Adam Schein gives Seahawks "A Ton" of Credit for the WIn

ivotuk

Reaction score
The end of the World is coming! :p

"Well, great news for you, Doug: I give the Seahawks a ton of credit for showing amazing heart, mettle, grit, talent, clutch play and tenacity to roar back and capture a 28-22 overtime win.

But this game -- and the second half of the Seahawks' season -- was a fantastic combination of great play and great fortune."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... in-a-title

Hawkpower

Reaction score
What "great fortune" did we enjoy in the 2nd half of the year?

Guy makes it seem as if we had some beacon of luck bestowed upon us.....

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":dfyp0h63 said:

Well, it helps that the 49ers were melting down and the Cardinals lost Palmer (who was playing solid ball... not spectacular, but leagues better than Stanton and Lindley). It also helps that the Bills managed to get it done against the Packers, which opened up the road to the #1 seed again.

There's no shame in acknowledging that we caught some breaks. Great teams usually do. The important thing is that they capitalize on them, and winning our final 6 games was exactly that.

As for the rest of Schein's article, the main point is one he absolutely nails: Seattle can't expect to put up a performance like that again and win the SB against the Patriots. It's so rare for a team to turn the ball over 5 times and still win, which is why Carroll's almost obsessed with eliminating turnovers. Even with our defense dominating the best offense in the NFL, we still needed fake FG trickery, a low-probability onside kick, and a miraculous 2-point conversion to win that game. That's a lot of unlikely scenarios to come out on the right side of.

I'll say this... if the Hawks play D in the SB like they did this past Sunday and our offense doesn't turn the ball over, I think we win. But if we have another 5 turnover game, we're done.

McGruff

Reaction score
Here's the way I think of it . . .

The Seahawks gave Green Bay the game for 55 minutes, and the Packers couldn't take advantage of it.

The Packers gave Seattle the game for 5 minutes, and the Seahawks made it count.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1adumfax said:
Hawkpower":1adumfax said:

As for the rest of Schein's article, the main point is one he absolutely nails: Seattle can't expect to put up a performance like that again and win the SB against the Patriots. It's so rare for a team to turn the ball over 5 times and still win, which is why Carroll's almost obsessed with eliminating turnovers. Even with our defense dominating the best offense in the NFL, we still needed fake FG trickery, a low-probability onside kick, and a miraculous 2-point conversion to win that game. That's a lot of unlikely scenarios to come out on the right side of.

Nails? More like stating the obvious.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2s86r8vi said:
volsunghawk":2s86r8vi said:
Hawkpower":2s86r8vi said:

I don't want them to do this again, but I think we've proved that we can struggle and still win. Not just this game, but multiple games the last few seasons.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":9s23ywmd said:
volsunghawk":9s23ywmd said:
Hawkpower":9s23ywmd said:

So it was a low bar for him to clear. I still don't understand the animosity here when he says that the Seahawks were fortunate as well as clutch.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
People act like there's ever been a team to make the Super Bowl that didn't catch breaks along the way. SMH. Our ability to capitalize on them is a big part of what makes this team so uniquely talented and on the verge of turning into the next NFL dynasty.

Laloosh

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ztyqyc3 said:
People act like there's ever been a team to make the Super Bowl that didn't catch breaks along the way. SMH. Our ability to capitalize on them is a big part of what makes this team so uniquely talented and on the verge of turning into the next NFL dynasty.
Great point and I can't help but feel like a big motivator for all of the qualifiers is so they don't have to acknowledge how good the team and the organization are. It's their way of putting an asterisk on this team's accomplishments.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2ecsx622 said:
Seanhawk":2ecsx622 said:
volsunghawk":2ecsx622 said:
Hawkpower":2ecsx622 said:

So it was a low bar for him to clear. I still don't understand the animosity here when he says that the Seahawks were fortunate as well as clutch.

Probably because there are very few NFL teams that advance this far that didnt have some breaks along the way.

The only reason to make it an issue as a writer is to diminish somewhat the accomplishments of the team at hand.

