A Football Life: Steve Largent (NFL Network)

taz291819

Reaction score
While I did live at Ft. Lewis for three years in the early 80's, most of my life I've lived overseas or in the Southeast. In my experience, every football fan I've known growing up knew who Steve Largent was.

With bandwagon fans (mostly Niners/Cowboys), he was the only Seahawk people could name, until The Boz came around. But that's another story.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1miqv32x said:
Debating Steve Largent's place in Seattle Sports History is stupid.

If you don't understand the man and his impact, it's because you're too young or just being pointlessly contrarian.

I think the debate was is how well known was Largent outside of Seattle in comparison to other famous players.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vy10jif said:
Hawkstorian":1vy10jif said:

If you don't understand the man and his impact, it's because you're too young or just being pointlessly contrarian.

I think the debate was is how well known was Largent outside of Seattle in comparison to other famous players.

He was pretty much the only Seahawk the average fan could name here in the Midwest before Brian Bosworth came along - and the latter was strictly evoked as a punchline. Curt Warner was probably known in California from his college days. If Jim Zorn had a less-memorable last name, I'm not sure many people around here would remember him - even after his ill-fated stint in DC.

Essentially, Bears fans talking football with me back in the 80s would essentially be backdoor-bragging about their general football knowledge just by naming two active non-Largent Seahawks.

classicaaron

Reaction score
I thought the show was alright. I didnt learn anything new but its always great watching seahawks highlights.

On a side note i did not have a good personal experience with him. I went to a grocery store signing of him when i was in 6th grade. Here i was a little kid with my official NFL ball and my marker. Waited in a line a few hours before finally getting up to him. I notice his marker is dying out from signing so i ask him to use my brand new marker. He gives me an eye roll and ignores my request. He signs with his marker which was so dry you couldnt even see a thing on the ball. I asked him to resign it again with my marker at which point his people pushed me out of line and he pretended like he didnt hear me. To this day i would love to have that ball sitting on my shelf. Still hurts knowing one your child hood heroes could have really cared less, especially how he presents himself as such a nice guy. Must be the politician in him. I still wear his jersey with pride but to this day that still hurts.

Oh well.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seahawks legend Steve Largent on his NFL Network documentary

ORIGINALLY AIRED: FRIDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2015

Hall of Famer and Seahawks legend Steve Largent joins "Bob, Groz and Tom" to talk about his episode of "A Football Life" set to air on the NFL Network.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... 0and%20Tom

irocdave

Reaction score
Largent was the guy when it came to national recognition for the Hawks in the 80's. At the end of his career it was all about consecutive games with a catch. The team had sunk in to oblivion and wasn't very good but they kept feeding him the ball because it was the only thing they had to play for.

I don't know that Largent would even make a team coming out of college now, he wasn't fast, didn't have a great college career. He might have made a team like todays Hawks because of how they evaluate free agent rookies?

gonzhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2m3padv1 said:

Couldn't have said it better! Thank you!

bigtrain21

Reaction score
There was some great footage of the hit on Harden. Here are a couple of fresh gifs.

LargentRecovery.gif

LargentHardenSlomo

bmorepunk

Reaction score
RiverDog":j6g5kz34 said:
JSeahawks":j6g5kz34 said:
As an out of towner when I think historically (for me that goes back about 30 years) about Seattle sports the first two guys that come to mind are Griffey jr and Gary Payton. There are really no seahawks that stand up above all the others to icon status.

Big walt was our best player, but he's an olinemen, hard to reach icon status. Tez was a beast but his teams sucked. Largent was loved locally, but I don't know how much he was appreciated nationally.

If you're looking for a seahawk icon I think it might be Shawn Alexander, marshawn lynch or Russell Wilson.

I don't really know how well known Steve Largent was nationally. Being that we exist in a sports backwash, especially back in Largent's days when we hadn't even gone to a Super Bowl and considering how the nation had yet to experience the internet, social media, et al, I would not be at all surprised that a casual fan in someplace outside the PNW might not have heard of him.

But in the late 70's and 80's, Steve Largent was unbelievably huge in this area. The only thing that would make any of the aforementioned Seahawks anymore of an icon was the time he played in and the younger generation's unfamiliarity with who he was.

People tend to remember quarterbacks and skill position players with big stats who were on championship teams. Were you on the Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, Packers, or Patriots during their big times? No? You don't exist.

Since I have barely lived in the PNW outside of childhood, most people I know have never heard of him. They've never heard of Marcus Allen, either.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Btw I finally got to watch this and it was awesome. I really miss old school Seahawks football. I swear I could just sit all day and watch old games form the 80's and 90's if I had copies of them.

Latest posts