7-3.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is a game the Seahawks had to win. The noise from the fans and media was palpable all week long. You don't think the players hear the noise? Of course they do. In this era of social media it's virtually impossible for them not to.

Which is fine by me. That just means they get angry. And as we saw tonight, an angry defense is a productive defense. I frustrated offense is a focused offense. Did any of us really think Russell was going to play like sh*t for three straight games? If you did, shame on you.

The man has yet to lose three straight and I really didn't think it was going to start tonight. For one, the media has been practically anointing the Cardinals as the Second Coming because of their mini winning streak, and you would have thought that "Hail Murray" occurred at the end of the Super Bowl. Give me a break. Great play, not trying to undermine that play for them but the media always latches on to the teet of the flavor of the week. After all this is a league that is all about "what have you done for me lately?"

Remember when the Bucs got their butts handed to them on national TV by the Saints? Suddenly what's wrong with the Bucs? What happened? Brady is clearly too old and it shows. The next week the Bucs methodically handle the Panthers, Brady throws for 3 TDs, over 300 yards and no picks.

The point is, it's utterly ridiculous for fans to get so fired up from week-to-week. Yes, it's in our nature and that will never change and that's okay, but it's still funny to be a part of it, and witness it year-after-year.

Last week: "This team is garbage!! Trade Russell and see what we can get for him NOW!!!"

This week: "Gutty performance! We're back on track on with a legit shot at the #1 seed due to our remaining schedule!"

Oh the dichotomy.

The toughest part of being a diehard fan is we are so damn emotionally invested and no matter how much we hope and pray for a positive outcome any given gameday...We know, in the very end, nothing we think, pray, say or do, can have ANY effect whatsoever on the game itself.

All we can do is watch. Pray. Hope. Yet, whatever happens, happens. I think after 45 years of watching this team I have finally figured it out. Pulling for your team to win is like praying and hoping that your life, your family, your friends, will all turn out okay. And hopefully that is the case for you. However, like in life, no amount of hoping, praying, wishing, thinking can necessarily change the course of inevitability.

Without getting too dark, I think you know what I am saying. In life, there are simply no guarantees, and that's part of the thrill with being so emotionally invested in a team. A tribe. You roll with that tribe for better or for worse. In sickness and in health. You don't have to like it sometimes, you can throw a fit at times, you can be a complete jerk about it at times...

But you stay because you love. And this team has always been worthy of my love. Yes, even in the Dan McGwire, John Gelbaugh, Jeff Kemp years. Talk about a decade to forget, for the most part the 90's was a ridiculous comedy of errors on so many levels. Yet, many of us older diehards stuck through it. We felt, eventually, things would turn around and it absolutely did.

So here we are. 6-3 taking on 6-3. Russell was coming off his biggest slump of his career. The defense marred in the worst statistical defense in NFL history. Injuries abound. Lost 3 of the last 4. See, in these times it's EASY to be negative and expect the worst. It's not so easy to remain positive despite the noise. Yet, that is precisely what I just witnessed tonight.

Pete Carroll and his coaches prepared this team for a victory. The players prepared themselves for a victory.

Despite the noise. Despite the negativity surrounding them. THAT, to me, is a victory beyond a single W in the win column this week. It speaks unbelievable volumes about the resolve and character of this football team.

Given the obstacles, the injuries, the noise, the negativity, the stats...I can't remember the last time I have been this proud of this team.

7-3.

W

Welshers

Excellent post. Always appreciate your positivity Aros. I really think this team has what it takes to compete for the SB. Call me crazy, but I think they have a shot.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Welshers":18eig5dv said:
Excellent post. Always appreciate your positivity Aros. I really think this team has what it takes to compete for the SB. Call me crazy, but I think they have a shot.

Thanks brother, and guess what?

You're not crazy.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Aros":37b0tz2u said:
This is a game the Seahawks had to win. The noise from the fans and media was palpable all week long. You don't think the players hear the noise? Of course they do. In this era of social media it's virtually impossible for them not to.

Which is fine by me. That just means they get angry. And as we saw tonight, an angry defense is a productive defense. I frustrated offense is a focused offense. Did any of us really think Russell was going to play like sh*t for three straight games? If you did, shame on you.

The man has yet to lose three straight and I really didn't think it was going to start tonight. For one, the media has been practically anointing the Cardinals as the Second Coming because of their mini winning streak, and you would have thought that "Hail Murray" occurred at the end of the Super Bowl. Give me a break. Great play, not trying to undermine that play for them but the media always latches on to the teet of the flavor of the week. After all this is a league that is all about "what have you done for me lately?"

