Adam Schefter on salary cap

mikeak

Reaction score
Throwdown":2kjmi8i3 said:
SacHawk2.0":2kjmi8i3 said:
I could swear someone on .net saw this coming. Hmmmmm, who could that person be? I wonder.....

Anyone who knew anything knew that the cap was going up, just no one saw it going up like this, nahmean?

I would say most people expected a very big jump after this season because it was time for a new TV deal.

I don't think many saw the $7million extra this year. Maybe $128 instead of $126 but that is a large jump

I would say the FO banked on the extra money next two years and doubt they would have signed Harvin otherwise

DavidSeven

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":7fxyc6c9 said:
1. The agents and teams would have a general idea of what the future salary cap figures will be. It is based off of a formula and it would not be difficult to make projections.

2. I'd argue that the agent is also looking at the % of the cap used and not just dollar value comparables from previous contracts. The increase in the salary cap is like inflation. If the player isn't going to market and being able to find out their value, then they will compare to previous year contracts and apply the inflation rate.

e.g. It is a broad generalization because the contract is made up of many years, guaranteed money and bonuses, etc. but if Cam Newton receives 15% of the salary cap in 2015, then Russell Wilson will be expecting 15% of the cap in 2016.

No. No one guessed the current cap number right until maybe a week before it was confirmed. You can't base hard dollars on guesses. The cap growth over the next two years is entirely dependent upon future revenues, which can't be guessed to an exact number and will depend on a variety of variables.

In the real world, inflation also lags behind money supply growth. Prices don't increase because people guess that the money supply might grow in two years. It happens after the fact. You don't base the price of your house on what you think might happen with the money supply. You base it on what your neighbor got for his house six months ago.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I have a crazy suspicion we may keep Clemons. Or at least until Michael Bennett is signed.

Jville

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":3ks0we28 said:
I have a crazy suspicion we may keep Clemons. Or at least until Michael Bennett is signed.

An astute observation. Although, Bennett's eventual signing is far from being a certain outcome.

Hawks46

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3dx2x57i said:
fridayfrenzy":3dx2x57i said:
Why does it become easier?

The agents will still be fighting for a contract which is based on a percentage of the salary cap.

It matters if you lock them up through extensions the year before big increases are confirmed.

Also, contract values are determined by comparables from the previous year. It's just like real estate. RW's deal will largely be based on what Kaepernick and Newton are paid. Eventually, those prices rise, but it usually lags behind increases in the cap.

Agreed. I'm seeing the market for Wilson being set by Kaepernick and Newton. Kap has already come out and said he won't go for a max contract to help the team. I think Newton will get all the money he can. Both teams are cap strapped, so if one QB goes for blood, it's going to hurt that team and we're going to see a rash of restructures and releases.

That might help us with Wilson. It's easy to ask for a lot of money when the cap goes up, but it becomes a lot harder when you see teams dump half their quality guys to sign a QB. Look at the Ravens, think they're happy with Flacco's deal now ?

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Regarding salary: Wilson doesn't worry me. Wilson's agent kinda-sorta does. I hope that Mark Rodgers respects the gap between MLB and NFL salaries.

Interesting story here.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
DavidSeven":fqt5p45z said:
fridayfrenzy":fqt5p45z said:
1. The agents and teams would have a general idea of what the future salary cap figures will be. It is based off of a formula and it would not be difficult to make projections.

2. I'd argue that the agent is also looking at the % of the cap used and not just dollar value comparables from previous contracts. The increase in the salary cap is like inflation. If the player isn't going to market and being able to find out their value, then they will compare to previous year contracts and apply the inflation rate.

e.g. It is a broad generalization because the contract is made up of many years, guaranteed money and bonuses, etc. but if Cam Newton receives 15% of the salary cap in 2015, then Russell Wilson will be expecting 15% of the cap in 2016.

No. No one guessed the current cap number right until maybe a week before it was confirmed. You can't base hard dollars on guesses. The cap growth over the next two years is entirely dependent upon future revenues, which can't be guessed to an exact number and will depend on a variety of variables.

