You don't always get those. Sometimes you get nothing. You have got to be able to hit the long, deep, pressure kick at the end of the half and at the end of the game. If you can't it can be trouble in big games and especially in the playoffs. It may well get you beat. It's one of our greatest weaknesses now. The kicking game. Playoff games can and do often come down to kicking.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I think this is what's happening on the Pats with BB trying to minimize the kicking game. To some extent it's worked, but Hoodie knows it won't last into the playoffs.

We have a middle-of-the-roader. If he makes 80 percent seasonwide, still a B. We signed him and gave him the guaranteed money already (5+M) and if he doesn't work out later not that big a deal.

The Gould contract is more than twice that and spread out, leading to a perceived limitation of their options. Unless the guy descends even further into fail territory, almost positive they won't cut bait this year, maybe next unless he doubles his negative production.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":11sli5k6 said:
I think this is what's happening on the Pats with BB trying to minimize the kicking game. To some extent it's worked, but Hoodie knows it won't last into the playoffs.

We have a middle-of-the-roader. If he makes 80 percent seasonwide, still a B. We signed him and gave him the guaranteed money already (5+M) and if he doesn't work out later not that big a deal.

The Gould contract is more than twice that and spread out, leading to a perceived limitation of their options. Unless the guy descends even further into fail territory, almost positive they won't cut bait this year, maybe next unless he doubles his negative production.

That's a big part of why they kept Gould IMO. Although they will never admit as much. His salary is too much and too much guaranteed. They owe him too much money if they cut him. Plus they would have dead money on the cap next year which would lead to lack of ability to sign other players with that money. That's why they kept him and let Mcglaughlin go.

They really have to hope he gets more healthy, regains his confidence and starts kicking a lot better. Sometimes that happens and sometimes it doesn't. There certainly are situations where a guy is injured, he gets more healthy eventually and starts playing better. That's their best hope. But it's no guarantee.

He is back from the leg injury. But to me it's obvious he is not 100% Will he round into closer to 100% by the end of the season and the start of the playoffs? That's the question.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Having some competition can help. Look, Vinitieri's injury appears to be minor, and he's always been a competitor. I wouldn't be surprised if he kicks a couple games perfect as a result of this.

The same could be said of Gould--had that competition been allowed to remain. As it is, he's only got himself to motivate himself. He shanks it in the Dome, blames laces or a preseason or practice injury, everyone will go along with it and he knows it and will still get paid.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Watch this kid become the next great one.

Then again, choking on your first game winning kick in the NFL is pretty pathetic. Especially choking like that, kicking it all the way into the tunnel.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":12g27a9k said:
Guess he didn't get far enough for Hoody to get him. I was wrong.

Not entirely wrong. Evil Hoody tried.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2019/12/5/20 ... ff-waivers

They're probably going back to the guy they cut while he was in the hospital for an appendectomy now. Who knows what that did to dude's morale That plus their self-inflicted wideout problems (signing the disturbed AB, trading Thomas as a result, then waiving Gordon) puts Hoody in a role of having people feel sorry for him. Which I don't.

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":j6rrm0iy said:
SanDiego49er":j6rrm0iy said:
Maulbert":j6rrm0iy said:
Everyone seems to have kicking problems, unless your kicker is named Justin Tucker.

Tucker looks amazing to me. He seems to hit long, deep kicks even in cold driving rain storms. Plus they are right down the middle. I would love to have a kicker like him. He is not effected by the cold weather where it is tougher to kick long or by a high pressure situation when you really need the kick to win.

He's the best kicker in football. Period.

Yeah, I think he's maybe the only kicker who wins that game in that weather against the Niners last second.

Latest posts