A thought about " Culture "

Ozzy

Reaction score
You tag QBs as elite before they earn that right - Just my opinion.

Fair but who else? Ten years is a long enough time for me to judge someone. I get it you guys hate him now and a lot of it I do understand to rewrite history like he wasn’t a monster while here is just goofy to me. Go look at his ten year run in comparison to some all time greats. He’s right there with everyone else.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ok, i'm thinking. Not sure I remember ever saying I hate him. I remember saying the Seahawks would never do anything ever again under Pete, and i've said that for years. I've said it was time to move on from Pete, and I said that for years too. All opinions that ownership shares evidently, as he's no longer the coach. Can't ever remember saying I hate him though.

So, you can keep talking in parables and we'll keep trying to understand you I suppose. Also, the only funnier thing than your posts is how you disappeared for a few days once Pete got canned. LOLOL.
Wow, just can't remember being caustic & cocky?? how convenient.. I was blocked from posting for a week, pretty funny, eh?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Something I thought of after listening to KJ Wright on the Jim Rome show when he mentioned how after a few years you've heard the same stories and speeches from Pete. KJ's opinion was Pete was great with what he did over the years but it was time for a change.
It got me thinking to how this year went.

I was thinking back in when we had do a "mini-rebuild" after losing the LOB and a lot of guys from that era. Remember those comments back then when guys talked about tuning out the message? I recall friends of mine who weren't Hawks fans congratulating me on the playoff spot in 2018 rebuilding on the fly.
Well we are now 4-5 years after that turnover. Was the same cycle starting to happen again?

Just a thought

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Wow, just can't remember being caustic & cocky?? how convenient.. I was blocked from posting for a week, pretty funny, eh?

I was confident in my opinion (which turned out to be correct) if that's what your referring to, but I never said I hated anybody.
Banned for a week? Hopefully it was a learning experience.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Professional football players exist in a situation we can't really understand. It's transactional (draft, sign, re-sign, release, cut, trade, etc) but to be successful you have to work together well as a team over relatively short periods of time (a season) before disruptions occur.

Coaches have to get players on the same page and buy in. There's different ways to implement it. Carroll has a way of doing it and that's where the "culture" description comes in. He's clearly inspired a lot of players during his tenure over the years. The dude uses the words but also comes through. You see people try to mimic this in the non-sports world, but it often goes poorly because they don't know what they are doing are aren't acting in good faith.

When I hear people talk about how "culture" doesn't matter, or more broadly disparaging NFL players because of how much they get paid ("JUST DO YOUR JOB"), I wonder what life experiences they've had. With rare exceptions, NFL players still have to buy into something that is greater than themselves to be successful.

Whether you're a player for the Seattle Seahawks, an aircraft technician for Alaskan Airlines, or an infantry lance corporal in the Marines, leadership and teamwork matter; that's the "culture". When people just start acting completely transactionally and showing up for a paycheck things start breaking down.

renofox

Reaction score
...When people just start acting completely transactionally and showing up for a paycheck things start breaking down.
Agreed, sort of. I believe the culture breakdown precedes the lack of commitment. We just witnessed the perfect example of this - the Seahawks. Accountability is necessary, but not sufficient, for effective organizational culture.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Imo , a team doesn't need a special ' culture ' to win .
Money , awards , trophees and celebrity are the best motivators . Why complicate it ?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
@scutterhawk one more “eat s***” post and you’re gone. We don’t need that kind of base, rude discourse here.

Unless you want to “suicide by mod” than I am more than happy to oblige you.

ivotuk

Reaction score
- Culture is not hocus pocus. It is a long term commitment to environment and treatment of employees. Why do so many guys speak so highly of Pete, even though he traded some of them, let some of them walk, probably had contentious negotiations with many of them. Because that is the busy side of it. But if your "culture" is strong enough, players know they will be respected and treated fairly on a day to day basis. If you have never coached or managed people it is hard to explain.
- I coached youth sports for years and I manage work crews now. Some of my guys have hard, dirty jobs. The pay is average, and yet our turnover is minimal. Why? Because they trust us as leaders. The job needs to be done but they know we will try to be as fair, and equitable as we can, and allow them to be people and not robots.
- Whether star football player or ditch digger, people want to know that those above them, have a core belief in their value as employees, and will work to create the best environment for both.

Mase

This is so important, and so easy to do, yet long time employees (especially public service employees), willingly create a Toxic work environment just so that they feel better about themselves. And they have no clue how bad it makes them look. Either that, or they're so entrenched in their position that they have no risk of being fired.

Culture is everything. Having experience in poor work environments only makes me appreciate my current situation all the better.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
@scutterhawk one more “eat s***” post and you’re gone. We don’t need that kind of base, rude discourse here.

Unless you want to “suicide by mod” than I am more than happy to oblige you.

Aros, it's fine. Go easy on Scutter. We don't see eye to eye and he's angry, but it's all good. Scutter has been a valued poster for a long time. Don't let our minor squabble screw things up. It's over now and it's all good. Let's just move on.

Latest posts