7-7 And I Feel Fine.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The defense got ****** over losing J Adams in the first game of the season. We woulda been far better off without him completley.
I can't disagree that was a huge loss. I think we are missing a leader in the defense. There's some talent there for sure, but nobody really seems to be able to lead them. I think bringing in Bruce helped a little, but they need more. Adams may be that key player.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I can't disagree that was a huge loss. I think we are missing a leader in the defense. There's some talent there for sure, but nobody really seems to be able to lead them. I think bringing in Bruce helped a little, but they need more. Adams may be that key player.
While his leadership on the field has been missed, where is he off the field?

I don't think I've seen a single shot of him on the sidelines. Why isn't he getting in Barton's face telling him he stinks? Why isn't he yelling as Brooks to do something? He can be an off the field leader as well imo.

And maybe he is, but I want to see some passion out there!

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Let's go back to months back when our expectations were bottom barrell. Vegas had our ceiling at 5.5 wins. Zero expectations. Yet, Geno became a phenom, the rookies were a revelation. We have been playing with house money ever since we went on that 4 game winning streak mid season. Now reality has come crashing down and here we are .500 with an outside prayer of a chance to make a wildcard but with the Chiefs and Jets looming, that seems a long shot.

Still, I can't help but feel fine. Even last night, I watched the game with such apathy it was frightening to me. At one point I nonchalantly turned the channel to watch a movie. I've NEVER done that before. Especially not a nationally televised, divisional, HUGE game. But I was okay with it all. Well, okay, not okay with looking like dog doo against our arch rivals but strangely not angry or upset as I might normally have been.

And that's because the future is blindingly bright to me. Geno's struggles of late are simply due to facing the best defense in the NFL, or last week due to no running game to speak of, et al. We should sign him to a deal that makes fiscal sense whether that means the franchise tag or a contract that doesn't overpay. With 4 picks in the what, top 45 of the 2023 draft means we have a legitimate shot to not only address our most dire need (DL) but hit a homerun with someone like Jalen Carter.

Regardless of how we finish, our talented rookie class has gained invaluable experience this year. It will pay dividends moving forward.

As A-Rod would say... R-E-L-A-X. All is well. Our graph is pointing skyward.
And, as a further small comment about how okay anyone might be with where we are:

Note: Geno Smith STILL has the highest completion percentage in the NFL. And we're about to miss the playoffs.

Elon style - let THAT sink in for a minute.

And that's even after tanking a handful of games. And surviving the Team3 fiasco and years.

Don't show me that you can do s**t, and then stop doing it. That's just messed up.

Still not okay with how this went.

kidhawk

Reaction score
While his leadership on the field has been missed, where is he off the field?

I don't think I've seen a single shot of him on the sidelines. Why isn't he getting in Barton's face telling him he stinks? Why isn't he yelling as Brooks to do something? He can be an off the field leader as well imo.

And maybe he is, but I want to see some passion out there!

From what I've heard, Adams gave a big speech to the team shortly after being placed on IR, and that his surgery and rehab doctors are not team doctors so his rehab is being done off site. I don't know if it's even being done in Seattle. Pete mentioned in recent weeks that Adams stopped by practice after checking in with the team doctors to make sure he was still on track in regards to his recovery and tha he was. If he's not rehabbing in Seattle, that would make it difficult to be there for the games.

StoneCold

Reaction score
It's been a roller coaster season for sure. First no expectations, then they showed real promise, then they fell back to earth. As I said in another thread, I didn't watch after the 9er's opening 3rd quarter TD. How did we hold them scoreless from that point on? That seems positive. I also do not want them to tank. I want them to work at winning every game, and am sure Pete will try. Winning games shows the younger players are making progress and it's good for their psyche going forward.

The future so bright, you gotta wear shades.
Live Show Concert GIF by Billy F. Gibbons

flv2

Reaction score
5.5 wins wasn't a ceiling. There was an estimated 56% chance of getting 6 or more wins and a 44% chance of having less than 6 wins.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Let's go back to months back when our expectations were bottom barrell. Vegas had our ceiling at 5.5 wins. Zero expectations. Yet, Geno became a phenom, the rookies were a revelation. We have been playing with house money ever since we went on that 4 game winning streak mid season. Now reality has come crashing down and here we are .500 with an outside prayer of a chance to make a wildcard but with the Chiefs and Jets looming, that seems a long shot.

