A couple of comparables to Byron Murphy

toffee

Reaction score
Some compare Murphy to Donald, but Murphy isn't as freakish. He may just be a 1" taller and 10 lbs lighter version of Poona Ford, but Murphy is way more athletic than Poona, and probably more skilled too. I believe Hurtt had Poona packed on more weight to play nose in his second season, then moved Poona to play end in his 3rd? I am quite sure our introverted genius HC won't mishandle Murphy.

A front of Leo - Jaren - Byron could be quite formidable.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I just know two things.

1. The Jalen Carter fanbase can now hopefully stfu. I don’t think he wanted to be here, I don’t think he wanted to be anywhere but the Eagles and with his brotherhood of ex-Georgia defenders. I also don’t think he would have prospered as well in the depressive but gritty PNW culture with his fragile mindset far and away from his support circles.

In the very least, we can have an actual sensible comparison rather than trying to compare apples to oranges with a 316 pound DT and a 180 pound DB.

Murphy still might not be as talented but he’s a hard worker who leaves everything out on the field each and every snap. He’s got the grindset and attitude of a grown man, not a child whose hand you have to hold or worst keep on a leash or under a watchful eye to keep out of trouble like a helicopter parent. And most importantly it seems both Murphy and the Seahawks had a high amount of mutual interest and respect in and for each other.

Just another alpha mindset/potential future leader that will help lay down the foundation of not only Mac’s defense but potentially the team’s culture and identity.

2. Murphy fills a Jonah Tavai sized hole in my heart ever since he basically disappeared off the NFL map, never to be seen or heard from again prior to TC last year (JK, it looks like he’s a DE for the BC Lions). I had a lot of love for the dude and what he was doing at SDSU and thought he’d be the next Poona Ford with a more effective pass-rush mix aka teacup Aaron Donald. Now the Seahawks seemingly got a similar player in Murphy (a stout, disruptive, powerful, quick AF, actively fighting, stonewall/pressure generator), maybe not as crafty yet but just a bigger, longer, more badass, and potentially more promising talent overall in terms of sheer physical and athletic measures.

Last edited:

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I just know two things.

1. The Jalen Carter fanbase can now hopefully stfu. I don’t think he wanted to be here, I don’t think he wanted to be anywhere but the Eagles and with his brotherhood of ex-Georgia defenders. I also don’t think he would have prospered as well in the depressive but gritty PNW culture with his fragile mindset far and away from his support circles.
Yeah plus I think after Carter visited and scoped out all the targets and saw the intricate three blind mice security systems at our targets, especially in Puyallup, he knew he’d have much more fun out east

Rat

Reaction score
Here's a comparison I like between Murphy and Player X, using combine numbers:

Height
Murphy: 6'0" 1/2
Player X: 6'1" 1/2

Weight
Murphy: 297lbs
Player X: 295lbs

40 Yard Dash
Murphy: 4.87s
Player X: 4.95s

20 Yard Split
Murphy: 2.83s
Player X: 2.86s

10 Yard Split
Murphy: 1.69s
Player X: 1.75s

Bench
Murphy: 28 reps
Player X: 23 reps

Who is Player X? A 1990 first round draft pick of the Seahawks by the name of Cortez Kennedy.

CPHawk

Reaction score
And I doubt Cortez was even that tall. I saw him a bunch of times next to Big Walt, and he looked way shorter than Walt.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I also bet Tez could have benched more reps if he wanted to, but he didn't feel like it :)

sutz

Reaction score
Tough to compare players in different eras, as well. Part of what made Tez great was that OL 25 years ago were not as big, quick, and smart as today's players. These days, he'd still be a beast, but he'd have better opposition than he mostly faced back then.

Murphy looks like a great get, and he appears happy to be here. Let's let him play a few games and see where to rank him on the pantheon of Seattle Seahawks across the ages.

Jac

Reaction score
Tough to compare players in different eras, as well. Part of what made Tez great was that OL 25 years ago were not as big, quick, and smart as today's players. These days, he'd still be a beast, but he'd have better opposition than he mostly faced back then.

Murphy looks like a great get, and he appears happy to be here. Let's let him play a few games and see where to rank him on the pantheon of Seattle Seahawks across the ages.
It's actually surprising to see Cortez's measurables. I remember him being a giant. Different eras...

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I still want to thank the falcons for doing us a solid. I really feel they bent the draft with Penix - and kicked themselves in the gems in the process.

Their GM is now running curbside pickup at Lowe’s in an elaborate scheme to eventually get back at Blank

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I still want to thank the falcons for doing us a solid. I really feel they bent the draft with Penix - and kicked themselves in the gems in the process.

Their GM is now running curbside pickup at Lowe’s in an elaborate scheme to eventually get back at Blank
I dunno... a lot of people ridicule that pick, but I don't think it's going to turn out as badly for the Falcons as most people seem to think. I remember when the Redskins picked RGIII with the second pick of the draft, and then picked Kirk Cousins in the 4th round -- most people including me thought it was a wasted pick, but by the end of the season, it paid off for them.

Rat

Reaction score
It's actually surprising to see Cortez's measurables. I remember him being a giant. Different eras...
He was reported to have measured 6'1 1/2" at the combine, but is listed as 6'3" everywhere else. Maybe he wasn't done growing.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I dunno... a lot of people ridicule that pick, but I don't think it's going to turn out as badly for the Falcons as most people seem to think. I remember when the Redskins picked RGIII with the second pick of the draft, and then picked Kirk Cousins in the 4th round -- most people including me thought it was a wasted pick, but by the end of the season, it paid off for them.
I’m not taking a good or bad stance - in terms of hotlanta - they should be set at qb for at least a decade -

Latest posts