A Win Is A Win.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We know all the cliches. Ugly wins, beautiful losses, et al...

At the end of the day, we celebrate a victory regardless of strength of opponent because as Mack Strong always used to say, it's not easy to win in the NFL.

I was flabbergasted over the defense in the first half. I mean, PUTRID effort. Thankfully they pulled their heads out in the second half more or less but holy hell do we need to hit the restart button, especially on the DL.

The lack of pass rush is alarming and shocking. In that first half it almost appeared that their game plan was RETREAT!!

Making a rookie QB look like Tom Brady was hard to stomach so I am glad the game turned around in the second half.

Don't get me wrong. I will take a win ANY way I get it, but today was proof that the offseason is going to be very, very interesting.

xray

Reaction score
A loss is a loss too. So what ?

Polk738

Reaction score
Aros":4vaoyrq4 said:

At the end of the day, we celebrate a victory regardless of strength of opponent because as Mack Strong always used to say, it's not easy to win in the NFL.

I was flabbergasted over the defense in the first half. I mean, PUTRID effort. Thankfully they pulled their heads out in the second half more or less but holy hell do we need to hit the restart button, especially on the DL.

The lack of pass rush is alarming and shocking. In that first half it almost appeared that their game plan was RETREAT!!

Making a rookie QB look like Tom Brady was hard to stomach so I am glad the game turned around in the second half.

Don't get me wrong. I will take a win ANY way I get it, but today was proof that the offseason is going to be very, very interesting.

Other than Al Woods I'd say they were mostly unimpressive today from a pass rush standpoint, Darrell Taylor seems to be the only one showing upside, everyone else just looks like they are going through the motions, Carlos Dunlap has to be the biggest disappointment of all with the season he had last year.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Agreed Aros.

It was a nice, comfortable victory for once.
Hopefully the team can build off this momentum against the Rams next weekend.

sutz

Reaction score
At least we didn't leave as many points on the field as we did last game. :mrgreen:

It's a team we should have beat soundly and we did.

Plus, one of my pet likes: They scored in every quarter. :irishdrinkers:

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":26vv7h2t said:

Why was this game proof that the off season is going to be very very interesting?

I would think that the proof would come next week vs the Rams...that's the big game. I mean if they win that one I think they got a shot at winning out. Not sure if they make the playoffs but if they win out that's what is going says a lot about this team IMO at least...

LTH

RiverDog

Reaction score
Aros":1x4l6g01 said:

I liked the way the offensive line played, but we do have to note that the Texans have the worst run defense in the league. Next week will be a much better test.

Penny had a career game. He ran strong between the tackles, more of a downhill runner than Collins is. The next 4 games will be a good test to see if we want to bring him back next season. We declined his 5th year option so he's a free agent but Carson has been so unreliable that we may want to consider re-signing him. If we don't, then we'll have to pick one up in the draft...with no #1 pick.

It will be an interesting offseason, and it might start sooner than you think. There's new rules regarding to teams talking to other team's coaches about potential openings. You can talk to them as early as Week 17, but only if your HC position is vacant. The Raiders have already fired Gruden and it's likely that Meyer at Jacksonville is a goner, so if we lose vs the Rams next week, don't be surprised if Pete bites the dust before we ring in the New Year.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was very happy with Penny's game today. More for him than anything. His heartfelt presser after the game was indicative of the importance of making through a game without injury for him.

I still can't quantify why there is such a dichotomy between the first half defense and the second half defense. How can you look so awful and suddenly wake up and look decent and keep them from scoring in the second half?

I am happy for the victory but watching the game there were many times I was like, "ooooh, we really have work to do in the offseason." Primarily the DL and OL.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
sutz":2y23immr said:
At least we didn't leave as many points on the field as we did last game. :mrgreen:

It's a team we should have beat soundly and we did.

Plus, one of my pet likes: They scored in every quarter. :irishdrinkers:

^^^^ this.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A 20 point win on the road is solid, regardless WHO you are playing. They did what you're supposed to do against a bad team. And were it not for some brutal officiating and/or non-calls, they win by a lot more.
I'll take it. Never apologize for a win, ever.