Aaron Levine Thinks We Should Get This Guy

kearly

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":go82zu8k said:
Anyone who actually read the released texts between him and Incognito should clearly see that, although they actually both came off as huge dicks and idiots, it was friendly frat-boy banter between the two. And in the end Martin screwed over Incognito and ruined his career. I don't want a mentally unstable guy who will screw over his teammates anywhere near my team, and that's totally ignoring his sub-par play on the field.

As indicated by common sense and backed up by psychologists, Martin's "returned fire" comments are very common in bullying victims. Martin hoped that by fitting in the bullying would stop.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't want Martin on our team. Best of intentions or not, he would be, at least initially, a big locker room sideshow for the media and we know how Pete feels about that (always refusing Hard Knocks, etc).

It's true that he was horrifically bad with Miami, too. To be fair, there is a well documented link between extreme stress and very poor performance. Stress on the level of suicidal thoughts can turn straight A students into high school dropouts. It's not a stretch to think that Martin could be a good NFL player if he recuperates emotionally.

But I don't know. As much as the idea makes sense in theory, as much as I liked him as a prospect in 2012, I'm not sure he fits what we do here. He's more of a Sean Locklear kind of tackle, not a guy who is relentless like Breno.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
kearly":vox67oh9 said:
therealjohncarlson":vox67oh9 said:
Anyone who actually read the released texts between him and Incognito should clearly see that, although they actually both came off as huge dicks and idiots, it was friendly frat-boy banter between the two. And in the end Martin screwed over Incognito and ruined his career. I don't want a mentally unstable guy who will screw over his teammates anywhere near my team, and that's totally ignoring his sub-par play on the field.

As indicated by common sense and backed up by psychologists, Martin's "returned fire" comments are very common in bullying victims. Martin hoped that by fitting in the bullying would stop.

See I don't really buy that because if you read the actual texts Martin came off as a guy that actually enjoyed hanging out with Incognito and initiated conversations and hang outs with him. Maybe, yes, underneath the texts, psychologically Martin felt bullied but by strictly going by the texts no one would know that. Incognito was doing but he does best, being a dick, and by all accounts Martin was being a dick right back at him.

Blaming Incognito for Martin having psychological problems and reacting internally much differently to how he reacted externally is frickin' ridiculous. It's like teasing a friend and him cutting himself, and everyone blaming you for causing it.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
kearly":1c8c5u9e said:
I don't want Martin on our team. Best of intentions or not, he would be, at least initially, a big locker room sideshow for the media and we know how Pete feels about that (always refusing Hard Knocks, etc).

It's true that he was horrifically bad with Miami, too. To be fair, there is a well documented link between extreme stress and very poor performance. Stress on the level of suicidal thoughts can turn straight A students into high school dropouts. It's not a stretch to think that Martin could be a good NFL player if he recuperates emotionally.

But I don't know. As much as the idea makes sense in theory, as much as I liked him as a prospect in 2012, I'm not sure he fits what we do here. He's more of a Sean Locklear kind of tackle, not a guy who is relentless like Breno.

My thinking is that its doubtful anyone will trade a draft pick for him so the Dolphins will be forced to release him. At that point the Seahawks could pick him up cheap, bring him into camp and let him compete for a spot on the roster. He might be able to thrive in an environment where Russell Wilson is a team leader rather than Richie Incognito and if that's the case they get a player who was a 2nd round pick just a couple of years ago for next to nothing. If he turns out to be too emotionally fragile or too soft for Tom Cable's system, then cut him.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I know it's the off-season so we as fans will kick the tires on everyone but I don't see Pete bringing this guy in. Not that I question Martin's toughness because he got bullied I question his toughness on the field. Can you think of many players that PC/JS have brought in that have been described as soft? Even with Jake Long -- Martin was a weak spot on the Dolphins OL.

I don't think they touch this guy with a 10 foot pole.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Work him out... if he's got talent, then sign him. If not, move on.

willyum

Reaction score
just my personal opinion, don't know how Martin is as a player, but I dont care how bad things get, you contemplate suicide you are weak, simple as that. And the situation that he was in: guys bullying him in the locker room, when he wasn't even the only one getting bullied, thinking about suicide for something like THAT?

Mike Ditka was the only one that had the balls to speak the brutal truth, but I guarantee you many, many, many other coaches/players/personnel thought the same exact thing about Martin