There was no "great fortune" when a handful of our defensive starters missed parts of the first half of the season. It goes both ways. Thats football.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":4aby5wwz said:

My EXACT take on this also.
The "Great Fortune" line of shit that he is so glib about throwing in there, is a backhanded way of saying that they didn't actually EARN those victories, but rather a bunch of lucky bounces going their way.
Was it also lucky to have all the injuries to some of our key players?
Was it "Great Fortune", or GUTS that Russell Wilson wasn't knocked out of the game by a cheap shot?
Was it "Great Fortune" or TENACITY that had Richard Sherman STAYING in the game with a painful injury?
The Seahawks "Great Fortune", (LUCK) was 99.99? hard work, and 00.01% tenacity.
These SEAHAWKS players could have just as easily conceded the win to the Packers, especially with the insurmountable odds that were keeping them down for 55+ minutes of play, but as "LUCK" would have it, they just wouldn't quit.

kearly

Reaction score
A quick glance at Arizona's numbers before losing Palmer would tell you that they were incredibly fortunate to ever challenge Seattle this season.

As far as the GB game, which is what Schein is really getting at, yes, Seattle is lucky to be there. And this is because a team that had 14 turnovers ALL SEASON had 5 turnovers in one game. Seattle and Green Bay played a mostly mistake free game in September and Seattle rolled.

Seattle finished #1 in DVOA for three straight years. There is no team in the NFL that deserves to be in the SB more than them.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I also took it as a backhanded article. The idea he projects is seahawks are only here because of luck during the season.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Good fortune, like the Pats being in a miserable division for 11 straight years? I mean, c'mon, the 49ers as a franchise were broken on the crucible that is the Seahawks. The Seahawks don't get the #1 seed without the incredible win streak to close the year, regardless of what the Cardinals did.

The Seahawks are going to have to play an incredible game to beat a worthy adversary. We all knew that going in and it's going to be awesome.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I have been listening to the narrative and reading some forums since Sunday. Here is my recap from all the dumb Media Talking Heads:

The Seahawks are the luckiest team on earth. Russell Wilson is just plain lucky. In the first half, the world saw exactly why he shouldn't be a Franchise QB.
But Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck , Tom Brady and Payton Manning are just great. Those guys are amazing. If it wasn't for the stupid TE of the Green Bay Packers, we would have had the greatest Super Bowl ever (Aaron vs Tom).
The greatest quotes I heard came from Chris Carter. He gave our team tons of credit for fighting back, despite an awful day. He gave Russell all his props.
I don't care what people say, GB didn't give us anything. We took it away from them. We stole their candy ... And I loved it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2hft1ttp said:
Hawkpower":2hft1ttp said:

Well, it helps that the 49ers were melting down and the Cardinals lost Palmer (who was playing solid ball... not spectacular, but leagues better than Stanton and Lindley). It also helps that the Bills managed to get it done against the Packers, which opened up the road to the #1 seed again.

There's no shame in acknowledging that we caught some breaks. Great teams usually do. The important thing is that they capitalize on them, and winning our final 6 games was exactly that.

I'll say this... if the Hawks play D in the SB like they did this past Sunday and our offense doesn't turn the ball over, I think we win. But if we have another 5 turnover game, we're done.

Yea he says we have to play better to beat NE.

Well, no crap Capt. Obvious. Holy sh*t. How do people actually get paid to do this ? A retarded monkey could've came up with that premise. No offense to retarded monkeys. No animals were hurt in the posting of this message.

daveca5150

Reaction score
Hawks46":2cxouqip said:
volsunghawk":2cxouqip said:
Hawkpower":2cxouqip said:

Yea he says we have to play better to beat NE.

Well, no crap Capt. Obvious. Holy sh*t. How do people actually get paid to do this ? A retarded monkey could've came up with that premise. No offense to retarded monkeys. No animals were hurt in the posting of this message.

As a mentally handicapped monkey, I am not offended...

I can't see too many ways an analyst could write about this game without going into the land of 'duh'.

The Seahawks, like every super bowl team in history, have experienced a ton of good fortune to get here. But it's rare for that good fortune to be so concentrated and so visible. I think analysts who are looking for a story line find obvious ones to resonate with more people.

What I can't figure out is why more in the national media can't see the pure gold in the true story behind the Seahawks. A team full of under rated, over performing players who won it all last year, had to go through the turmoil of guys getting paid, guys leaving, offensive identity changes, 3-3, 6-4, then a team meeting and an epic turn-around, a 6 game run through the gauntlet that is the NFC West, then an improbable, record setting come back against the number 1 offense in the league.

I can't think of a better narrative, but it doesn't fit the character that they've already created for the Seahawks so it's ignored. Instead we get reports about fans leaving early, lucky plays, 'backing' into the super bowl, and a Packers melt down.

Latest posts