A few random thoughts on Seattle's player personnel

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I agree for the most part; I really agree about Unger. I suspect he has played injured all year. It would explain the bad play.
We do need another one.

Miller is far too valuable to cut. He stays. The #3 is McCoy on the cheap I hope given his dead year.

Rice has had injury issues ; he has businesses he opened in the area. He stays at a very cap friendly number. We need the big body. Tate is gone and we add a wide as well.

McQ gone and our RT unless he restructures. Carp is valuable enough so he stays. I see the Bs both starting however.

The best LB grouping is KJ , Wagner and smith. I'd move KJ to the middle and Wagner to the outside to use his speed. Irvin I see a rotational guy.he is pretty good at LB but like Sweezy needs time
No issue with letting Clem walk after a release.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
If Rice were 6'0" I'd say cut his ass. But 6'4" WRs with polish might as well be gold plated. There just aren't a lot of 6'4" WRs in the game, and when you do find one of the cheap he's either raw like Stephen Williams or Ricardo Lockette, or extremely injury prone like Sidney Rice or Danario Alexander. You can draft a big WR but it's one of the more bust prone positions in the draft AND it's a position notorious for developing slowly. I agree with what a lot of people are saying that going a different direction makes a lot of sense, while being mindful that there are risks both ways.

I'm not the GM though and the actual FO is far less cutthroat than I would be. They value loyalty and doing right by players. As such, I imagine that their first preference is to retain Rice at a much more reasonable cost. That said, I'm 90% sure Rice will refuse their terms and end up released.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
What I think will happen in 2014...

1. Rice will be cut... saving $7.3M in 2014 cap space.
2. Tate will be signed to a 3-year average salary of ~$5M/year.
3. Clemons will be cut... saving $7.5M in 2014 Cap space.
4. Michael Bennett will be signed to a 3-year average salary of $7.5M.
5. Zach Miller will be traded for a 5th round draft pick... saving $5M in 2014 cap space.
6. Red Bryant will be cut (saving $5.5M in 2014 cap space)... and then re-signed for a one-year deal at $3.5M)... saving $2M in 2014, $7 in 2015 and $8M in 2016, when Russell, Earl and Sherm need his cap space

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Clemons is likely gone, Cliff Avril will likely take over that spot, and Bruce Irvin will reassume his rookie position better rounded than before.

And the Seahawks will continue to develop Benson Mayowa.

Schoefield is a free agent, he might get offers elsewhere.

Smith will be the starter, with Wright and Wags. Thats obvious. I see the Seahawks re-signing Mike Morgan for cheap, and continue to develop Toomer, while drafting more depth.

I see McDaniel be re-signed to decent money, McDonald walks on (unless he the team feels he can be the starter over the older McD), Michael Brooks take his place along with Jordan Hill.

Browner and Thurmond move on, Maxwell and Lane move up, Simon, the PS CB, plus more draft picks add the depth. I see maybe an older vet signing on for the min to add more experience depth.

Margagos gets re-signed for cheap and Shead keeps his promotion with the team letting JeJo move on.

Seahawks ask Bryant to restrucure and I think he complies, he only got 45% of the snaps.

Thats the defense for me.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":zjtq4zpl said:
Clemons is likely gone, Cliff Avril will likely take over that spot, and Bruce Irvin will reassume his rookie position better rounded than before.

And the Seahawks will continue to develop Benson Mayowa.

Schoefield is a free agent, he might get offers elsewhere.

Smith will be the starter, with Wright and Wags. Thats obvious. I see the Seahawks re-signing Mike Morgan for cheap, and continue to develop Toomer, while drafting more depth.

I see McDaniel be re-signed to decent money, McDonald walks on (unless he the team feels he can be the starter over the older McD), Michael Brooks take his place along with Jordan Hill.

Browner and Thurmond move on, Maxwell and Lane move up, Simon, the PS CB, plus more draft picks add the depth. I see maybe an older vet signing on for the min to add more experience depth.

