4th Round - 144th pick - DeeJay Dallas RB Miami

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Plus pass protector, doesn't go down very easily, has some receiving chops

Knock on him is vision and speed (mostly speed, some sources say his vision is iffy, some say it's excellent. I think he's a bit slow to the hole sometimes)

Good pick if you want immediate depth at the position

Keeping with the theme: He's versatile and learned a new position without too much trouble

jeremiah

Reaction score
SMH, this is on par with the draft by Jack Patera of a fat slow O lineman who said "someone drafted me" "I was gonna open a donut shop"...

AgentDib

Reaction score
Dallas is a third down back and special teamer. Great hands, former WR and an excellent pass protector. That's a role that we need; he's not a future Carson replacement.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I see that as a RB...
He needs to run from the shotgun because he's too slow.
I sense a wasted pick unless he's going back to WR.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jeremiah":102gqja8 said:
SMH, this is on par with the draft by Jack Patera of a fat slow O lineman who said "someone drafted me" "I was gonna open a donut shop"...

How?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
jeremiah":1k7rde33 said:

His highlights show better football speed than I expected, given his 40 time.

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3lp1u76e said:
mikeak":3lp1u76e said:
This is a punt and kickoff returner pick solely

Good move we needed that

"Solely" to start with

I don't know if he has the speed for that job in the NFL.

Not for Hester home run kind of returns, but to get first guy to miss then get 10-15 yards?

In field position football I think that is where he starts

olyfan63

Reaction score
I like this pick! I see what the Hawks see in him.
At first his tape looks uninspiring. But it grew on me.

This guy is a very good fit for the Seahawks run-heavy offense.
* Runs very well between the tackles
* Quick to the hole
* Excellent vision, awareness of where defenders and blockers are
* Uses blockers well, takes plays that look like nothing and turns them into something, with patience and creativity
* Very good receiver for screens, has a knack of where to be, and then uses blocks well
* Looks like a special teams ace, and I could see him doing well returning punts.

I think he will be an effective backup for Carson, and take some of the load off.
Where Penny is reluctant to run up the middle, Dallas is comfortable and effective with this
I get the sense he will run the play as it was drawn up and intended, and make the correct reads based on the situation

Looks like a smart guy.
HS QB. Remember 2012 when Sidney Rice and Golden Tate threw TD passes for the Hawks? Dallas is a threat there as well. I especially remember Tate throwing with the wrong hand and still zinging it home for the TD!

Someone mentioned training him as Wilson's backup; perhaps joking, but he probably has the smarts and arm to do that. Dallas took a number of direct snaps in the highlights film.

Also, he is new to the RB position and has upside and growth room in the NFL with the coaching and physical development he'll get here.

I expect to see Dallas make the team and get some reps spelling Carson, reducing the wear and tear on Carson, without giving up too much Carson's effectiveness.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I like that he's a former QB. Indicates he likely has an offensive understanding that goes beyond a lot of RB's.
Plus RB option plays anyone?

Suspect he's depth and special teams help for now (much like Homer last year). If Penny and Carson heal up well, our RB group has a decent mix of speed, toughness and versatility.

I think Carson, Homer and Penny will be the core guys this year.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
MrThortan":4gg05rqg said:
He's a little guy. Plenty of smaller RBs have been tearing up the league though. Not real excited about this pick after reading his NFL profile. I'm a dumb-dumb though, so maybe he will transform into a perennial pro-bowler.
There’s nothing little about him he’s the same size as Marshawn Lynch, 5-10, 217 lbs.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":q5fhfl4f said:
jeremiah":q5fhfl4f said:

How?

He won't make the team and nobody will pick him up. He is a short FB, in a league and on a team that doesn't use them.

The only thing I can see is he could be a slow WR, or maybe he will convert to LT. Who wants to be blocked by a midget? For the position he plays, he is not the best pick. This pick shows that dementia is setting in for the coach? He will play special teams, in a league where there is no kickoff returns, and punt returns require some 4.4 speed?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jeremiah":1xohlk16 said:
Maelstrom787":1xohlk16 said:
jeremiah":1xohlk16 said:

How?

He won't make the team and nobody will pick him up. He is a short FB, in a league and on a team that doesn't use them.

The only thing I can see is he could be a slow WR, or maybe he will convert to LT. Who wants to be blocked by a midget? For the position he plays, he is not the best pick. This pick shows that dementia is setting in for the coach? He will play special teams, in a league where there is no kickoff returns, and punt returns require some 4.4 speed?

He's obviously not a fullback, dude. He's a decent depth running back who can pass protect well and break tackles, plus receiving ability as a WR convert.

Also, special teams is more than just the return man. You've got gunners, blockers, rushers... etc.

P.S. In what world is a 5'10" running back classified as a "midget?"

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1rnm701u said:
jeremiah":1rnm701u said:
This pick shows that dementia is setting in for the coach?

Wow. Okay.

I know, right? Does the coach make the call all alone? What kind of thinking leads to that conclusion?

jeremiah

Reaction score
Would he be an effective player in the CFL? Maybe. He could have been picked up as a FA. JMO 5' 10" is not a midget RB, but he is short for a TE, and slow for a WR.

4.58 40 yard dash. Speed kills, and the victim is usually the slowest.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jeremiah":18w8mbg4 said:
Would he be an effective player in the CFL? Maybe. He could have been picked up as a FA. JMO 5' 10" is not a midget RB, but he is short for a TE, and slow for a WR.

A. He was projected by most sources as a day 3 pick. He was a day 3 pick.

B. Why in the world would you judge his height using criteria for a tight end? He's a running back... not a 5'10" tight end.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jeremiah":8ervrupu said:

4.58 40 yard dash. Speed kills, and the victim is usually the slowest.

Same exact 40 time as Chris Carson.