A couple of interesting Linebackers (Jack Campbell and Nolan Smith)

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Nolan Smith (from Georgia) lit up the combine (6-2, 238, 4.39 40 with a 1.52 10-yard split, 41.5 vertical, 10-8 broad). Could be a standup LB and then move to the edge for passing downs.

More interesting to me is Jack Cambell (6-5, 249). I've watched several of his videos and he can stack and shed blockers at the point of attack and seems to have good instincts. However, he didn't look that athletic which made me question his ability to drop into coverage and play in space. Then he goes to the combine and has a 1.59 10-yard spit in the forty (runs 4.65), 37.5 vertical, and a 10-8 broad jump. His 3-cone and 20-yard shuttle were also very good (6.74 and 4.24 respectively). Having an LB who doesn't need to be covered by the DL to make a play would be huge.

To get Smith we would probably need to use pick 20. However, Cambell will probably be available at pick 37.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
wrong subforum. put these in the draft forum or atleast the nfl forum.

anyway i agree about jack campbell. looks like he's "it" for a MLBer. and i hate to say it, but his combine combined with tape and production probably warrant a late 1st round grade. he's just too good of a football player too fall deep into the second. in a seperate thread i compared him to HOFer brian urlacher.

QWERTY

Reaction score
wrong subforum. put these in the draft forum or atleast the nfl forum.

anyway i agree about jack campbell. looks like he's "it" for a MLBer. and i hate to say it, but his combine combined with tape and production probably warrant a late 1st round grade. he's just too good of a football player too fall deep into the second. in a seperate thread i compared him to HOFer brian urlacher.

theres a topic about Calijah Kancey a reach at #20?

But I know some people that makes the topics dont care. and mods are too busy to change it unless its talking about other nfl teams or players

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Campbell is not close to Urlacher. That's a very poor comp. But he did have very good tape. And his testing is encouraging. He isn't/wasn't the same class as Urlacher or Kuechly coming out. Actually, his testing comp is closer to Cody Barton. Still could sneak into late first round if need fits -- although I suspect the run on DL and DB will kind of start then. I think his stiffness and as a high centered mover will push him to day 2. The shuttle time is kind of befuddling and really doesn't jive with what one sees on tape.

Definitely a prospect to take a closer look. But will have lingering questions as well as positional value issues that should push him to mid 2nd or later.

IMO, the shuttle time is a bit of an outlier. His tape shows a guy who is not particularly crisp at change of direction in man coverage, and a guy who moves more upright and high -- which lends to some difficulty disengaging from blocks and traversing the wash of blockers at the LOS. When he sees it right and shoots a gap, he excels. He's kind of a tougher prospect to figure out and the testing making it harder so.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Campbell is not close to Urlacher. That's a very poor comp. But he did have very good tape. And his testing is encouraging.
... sorry but campbell's athletic profile is definitely more akin to urlacher than cody barton.

vs

... my lazy poor man's comp is HOF LB brian urlacher. ofc he doesn't have the same ball skills or upper body strength urlacher possessed. but his agility and explosive traits actually tested better at a similar physical profile.

brian urlacher:
6'4" 258lbs
33" arms

4.57 40yd dash
1.63 10yd split
4.18 20yd shuttle
6.94 3 cone
34" vertical
10'2" broad

jack campbell:
6'5 249lbs
32" arms
4.65 40yd dash
1.59 10yd split
4.24 20yd shuttle
6.74 3 cone
37.5" vertical
10'8" broad

Chevy

Reaction score
... sorry but campbell's athletic profile is definitely more akin to urlacher than cody barton.

vs
I appreciate that you admit to maybe having a lazy man's comp for Campbell.

On game film I thought Campbell was unathletic and stiff, just a decent run stopper at best. Now I have to go back and look at his games again. That being said Mofe college games and combine didn't match up. Which is how I think Cambell may be in the NFL, good run support, but below average in coverage and pass rushing.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score

On game film I thought Campbell was unathletic and stiff, just a decent run stopper at best. Now I have to go back and look at his games again. That being said Mofe college games and combine didn't match up. Which is how I think Cambell may be in the NFL, good run support, but below average in coverage and pass rushing.
I was left wanting more on his highlights.. plays were made 5 yards past the los. I got serious Cody Barton vibes. I believe he was player of the year in his conference so there has to be something there I would think.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Interesting article by
I was left wanting more on his highlights.. plays were made 5 yards past the los. I got serious Cody Barton vibes. I believe he was player of the year in his conference so there has to be something there I would think.
He also won both the Butkus and Campbell awards this year (yes, Campbell won the Campbell trophy). He was MUCH more productive than Barton in college. Here's an article where Brock Huard is saying the same thing we are, that there's a disconnect between Campbell's tape and his combine results.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score

To me, Campbell is exactly what you looking for after the first round, a highly productive college player who shows surprising athleticism at the combine/pro day.

Chawker

Reaction score
Trenton Simpson is a tightly wound spring whos ready to explode off the ball. He runs a 4.43 and his production number are impressive, you want a superstar, well here he is. Forget adout those other wantobees. He makes plays on there side of the line of scrimmage !!!

SNDavidson

Reaction score
If we come away with S Skinner, LB Trenton Simpson, and LB Owen Pappoe, ho boy. Those are your answers at project speedy ballhawk. Add one of Will Anderson, Myles Murphy, Tyree Wilson.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Trenton Simpson is a tightly wound spring whos ready to explode off the ball. He runs a 4.43 and his production number are impressive, you want a superstar, well here he is. Forget adout those other wantobees. He makes plays on there side of the line of scrimmage !
Trenton Simpson and Nolen Smith are an interesting comparison. Both are elite athletes with Smith testing slightly better at the combine. However, Simpson was significantly more productive in college and didn't have the injury issues Smith had.

My problem is I expect both to be gone by pick 37 and I would rather not use pick 20 on an off-ball LB. Conversely, I expect Campbell to be available at pick 37 and maybe even pick 52. In fact, I would love for the Hawks to pick an LB (Campbell?) and an IOL (Steve Avila?) in the second round.

Last edited:

Chevy

Reaction score
I've gone back to look at Jack Campbell a bit more, after his combine performance. His agility does show up when he drops back into pass coverage. Before the combine I thought he was stiff and slow. While he is still not a fast guy, he seems to make up for it with his football IQ. I'd take him somewhere in the 2nd round. With his size and good athleticism, I think he is the #1 or #2 ILB in the draft. Drew Sanders being the other, although he isn't day one ready like Campbell.

Smellyman

Reaction score
If we are coing to compare athletic profiles, Campbell is like Fred Warner.