Remember when the Bucs got their butts handed to them on national TV by the Saints? Suddenly what's wrong with the Bucs? What happened? Brady is clearly too old and it shows. The next week the Bucs methodically handle the Panthers, Brady throws for 3 TDs, over 300 yards and no picks.

The point is, it's utterly ridiculous for fans to get so fired up from week-to-week. Yes, it's in our nature and that will never change and that's okay, but it's still funny to be a part of it, and witness it year-after-year.

Last week: "This team is garbage!! Trade Russell and see what we can get for him NOW!!!"

This week: "Gutty performance! We're back on track on with a legit shot at the #1 seed due to our remaining schedule!"

Oh the dichotomy.

The toughest part of being a diehard fan is we are so damn emotionally invested and no matter how much we hope and pray for a positive outcome any given gameday...We know, in the very end, nothing we think, pray, say or do, can have ANY effect whatsoever on the game itself.

All we can do is watch. Pray. Hope. Yet, whatever happens, happens. I think after 45 years of watching this team I have finally figured it out. Pulling for your team to win is like praying and hoping that your life, your family, your friends, will all turn out okay. And hopefully that is the case for you. However, like in life, no amount of hoping, praying, wishing, thinking can necessarily change the course of inevitability.

Without getting too dark, I think you know what I am saying. In life, there are simply no guarantees, and that's part of the thrill with being so emotionally invested in a team. A tribe. You roll with that tribe for better or for worse. In sickness and in health. You don't have to like it sometimes, you can throw a fit at times, you can be a complete jerk about it at times...

But you stay because you love. And this team has always been worthy of my love. Yes, even in the Dan McGwire, John Gelbaugh, Jeff Kemp years. Talk about a decade to forget, for the most part the 90's was a ridiculous comedy of errors on so many levels. Yet, many of us older diehards stuck through it. We felt, eventually, things would turn around and it absolutely did.

So here we are. 6-3 taking on 6-3. Russell was coming off his biggest slump of his career. The defense marred in the worst statistical defense in NFL history. Injuries abound. Lost 3 of the last 4. See, in these times it's EASY to be negative and expect the worst. It's not so easy to remain positive despite the noise. Yet, that is precisely what I just witnessed tonight.

Pete Carroll and his coaches prepared this team for a victory. The players prepared themselves for a victory.

Despite the noise. Despite the negativity surrounding them. THAT, to me, is a victory beyond a single W in the win column this week. It speaks unbelievable volumes about the resolve and character of this football team.

Given the obstacles, the injuries, the noise, the negativity, the stats...I can't remember the last time I have been this proud of this team.

7-3.

Great post, but if you think that nothing the fans say, think and do, has any effect on the Seahawks, then you're crazy. Every sports franchise has people designated to scan television, forums, radio shows etc. They know the fans pay the bills, so if enough fans are unhappy, it starts to affect the ratings, merchandise sales and so on. They might not listen o the individual fan, but they listen to the collective (eventually).

themunn

Reaction score
7-3 and while any given Sunday we really should be looking at 11-3 barring a catastrophe.

All of a sudden things look good - with the Rams return leg at Lumen, and the 49ers struggles this year, 13-3 looks to be a realistic possibility once again, if we get players back fit and healthy.

Most of our rivals for the 1 seed have tough games ahead - the Cardinals and Rams have 2 games against each other, Saints will be without Brees for an extended time, Bucs have back to back games against Rams & Chiefs before playing resurgent Vikings and Falcons teams who are better than their records suggest. The Packers are the one team who look to have a soft run-in, though they have a couple of tricky games against AFC opponents (Titans, Colts), and if the Bears can get their offensive act together they could pose a challenge. That Mayowa 4th down penalty in the first Cardinals game looms large as it is probably the difference between 7-3 and 8-2, but we've won our share of close finishes that went against us so have to accept these things sometimes go against you.

But right now it feels GOOD to be a Seahawks fan.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Thank you, Aros/Todd, for one of the most succinct and accurate posts I've ever read. Let us be glad, for a *lot* could be worse. Many other teams' fans would envy us.

We DID it! Let's enjoy our 7-3 weekend, and welcome back a running game.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Bravo!

You know it's kind of weird. In past seasons, the bad stretches bothered me more, and I don't think it was simply an inability to see the goal through the haze.

This year, I've been very comfortable with our losses. They weren't head scratchers. There were things we were clearly doing wrong. Easily identifiable, and easily fixed. Our wins haven't felt like complete nail biters that could go either way. Not once this season have I had that weird feeling where a win feels more like a loss, or a loss feels more like a win.

This is the most relaxed and confident I have ever felt as a Seahawks fan. I feel like there is a process, and a goal. Pete has his eye on the finish of the season, and where he wants the team to be come playoff time. I feel like I can see what his vision is, and I can see the team moving in that direction.

