710-Chris Petersen on the state of the UW football program

bigtrain21

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1fhznvmq said:
Hasselbeck":1fhznvmq said:
bigtrain21":1fhznvmq said:
JSeahawks":1fhznvmq said:
Btw, it's been 4,231 days since the huskies beat the ducks.

How many days has it been since the Ducks won a National Title?

Nah, too predictable. And to far gone and irrelevant to matter. I'm a trail blazer fan but I've never gone around bragging to another fan about that 1976 championship, because it doesnt matter. Uw's football titles are about as televant as the ducks basketball national title. Hasselbeck, you're a USC fan, at least your team won a title this century, you may chirp.

In the 44,266 days since your football team played it's first game you have won zero championships.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Ok, that was better and stung a little bit. But I've only been alive for about 19,000 of those days so the other 25,000 don't matter.

As for the Peterson debate, I agree with those who have concerns about his staff. I also wonder if he has the alpha dog personality that I believe you need in that position. (Have the same question about helfrich, although I'm pretty happy with him so far.)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a year like the Seahawks had in 2011 during Carroll's 2nd season as coach. I don't expect a winning record, I think we will lose a number of games as Petersen continues to implement his offensive system and we work in new starters on defense. That might not lead to winning many games, as we ended the 2011 season with two tough division losses, but I hope by the end of the season the team is showing fight and promise for the future.

I want to see progress from Lindquist, as Petersen has had more time to coach him up. Turning Cyler Myles into a somewhat respectable stat producer last year was a minor miracle by Petersen. I expect he will do even more with a raw product like Lindquist. I want to see the offensive line play as a cohesive unit, as it begins to work in several new starters. I also want to see the defense playing smart and out hitting our opponents.

It's in those final five games of the season, once all these new starters have had a chance to develop, where we will learn the most about this team and Petersen as coach.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3n2jlctc said:
Hasselbeck":3n2jlctc said:
bigtrain21":3n2jlctc said:
JSeahawks":3n2jlctc said:
Btw, it's been 4,231 days since the huskies beat the ducks.

How many days has it been since the Ducks won a National Title?

Nah, too predictable. And to far gone and irrelevant to matter. I'm a trail blazer fan but I've never gone around bragging to another fan about that 1976 championship, because it doesnt matter. Uw's football titles are about as televant as the ducks basketball national title. Hasselbeck, you're a USC fan, at least your team won a title this century, you may chirp.

This I do agree with.

And the period of USC football being down is about to end. We're coming back very soon ;)

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":396upors said:
And the period of USC football being down is about to end. We're coming back very soon ;)

As soon as you fire Sark and hire a real coach?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":3gonormq said:
Hasselbeck":3gonormq said:

I was going to ask if Pete was headed back to SC? Sark isn't leading crap.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2eqr1p0r said:
Hasselbeck":2eqr1p0r said:

You're going to miss Sark sooner than you think.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2dj0c624 said:
Seahawks1983":2dj0c624 said:
Hasselbeck":2dj0c624 said:

I'm not a Husky fan, so no, I don't think I will care.

And you are going to loathe Sark sooner than you think.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2f2pt4lt said:
Seahawks1983":2f2pt4lt said:
Hasselbeck":2f2pt4lt said:

Who's going to miss sark?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":3g4gnnln said:
titan3131":3g4gnnln said:
"The Oregon Ducks have never won a national championship in the 100 years that the university has fielded a football team. The Ducks have won 12 conference titles over that span, but a national championship banner has eluded them.Jan 4, 2015"

UW
Claimed national titles 2 (1960, 1991)

OWNED.

Claimed being the operative word.

Anyone that has to announce themselves champions 48 years after the fact is no true champion.
And anyone who thinks Washington wasn't national champs and wouldn't have beat Miami by at least 2 TDs in a head to head in '91 didn't see that team play.

And btw, I root for the Cougs first, Huskies second so this ain't no homer talkin'.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The best thing to ever come out of Eugene is Ninkasi. The finesse football program, while good for winning regular season games, isn't conducive for winning national titles no matter how much money Nike feeds it. It lacks toughness. UW still has a long way to go to get back to the dominant team it once was 20 some odd years ago. That program was destroyed/dismantled.

I don't see the point of all the frat boy squabbling. Neither team is going to win a championship any time soon.

CPHawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":bxn2z9k7 said:
The best thing to ever come out of Eugene is Ninkasi. The finesse football program, while good for winning regular season games, isn't conducive for winning national titles no matter how much money Nike feeds it. It lacks toughness. UW still has a long way to go to get back to the dominant team it once was 20 some odd years ago. That program was destroyed/dismantled.

I don't see the point of all the frat boy squabbling. Neither team is going to win a championship any time soon.

It's funny to me that UW fans still blame the ncaa for their struggles. The 85 scholarship limit, along with Phil Knight destroyed UW football. Once UW couldn't just stockpile all the NW talent, UO started to go up.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CPHawk":35bgkxlu said:
vin.couve12":35bgkxlu said:

It's funny to me that UW fans still blame the ncaa for their struggles. The 85 scholarship limit, along with Phil Knight destroyed UW football. Once UW couldn't just stockpile all the NW talent, UO started to go up.

People were saying similar things about SC before Carroll came along, i.e. that no one wanted to play there anymore, that they would never be able to dominate CA recruiting again, that no elite coach wanted to coach there, and that they would never be dominant again with an 85 scholarship limit. Great coaching can change a lot of things fairly quickly, and Petersen has shown that potential to be a great coach.

CPHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2ifsckdo said:
CPHawk":2ifsckdo said:
vin.couve12":2ifsckdo said:

People were saying similar things about SC before Carroll came along, i.e. that no one wanted to play there anymore, that they would never be able to dominate CA recruiting again, that no elite coach wanted to coach there, and that they would never be dominant again with an 85 scholarship limit. Great coaching can change a lot of things fairly quickly, and Petersen has shown that potential to be a great coach.

Literally no one said that about a school who has more talent with in twenty miles of its school, than Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Utah and Colorado combined.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CPHawk":2zaua7in said:
hawknation2015":2zaua7in said:
CPHawk":2zaua7in said:
vin.couve12":2zaua7in said:

Literally no one said that about a school who has more talent with in twenty miles of its school, than Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Utah and Colorado combined.

Actually, there were dozens of articles about it in the early 1980s and again in 1990s, before Carroll became coach, about how players were fearful of playing in the "ghetto" in South Central LA and how USC would never be dominant again in football because of it.

When Washington was winning a National Championship and going to three consecutive Rose Bowls in the early 1990s at the end of the Don James Era, USC was beginning to struggle in a major way. Larry Smith was saying USC fans needed to get used to not being as good as they used to be. Then he was fired, John Robinson's second tenure fell flat, and USC hit an all-time low under Paul Hackett. Washington weathered the initial sanctions, and the year before Carroll took over at USC, we were flying high coming off another conference championship and Rose Bowl victory. Carroll resuscitated USC in a major way, and poor coaching ultimately destroyed the Washington program over the last ten years.