Still, I can't help but feel fine. Even last night, I watched the game with such apathy it was frightening to me. At one point I nonchalantly turned the channel to watch a movie. I've NEVER done that before. Especially not a nationally televised, divisional, HUGE game. But I was okay with it all. Well, okay, not okay with looking like dog doo against our arch rivals but strangely not angry or upset as I might normally have been.

And that's because the future is blindingly bright to me. Geno's struggles of late are simply due to facing the best defense in the NFL, or last week due to no running game to speak of, et al. We should sign him to a deal that makes fiscal sense whether that means the franchise tag or a contract that doesn't overpay. With 4 picks in the what, top 45 of the 2023 draft means we have a legitimate shot to not only address our most dire need (DL) but hit a homerun with someone like Jalen Carter.

Regardless of how we finish, our talented rookie class has gained invaluable experience this year. It will pay dividends moving forward.

There was a lot of things happen to this team... this team started 6 rookies they took some lumps playing top competition in the NFL. I look at this team and i see developing youth... despite the expectations of some think this team has played well... yeah they are probably not going to the play offs this year and Aros is right next year the game will slow down for the rooks and they gained valuable experience this year they are exceeding expectations. This coming off season is going to be an exciting off season despite how the Hawks fijish this year. This team has a bright future despite what some dow ng er fans might think.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I don’t feel fine, usually no matter how gross it got the team was still playing hard. There’s dudes on the defense loafing and jogging out there.

This isn’t good

Me too. We have been trying to build a d since Shanahan got to the 49ers

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score

The issue is the WAY that we ended up being bad. We ended up falling apart because our defense is historically bad and because we can't run the ball. Pete and John have shown that they can not fix these issues. Our defense has been bad since 2017. Sinse the reboot of 2018, our highest DVOA ranking has been 17th. They have had five years to fix these issues and they haven't. We also haven't been able to consistently run the ball since Beast Mode retired. We are going to have a losing record for reasons that Pete/John have shown that they can't fix. Unless we get a new coach/GM, the future does not look very good.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
This is a mediocre NFL team. For several years, people called the Seahawks "mediocre" because they couldn't win a divisional game. Mediocre teams don't consistently place 1st/2nd in their division and make the playoffs. Mediocre teams hover around .500 and give you just enough hope they might do something then crush you when you start thinking they could be something. A lot of fans wished entire seasons away a few games in when this team was competitive because they weren't dominating everybody. One or two seasons of this is fine because you think there might be some improvement towards awesome. But if you get into a stretch like this team had in 1993-2003? That's the pinnacle of mediocrity; just bad and good enough.

This is still substantially better than most of us expected for this season. But a lot of people got their hopes up too much. I've seen several "feels like 2012" threads and comments here. This team is inconsistent and has personnel shortages. You've got to enjoy things from week to week.

There's going to be a good chance this team wins two of the last three games and can get into the playoffs if several other things fall their way. Our hopes will be raised, and we'll likely be crushed.

BASF

Reaction score
We also haven't been able to consistently run the ball since Beast Mode retired.
Top rushing team in 2018, number 4 in 2019 and top twelve each of the past two seasons. I would argue that the reason the past two seasons were not top ten was trying to appease Me3 and his hero ball crap. This season has been a problem because teams have figured out that a lot of our run game is predicated and pulling the guards and if the nose tackle knifes into the line at the snap they disrupt the center and pulling guard at the same time. We have not been able to adjust to this. I praised Dickerson a lot in the first half of the season, but it comes down to him not having an answer for the way the interior defense is attacking our interior o-line to disrupt our running plays.

Bootsy51

Reaction score
@pmorepunk.......don't forget about Chris Carson ....another great RB for our Hawks....Penny and Walker will be a Powerpack when Rashaad will Return for upcoming Season.
This season imo would be too early 2 enter Playoffs and Iam okay with it.
Iam confident better days will come in 2023
Go Hawks !