I see a defense that was retooled in the off season, that had to be rebuilt almost immediately in-season. I see a defense that is only going to get better, and not just because of the easy competition ahead.

I see a offense that can relax a bit, and doesn't have to hit the home run every time they step up to the plate.

I see a deep playoff run ahead.

I'm not saying I'm at the point where I feel like a ring is the capstone of the season. We have some seriously tough competition in the playoffs that may well include both of our nemesis teams.

I'm just incredible relaxed this season. The goal is clear, as is the in-season development of the team.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Awesome post. And, I told you guys :D

As much as I'd love for the Rams to win the division, Seattle should be 11-3 going into our game - 10-4 worst case, and that would require a pretty huge letdown.

On the flip side, our next 4 are TB, SF, AZ and NE - road/home/road/home - I think our best bet is a split and hope Seattle loses one.

But if I'm being honest, I think Seattle clinched the NFCW last night.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I just hope everyone made it home from the stadium. Did you see the crowd out there??? it was nuts. :mrgreen:

Great post Aros.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TypeSly":3mrk6wqq said:
Great post, but if you think that nothing the fans say, think and do, has any effect on the Seahawks, then you're crazy. Every sports franchise has people designated to scan television, forums, radio shows etc. They know the fans pay the bills, so if enough fans are unhappy, it starts to affect the ratings, merchandise sales and so on. They might not listen o the individual fan, but they listen to the collective (eventually).

Oh make no mistake, I understand that completely. My point is once the players take the field, it's all on them. It has nothing to do with our hopes and desires for a particular outcome. Once they step on the field it is up to them as players to execute the game plan using their God-given talents. Either they do, or they don't execute which affects the outcome of a game, not how much I am praying in my living room that the result is what I am hoping for.

Do you think all the collective Bills fans praying for a victory on that final play of the "Hail Murray" had any effect?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I called for AZ to beat us. I lost all confidence in the defense. I also called this team to win 13 games as i thought defense would be decent.

They will win 12 games.

sutz

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2wcriur8 said:
I called for AZ to beat us. I lost all confidence in the defense. I also called this team to win 13 games as i thought defense would be decent.

They will win at least 12 games.

FIFY :mrgreen:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This was far from a must win. It obviously helped, but even if we had lost this game, we still make the playoffs and go on a huge run to end the season. This does help us win the division though.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":220x5zrn said:
This was far from a must win. It obviously helped, but even if we had lost this game, we still make the playoffs and go on a huge run to end the season. This does help us win the division though.

I do not agree. This WAS a must win for the mentality of this team before they go on their easy part of the season. They needed this win emotionally. 6-4, lost 4 of the past 5? Man that is detrimental to the mental makeup to any team. Doubt creeps in, you start to press...Hell yes this was a must win game.

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":a2buz88h said:

Oh the dichotomy.

7-3.

Nice post Aros!!!

sutz

Reaction score
As fans, we tend to over use the "must win" label. What was needed was a statement game. The team needed to go out and play to their potential, play more disciplined, with more energy. It is getting late in the season for that to happen.

Must win might be a bit of a reach when just thinking playoffs, but it was a critical division win at an important time and makes a playoff run and a shot at that precious #1 seed a lot easier.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Must Win in this context I am referring to is more from the collective team mental side of things, not so much record standings. I get that most folks equate the "Must Win" phrase in regards to mathematical records in regards to post season hopes, but I mean Must Win in the sense of mental health for a team that has been faltering in recent weeks be it Russ, the D, coaching questions, etc. A loss last night would have been catastrophic on an emotional level that could have had repercussions lasting into the rest of the season.

sutz

Reaction score
Aros":192q8so7 said:
Must Win in this context I am referring to is more from the collective team mental side of things, not so much record standings. I get that most folks equate the "Must Win" phrase in regards to mathematical records in regards to post season hopes, but I mean Must Win in the sense of mental health for a team that has been faltering in recent weeks be it Russ, the D, coaching questions, etc. A loss last night would have been catastrophic on an emotional level that could have had repercussions lasting into the rest of the season.
Can't disagree with that statement. They definitely needed that kind of statement game. Fact is, we led the entire game and while AZ with Murray back there is a dangerous team, we actually contained them fairly well. Nice confidence builder, for sure.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Absolutely! Although the score was somewhat close, I never really felt the game was ever in doubt.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
But there was a concern to me...as after all...DARK Helmet was on the field for their team. That is what it looked like when Kyler Murray was out there. I was amused. I thought his shwartz was gonna be bigger than RWs. :lol: :twisted: :twisted: