A couple of quick hits

kearly

Reaction score
Own The West":26nr2fxv said:
If anyone thinks we're a playoff team without Wilson, then great, let's go find a scrapheap vet to manage games in his absence.

Obviously, Seattle would be screwed if our starting QB went on IR tomorrow, but that's really true for every contending team. The true purpose of a backup QB isn't to make the starter irrelevant, it's to help save a season that could be torpedoed when a QB misses just a few games. Let's say Wilson gets nicked up and misses say, four games during the regular season. Seattle might miss the playoffs if they go 0-4 in those games. Or they might be just fine if they have a backup who gets them to 2-2.

I'm a Boykin fan, but I don't feel great about him breaking even in his starts right now. Hopefully next year he will be at that level.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Rob12":16904h3f said:
The Seahawks need a legitimate back up QB. I like Boykin a lot, but he has no business being a RW injury away from running this offense. Does anyone truly feel comfortable with that? I mean, honestly?

I thought Britt and Glowinski looked great. Sowell was OK. Webb and Evans looked terrible.

Keenan Lambert might have made a case over Terrell. He was all over the place.

Pope deserves to make the team over Collins. I don't expect that to happen. Collins is slow until he gets space. Terrible fit for the ZBS, IMO.

Tharold Simon is not a good football player right now.

Jordan Hill, sad as it is, can't be counted on. Tweaked hamstring. I just don't think he deserves a spot on the 53.

That's it for now.

Agree with all points but would add that Boykin was playing behind a backup line against a team that was going for broke. He made some bad decisions but will get better. The options at this point are not very good. This was his 4th
game .

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2h0on2e1 said:
He would have looked a lot more comfortable if he had played more than one series with the first team offense. His one pass attempt behind the first team offensive line was batted down on 3rd down. I think he was trying to give Kenny Lawler a chance to go up and convert the first down. Then the first team offense went out after the 2nd series, and it turned into a real shit show. Odhiambo and Webb were burned badly on the first sack with pressure coming immediately in both directions. I think Webb simply blew his assignment on the 2nd sack. On the next series, we got Evans' false start. Now it's 3rd and 10, and he once again faces immediate pressure coming from both directions. It's tough for a QB to stay composed when playing behind a line like that. At that point, they had punted three times and had taken the safety due to the intentional grounding in the end zone; yet, none of it can fairly be pinned on Boykin. The next series, Boykin finally got some protection and made a nice play on 3rd and 10, connecting low to Brandon Williams across the first down marker:

3oz8xUpp3zl6ZyDkTm.gif

He smartly finds Williams again on the next play, and then he eludes the pressure and scrambles for another first down. Unfortunately, he stayed inbounds and there just wasn't enough time to make something happen before the end of the first half. Not going out of bounds on that play, and perhaps failing to adjust the protection pre-snap, were the only glaring mistakes by Boykin. After that, he was mostly just handing the ball off to Pope and Collins.

Good post. I appreciate the effort of making balanced analysis here.

I'll give Boykin a mulligan for the safety he took as it was really more on the protection than on him, but I do think a veteran QB avoids that safety by reading the situation quickly and stepping up into the pocket instead of running backwards. Taking a safety when the ball is snapped at the 10 yard line is pretty rare. It was a learning experience for Boykin, and that's what the preseason is all about.

mrt144

Reaction score
kearly":1tu902sq said:
hawknation2016":1tu902sq said:
He would have looked a lot more comfortable if he had played more than one series with the first team offense. His one pass attempt behind the first team offensive line was batted down on 3rd down. I think he was trying to give Kenny Lawler a chance to go up and convert the first down. Then the first team offense went out after the 2nd series, and it turned into a real shit show. Odhiambo and Webb were burned badly on the first sack with pressure coming immediately in both directions. I think Webb simply blew his assignment on the 2nd sack. On the next series, we got Evans' false start. Now it's 3rd and 10, and he once again faces immediate pressure coming from both directions. It's tough for a QB to stay composed when playing behind a line like that. At that point, they had punted three times and had taken the safety due to the intentional grounding in the end zone; yet, none of it can fairly be pinned on Boykin. The next series, Boykin finally got some protection and made a nice play on 3rd and 10, connecting low to Brandon Williams across the first down marker:

3oz8xUpp3zl6ZyDkTm.gif

He smartly finds Williams again on the next play, and then he eludes the pressure and scrambles for another first down. Unfortunately, he stayed inbounds and there just wasn't enough time to make something happen before the end of the first half. Not going out of bounds on that play, and perhaps failing to adjust the protection pre-snap, were the only glaring mistakes by Boykin. After that, he was mostly just handing the ball off to Pope and Collins.

Good post. I appreciate the effort of making balanced analysis here.

I'll give Boykin a mulligan for the safety he took as it was really more on the protection than on him, but I do think a veteran QB avoids that safety by reading the situation quickly and stepping up into the pocket instead of running backwards. Taking a safety when the ball is snapped at the 10 yard line is pretty rare. It was a learning experience for Boykin, and that's what the preseason is all about.

Absolutely, agree - most good pro QBs would have hucked that ball a mile out of bounds but we have to admit, he isn't a good pro QB, he's a UDFA backup.

kearly

Reaction score
Our backup OL was actually playing pretty well in the first three preseason games. Maybe they just had an off-night but I lean towards giving Oakland credit more than blaming Seattle. The Oakland DL looked fast and athletic, and they batted down THREE passes. They looked pretty damn studly for a 4th preseason game, and I don't think it was a case of Seattle making them look good. Though for sure, Odhiambo and Webb did make some ugly mistakes.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't understand why the safety was that bad.

Sitting the shadow of your goal line, probably one of the better things you can do.

He is a rookie QB, under ridiculous pressure with ineffective playcalling and no help. I've watched enough FB to see a QB in the shadow of their GL end up trying to throw the ball into coverage to get out of pressure only to give up the INT and often the run back in for a TD.

Even if you throw the ball away there, you are basically punting from inside your 10, maybe your five (if say your run around, avoid the pressure and get back out of the EZ to avoid the safety). Then you punt and it is pretty likely that you end up giving the offense the ball at the 40, almost in FG range anyway.

They almost assuredly get 3, get a shorter field for a potential 7, why not just take the safety and give them normal field position so your defense has a shot? Isn't giving up 2 better than giving up 3 even considering the loss of one possession you get by kicking it back to them?

Krieg's list

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":16puzhmv said:
I don't understand why the safety was that bad.

Sitting the shadow of your goal line, probably one of the better things you can do.

He is a rookie QB, under ridiculous pressure with ineffective playcalling and no help. I've watched enough FB to see a QB in the shadow of their GL end up trying to throw the ball into coverage to get out of pressure only to give up the INT and often the run back in for a TD.

Even if you throw the ball away there, you are basically punting from inside your 10, maybe your five (if say your run around, avoid the pressure and get back out of the EZ to avoid the safety). Then you punt and it is pretty likely that you end up giving the offense the ball at the 40, almost in FG range anyway.

They almost assuredly get 3, get a shorter field for a potential 7, why not just take the safety and give them normal field position so your defense has a shot? Isn't giving up 2 better than giving up 3 even considering the loss of one possession you get by kicking it back to them?

This argument is ripe for reductio ad absurdum.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
gabel":rsvr1sw3 said:
I guess I saw it different from everyone else I think Boykin proved that he is not an NFL Quarterback. It's a tough job and he process plays way to slowly. It was painful to watch. I think the backup QB is not currently on the roster.

Kevin Pierre-Louis reminds me Aaron Curry, all the talent in the world, just can't make a play.

Keenan Lambert came to play. He was by far the best special teams player last night and that's how you make the team.

Simon looks much stronger but appears to have lost a step. He looked terrible.

Kache Palicio wow where did this kid come from he looks like a player.

I really really like Pope he looks like he is fired out of a cannon when he breaks free. Not sure he will make the team.

George Fant lots of potential I guess, almost got beat more times than Terry Poole.

Fant certainly has a lot of potential, but you're right that he has a long way to go. I think he's raw enough to stick on the p-squad for the year.

Terry Poole had a great game and was totally solid in pass pro. It was an eye opening game for several players on the verge of possibly getting cut: Poole, Elliot, Lambert, Pope, Collins, Sommers, Williams, Hamilton, Robinson, Palacio, etc. Always compete!

bbsplitter

Reaction score
QB B.J. Daniels > QB Boykin. At least judging from pre-season play.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I'm of two minds re: Boykin. First is that if Wilson goes down for 2-4 games, we need a backup that will get us to 2-2, and Boykin probably isn't there yet. On the other hand, if Wilson goes down for 6+ games, we're probably screwed anyway, so might as well save the cash and develop Boykin.

The issue is that I don't see anyone available who I feel is like a guy that will definitely get us to 2-2 if Wilson misses four games. It's hard enough to find a good starting quarterback in this league, much less a good backup once all the good/decent/league average starters are signed to actually start. In that case, I'd rather just roll with Boykin and save the cash.

chris98251

Reaction score
I thought Ken Norton being the DC in Oakland helped them a lot, he knows Bevells offense and knows what keys to look for, how much was his insider knowledge and how much was guys on the bubble playing is up for debate, but I do think it was a factor.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
chris98251":aqhkhfwo said:
I thought Ken Norton being the DC in Oakland helped them a lot, he knows Bevells offense and knows what keys to look for, how much was his insider knowledge and how much was guys on the bubble playing is up for debate, but I do think it was a factor.

Good point. Oakland's defense was doing a great job anticipating plays and exploiting weaknesses. The number of pressures and batted balls at the line was really impressive.

canfan

Reaction score
titan3131":18bhhgda said:
i think its time to cut bait with the trash draft of 2014.

Simon, KPL, Hill. All are below average and deadweight.

To be fair Simon and Hill are 2013 trash. KPL is 2014 trash :D

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3ogezpdd said:
Tarvaris was Pete's guy the past 3 years, so by eliminating him so vociferously, I guess you are saying he erred in judgement.

Believing that T Jack's time is past does not require that I believe he was not the right person prior to this season or that Pete erred in the past three years.

His time has passed now, and we don't need to rehash the arguments for and against in every thread that remotely concerns our QB plan for the season. He is done and Bevell isn't our next head coach in training.

Mr.Crayola

Reaction score
I have not been impressed with the Boykin this preseason, but I think some of that is just bias because I really wanted Mike Bercovici to get signed by the Seahawks. He put a licking on the Huskies and I came away super impressed with his decision making that game.

I don't think we need to sign Tjack right now. If the Seahawks wait until after game 1 I believe his contract would then be much more favorable to the Seahawks in terms of guaranteed money and cap hit.

Boykin is a 50-50 win QB in my opinion, just a really weird one. I can see him getting hot for a 4-5 week stretch and winning us games, and then losing the next 6. He just seems really streaky to me. Great points guys, a real interesting post. I loved the list of QBs and the gifs were really cool!

gabel

Reaction score
Terry Poole had a great game and was totally solid in pass pro. It was an eye opening game for several players on the verge of possibly getting cut: Poole, Elliot, Lambert, Pope, Collins, Sommers, Williams, Hamilton, Robinson, Palacio, etc. Always compete!

Hawknation2016, I have watched every game except last nights game and Terry Poole has been dreadful to the point that I didn't think he would make it through the first cuts. I will re-watch the Oakland game with an open mind.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3tuykvyc said:
Siouxhawk":3tuykvyc said:
Tarvaris was Pete's guy the past 3 years, so by eliminating him so vociferously, I guess you are saying he erred in judgement.

Believing that T Jack's time is past does not require that I believe he was not the right person prior to this season or that Pete erred in the past three years.

His time has passed now, and we don't need to rehash the arguments for and against in every thread that remotely concerns our QB plan for the season. He is done and Bevell isn't our next head coach in training.
It's your opinion that he's done. I think he's still very much in the picture as the veteran who knows our offense as well as anyone and who could step in and keep us afloat were Russ to be sidelined for a short spell. And if he's brought back after the first week, his contract isn't guaranteed, so the front office wouldn't be on the hook for the entire veteran's minimum if they decided to part company.

And neither of us know the long term future the team has for Bevell. I'm just glad that Pete signed his extension and Bevell is coordinating the offense again. It's a winning combo.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ovaie4g said:
bigskydoc":2ovaie4g said:
Siouxhawk":2ovaie4g said:

It's your opinion that he's done. I think he's still very much in the picture as the veteran who knows our offense as well as anyone and who could step in and keep us afloat were Russ to be sidelined for a short spell. And if he's brought back after the first week, his contract isn't guaranteed, so the front office wouldn't be on the hook for the entire veteran's minimum if they decided to part company.

And neither of us know the long term future the team has for Bevell. I'm just glad that Pete signed his extension and Bevell is coordinating the offense again. It's a winning combo.

Does every single one of your posts really have to be about unsigned free agent Tarvaris Jackson? Take it to the NFL Forum, man.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am tempted to lobby that Siouxhawk have his name changed to TJacksagent

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2hitm3bp said:
Siouxhawk":2hitm3bp said:
bigskydoc":2hitm3bp said:
Siouxhawk":2hitm3bp said:

Does every single one of your posts really have to be about unsigned free agent Tarvaris Jackson? Take it to the NFL Forum, man.
I was directly addressed, just as I am answering this post. It's as simple as this -- We need a veteran backup. At this juncture, Tarvaris is perfect for the job because of the symbiotic familiarity and availability. I'm looking for the Hawks to go a long ways this year. I don't want to see us caught with our pants down like the Vikings. This is why I take such a firm stance.

Latest posts