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
And, as a further small comment about how okay anyone might be with where we are:

Note: Geno Smith STILL has the highest completion percentage in the NFL. And we're about to miss the playoffs.

Elon style - let THAT sink in for a minute.

And that's even after tanking a handful of games. And surviving the Team3 fiasco and years.

Don't show me that you can do s**t, and then stop doing it. That's just messed up.

Still not okay with how this went.

The defense didn't "show mw that you can do sh**" IMO, they were always terrible. The teams in the 4 game winning streak just didn't even try to exploit our shitty run defense as much as they should have. 2 of those wins were also against the totally dysfunctional, finger pointing Cardinals & getting a 17-0 lead against the Chargers probably helped keep the Chargers throwing the ball.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Winning 7 games was the worst result we could've asked for. Not enough to make the playoffs, and cost themselves a top 10 pick in a rebuilding year.

Pathetic team. Can't even tank properly

I hope you are being sarcastic. As time has shown, losing begets losing. It's important even in rebuilding years to give the team goals and teach them how to win. Football is too violent a game to even remotely suggest that a team tanks. That's how you lose locker rooms and start a never ending coaching carousel.

SEAHAWKSTER

Reaction score
Normally finishing around .500 is a crap draft spot to be in draft wise but with ME3 basically gift wrapping a top five pick for us , we now can either use our 1st rounder on someone who falls in the draft or trade it for 2 second rounders to someone and have 4 total second round picks (four players to just one ) … I would do option two unless a for sure home run pick drops to us …. Either way we are sitting pretty this draft …

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I hope you are being sarcastic. As time has shown, losing begets losing. It's important even in rebuilding years to give the team goals and teach them how to win. Football is too violent a game to even remotely suggest that a team tanks. That's how you lose locker rooms and start a never ending coaching carousel.
I'm not. Sitting at .500 puts your franchise in a tough situation because you're not going to get a good draft pick to bolster the team.

Maybe the term "tank" is what's setting people off. I'll put it another way: if you're going to rebuild, then truly rebuild. Don't sign some guys, and leave 3/4 of the roster in the tank like Seattle did. Tear it down to the studs to give yourself a legit Superbowl run in 4 years.

Look at the Mariners for example.. That's a true rebuild. Now they've put themselves in a great position to be competitive with many great young players to build around.

hawks85

Reaction score
That might be the sign we just roll out the youth and play it out...so what? Geno is coming back to earth, the D is struggling again, we are coming back to where most people expected.

If you expected a playoff run at the beginning of this season you were crazy, you still are. We simply don't have the horses on offense or defense. It's a team game and we are where most reasonable people expected us to be.

Deal with it, don't FIRE or cut anybody just ride it out, and see where the draft takes us.
Whoa hold on there chief. Our offense is fine besides the run game. Defense is fine except the Run D. We have no balance and Geno has to throw 50 times a game. We are one dimensional and can't stop the run, and that's why we're 7-7.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Well, I'm not fine with it. I was. I was pretty zen at the beginning of the season - before the Temptress Hawks went on an October roll.

The thing that I'm not okay with? Pretty much all the same people as October, right? So, it's coaching and mental. That I hate.

I've said "Pete can coach the Hawks for as long as he wants". Welllllll, I'm starting to turn a corner on that a little bit.

We did NOT have to end the second half of the season like this. Sans Adams, the pieces were in place. They were certainly in place enough to mount a lions like comeback in October, weren't they. Dug ourselves out of that hole, didn't we?

Attitude Attitude Attitude. We lost it. And that's on Pete. Don't get it twisted - this isn't a "fire pete" thread.

But I'm not happy with it. Pissed away our potential this year, that's what we did. And I still maintain that it started with Claudius... er... Rog giving us the thumbs down in Munich. I think that broke our back - for all the reasons mentioned in another thread.

Not. Good. Enough. Particularly when you've shown us the promised land within the last 8 weeks with the same dammed people. Dissapointing.

Now if they'd just sucked A** from the start of the season? A little more understandable. People don't work out/etc. But not this way.
You should be dissapointing with yourself. You're misguided expectations are at fault for your emotional bruising. The team was overplaying their talent for a stretch. What they're doing recently is playing to their available talent level.