In the real world, inflation also lags behind money supply growth. Prices don't increase because people guess that the money supply might grow in two years. It happens after the fact. You don't base the price of your house on what you think might happen with the money supply. You base it on what your neighbor got for his house six months ago.
You can project the future salary cap. It does not have to be exact but you will get a reasonable range. Schneider et al are making contracts which include annual salaries into the future. You really think they are just making these contracts up without a plan?

Why do you think the most current super star contracts are the highest in history every year? It is because they are getting as much as the last player with the added increase in the salary cap. It is how the rookie contracts worked as well. Tenth pick overall got X amount. Salary cap increased by 5%. Now the current tenth pick gets X amount plus 5%.

The salary cap increase is to pay players more. That lift is going to go to the superstars first before any mid-tier or lower tier players.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
So how much cap room do we have now? This means we weren't starting in the red like was originally thought, correct? At one point I saw -$3 million...but with the additional cap money, the cuts of Rice and Red...we now have to be near at least +$15 million, right?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkFan72":25k0i1fl said:
So how much cap room do we have now? This means we weren't starting in the red like was originally thought, correct? At one point I saw -$3 million...but with the additional cap money, the cuts of Rice and Red...we now have to be near at least +$15 million, right?
More like 25. We were under 3 and the cap is going up 10 and we just shedded 12 more today.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Blitzer88":20rmj5n5 said:
Well, hopefully this allows us to lock up some of our own guys long term.
That is the plan. You lock your core up (10-15 guys tops more likely 8-12 guys) and draft and use FA to fill in the gaps like New England or Green Bay. We done the critical part that makes it already we have our franchise quarterback.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2lgaitdi said:
Well, hopefully this allows us to lock up some of our own guys long term.
That is the plan. You lock your core up (10-15 guys tops) and draft and use FA to fill in the gaps like New England or Green Bay. We done the critical part that makes it already we have our franchise quarterback.

mikeak

Reaction score
NE and GB put everything on the back of the QB and have not win the big game for quite a few years. I know everyone loves to use them as examples but they are anomalies because of how good their quarterbacks are (yes RW can reach that level) and to me what they prove is exactly what Denver proved this year. You need a team to win not a couple individual players....

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":y9qjcpyx said:
HawkFan72":y9qjcpyx said:
More like 25. We were under 3 and the cap is going up 10 and we just shedded 12 more today.

We're at $17.8M free now.

Releasing Clemons and Miller would free up another $12.5M

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Uninfortunately the economics of football dictate differently. When you have one position taking 15-20% of the cap there's no way around it. I expect Wilson will get 15-18 million next year something similar to Keapernick and Newton.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2j1wy39z said:
MizzouHawkGal":2j1wy39z said:
HawkFan72":2j1wy39z said:

Expect that soon. We already have their replacements on the roster. This doesn't mean we don't get them back though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1jqk3kpt said:
Hasselbeck":1jqk3kpt said:
MizzouHawkGal":1jqk3kpt said:
HawkFan72":1jqk3kpt said:

Expect that soon. We already have their replacements on the roster. This doesn't mean we don't get them back though.

Other possible cuts could be Farwell ($1.5M savings) and Carpenter ($1.4M savings)

Farwell I would be more inclined to keep though.. Carpenter I would hold off until camp to make a move on him.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1axy698l said:
Evil_Shenanigans":1axy698l said:
It will certainly help, but I doubt the 7M increase will cover Russells new deal.

In the first year, depending on the contract is structured, it will get very close.

not sure how they can make a deal paying an avg of 16-18 mil a year have a cap hit of only 7 mil the first year. They will need more and it is not just Rw they need to sign, its also ET, and Sherm

Anthony!

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":23zhcfe8 said:
HawkFan72":23zhcfe8 said:

Thats about right and they can gain another 10-12 with Clemons either being released or redoing, Miller and a few others. All total I think they said on KJR they can easily get about 40 mil below the cap without any serious issues this year.