4D Chess Play Calling

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Your right. They would have been disciplined.
Just wouldn't have worked. These were players that transcended the regular ability to discipline. It's a tightrope balancing act putting so many different cats, highly-strung dudes on the same team and put them all in the position to play well.

The LOB does not happen under a "my way or the highway" guru-type. It just doesn't.

Holmgren was great, but he would've lost that locker room or parts of it - or simply never put it together functionally enough to become what they became.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Just wouldn't have worked. These were players that transcended the regular ability to discipline. It's a tightrope balancing act putting so many different cats, highly-strung dudes on the same team and put them all in the position to play well.

The LOB does not happen under a "my way or the highway" guru-type. It just doesn't.

Holmgren was great, but he would've lost that locker room or parts of it - or simply never put it together functionally enough to become what they became.

Well Pete lost it too so who knows?

cymatica

Reaction score
Ñ

That's all speculation, but it only actually worked for a couple years and imploded after sb49. Sherman called out Bevell during a game, ET and Wagner started a beef on Twitter, ET asked Dallas to come get him and gave his coaches the finger in a game, Tate was insulted and left because Pete and John snubbed him while wasting money on Harvin(who Tate did not like), there was a rift between Wilson and the defense and Pete made it worse.

Basically, as soon as they faced real adversity after 49, Pete was not able to manage it. The rollercoaster derailed.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Ñ

That's all speculation, but it only actually worked for a couple years and imploded after sb49. Sherman called out Bevell during a game, ET and Wagner started a beef on Twitter, ET asked Dallas to come get him and gave his coaches the finger in a game, Tate was insulted and left because Pete and John snubbed him while wasting money on Harvin(who Tate did not like), there was a rift between Wilson and the defense and Pete made it worse.

Basically, as soon as they faced real adversity after 49, Pete was not able to manage it. The rollercoaster derailed.
Of course. It's a hypothetical, but I think it tracks. I don't think such a tempestuous roster is particularly manageable without sustained success.

Although they did win playoff games in both 2015 and 2016. It fell apart in no small part due to injury ending some careers - wasn't just "he lost 'em."

Holmgren had us in the same "purgatory" periods that we complain about now. Difference is we were still hungry for that first chip and didn't have the sky-high expectations that 20 years of winning straight give you. Winning was newer with Holmgren.