A gathering of Zorn, Krieg, Hass, and RW

James in PA

Reaction score
There’s an awesome video on Seahawks.com of these 4 icons sitting together discussing Hawks football history. Sorry, unable to link it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":14e72mt0 said:
Man that QB black hole from Krieg to Hass.

I think this is even worse when you really start to think about it.

Zorn gets a lot of love, and I understand why, but he threw 107 TDs and 133 INTs in a Seahawks uniform. Dudes threw a lot more INTs in those days, but starters who had multiple seasons of more INTs than TDs, especially with his low completion percentage, didn't hang around.

Krieg was definitely more of a franchise QB, but for as much as I loved watching that guy he was a fumble machine. He was at least average on his TD/INT ratio and completion percentage for the time period, but he lost 81 fumbles in 129 games he played in while a Seahawk. That was probably his biggest drawback and a real killer. But he was definitely a baller.

Yes we got a really good season from Moon and a spirited one from Kitna along the way.

Hass was really good for this team, but he only played three full seasons and another three 14 game seasons out of the ten he was on the roster. Hist first two years were the battle period with Dilfer. Dude was really good, and was the most solid guy to start so much across multiple years for this team up to that point. And hew as part of us realizing that maybe we were't just going to be eternally stuck with a mediocre to bad team every year.

None of these guys were great quarterbacks (Moon aside, but we got him when he was over 40, he wasn't here for long). If Russell Wilson were to never play again, I'd have no problem saying he is the best QB this team has ever had. He already has seven complete seasons under his belt as a starter, and he's a prime reason why this team won its first Super Bowl.

This team lacked a QB that could it places until they got Hasselbeck, and he wasn't the hero that was going to take over the game. Wilson is the first QB this team has had that falls into that territory. It's been a really good seven years.

McGruff

Reaction score
Cool seeing how deferential Russ is to the other three.

Really takes a back seat.

Hass is one of the best personalities ever to play for us, and even though it didnt work, I will always remember the flip as a legendary moment.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yes, that flip... We want the ball and we're going to score!
Uh, wrong team for the scoring pass... but, Hass, as always, true to his word.

So sad, no love here for the Kelly Stouffer/Dan McGwire/Stan Gelbaugh era. Not to mention the Rick Mirer era. I mean, you need a few valleys to really appreciate the magnificence of the peaks. Otherwise, it's just a plateau.

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
I was kind of shocked that Russ didn’t know there was a period where Zorn and Krieg played for the Hawks at the same time.

These kids nowadays, I’ll tell ya!

uncle fester

Reaction score
olyfan63":39gxf38m said:
So sad, no love here for the Kelly Stouffer/Dan McGwire/Stan Gelbaugh era. Not to mention the Rick Mirer era.

Well, it was hard to love.

It was hard to watch, mostly, but it was hard to love.

(But yes, you're right about peaks and troughs)

Torc

Reaction score
olyfan63":l8awnd3y said:
So sad, no love here for the Kelly Stouffer/Dan McGwire/Stan Gelbaugh era. Not to mention the Rick Mirer era. I mean, you need a few valleys to really appreciate the magnificence of the peaks. Otherwise, it's just a plateau.

I've always wondered what would have happened if Knox hadn't been fired. Stouffer showed some good stuff when he stepped in for an injured Krieg (TD pass with a broken nose....), and the coaching stuff seemed intent on actually developing him. Flores proved unable to develop any QB.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Absolutely loved watching Krieg at QB back in the 80s. Loved his style, assertiveness, and ability to make plays. He made you want to root for him. Was always ecstatic when Seattle won largely because Krieg had a good day delivering the football, and always felt genuinely bummed for him in games where he and his team valiantly gave it everything they had but lost.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Ruminator":2z7ze084 said:
Absolutely loved watching Krieg at QB back in the 80s. Loved his style, assertiveness, and ability to make plays. He made you want to root for him. Was always ecstatic when Seattle won largely because Krieg had a good day delivering the football, and always felt genuinely bummed for him in games where he and his team valiantly gave it everything they had but lost.

I loved Dave Krieg as a person and by all accounts, he was a great teammate and a fierce competitor. But he was torturous to watch. He was a turnover machine, and it always came at the worst possible moments. I once saw him fumble when there wasn't a defender within 5 yards from him and he was nearly standing still.

Years later, I heard that he unusually small hands, pixie hands.

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
I remember the old joke about Krieg was how “consistently inconsistent” he played from one week to the next. Yes, the fumbles were a huge problem. He once held the record for most in NFL history. But when that dude was “on,” man was he fun to watch.