Margagos gets re-signed for cheap and Shead keeps his promotion with the team letting JeJo move on.

Seahawks ask Bryant to restrucure and I think he complies, he only got 45% of the snaps.

Thats the defense for me.

I dont think Thurmond will cost much if we want to keep him. I would be shocked if he got a larger contract

seabowl

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3ppt9q4s said:
I just don't know if Irvin can cover and has proved he has the vision to be a 3rd safety.

Safety? No way in hell can he play safety. He cab barely play LB or DE. I said it from the day we drafted him, Bruce will never live up to where we picked him. Serviceable but that's about it.

drdiags

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":liqd9712 said:
Ahhh ... I stand corrected (a bit) on that one. I'd written those comments off the top of my head, so do remember him in that Rams game now. Outside of that game though, he really didn't shine this year (when compared to the rest of Seattle's LB's that is). I mean, he did have 6 tackles in that 17-19 Loss in San Francisco, but it really didn't feel to me like he was a guy who truly made his presence known this year -- in the same way that K.J. Wright and Bobby Wagner did that is. I agree with Kip here in saying that I think Irvin would be better served doing what he does best -- Rushing the Passer on Passing Downs -- and either letting Malcolm Smith start in his place and/or bring in another LB who is extremely good at stopping the run and letting those two (Smith and LB to be determined later) split time. That's all I'm saying.

The play Irvin made on Jimmy Graham in the first Saints game was just as heady as the Maxwell D Thomas punch out. There are going to be changes coming along the DL, Irvin's flexibility and talent is going to be honed as long as he is here, just like Tate. He isn't young but he is uber talented. I withhold judgement on him until the contract is up. He may not get a second one here but he could have a 10 yr career.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Interesting take on covering our ass at the center position. I think that's a big draft need for SF if I'm not mistaken as their starter is 35 and contemplating retirement and not sure if they have anyone already on their roster to take over. But they are loaded with picks this year if I'm not mistaken about that either. Maybe we ought to nab up the only highly rated one just to screw them. :49ersmall:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":3k98qlbc said:
If Rice were 6'0" I'd say cut his ass. But 6'4" WRs with polish might as well be gold plated. There just aren't a lot of 6'4" WRs in the game, and when you do find one of the cheap he's either raw like Stephen Williams or Ricardo Lockette, or extremely injury prone like Sidney Rice or Danario Alexander. You can draft a big WR but it's one of the more bust prone positions in the draft AND it's a position notorious for developing slowly. I agree with what a lot of people are saying that going a different direction makes a lot of sense, while being mindful that there are risks both ways.

I'm not the GM though and the actual FO is far less cutthroat than I would be. They value loyalty and doing right by players. As such, I imagine that their first preference is to retain Rice at a much more reasonable cost. That said, I'm 90% sure Rice will refuse their terms and end up released.

Give me a rookie with major upside over Sidney Rice with the knees of a 50 year old.

Really if they retain Tate and Baldwin.. and took a WR in the first 3 rounds of the draft.. they could have one hell of a group with a healthy Harvin in place.

1. Harvin
2. Tate
3. Baldwin
4. Kearse
5. Rookie WR
6. Lockette (he wound up being a ST demon this year)

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Baldwin is one of the best three or four slot receivers in the game, right? There's Welker...honestly, Bess has fallen off, Amendola's always hurt. Is Baldwin arguably top two? We have to keep him.

Tate, I'm ambivalent about. I don't know if he's worth 5M a year to this team. On the other hand, that would leave us with Harvin and Baldwin as the two major receivers on this team, and Harvin is not yet reliable enough to count on for sixteen games (yeah, I know this was his first major injury to keep him out, but I want to see a whole year). I mean, we could draft a guy like Brandon Coleman, but is there a buy-low guy at WR that we can bring in that would cost less than Tate and make a strong #2? Maybe we should retain Tate after all.