AFC Exec-ASJ overrated "pain"

DJrmb

Reaction score
I didn't see this posted yet (forgive me if I missed it somewhere else):

According to Packer Report, Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins clocked a 4.56 forty-yard dash during a Friday workout with the Jets.
We're always wary of misinformation this time of year, but Packer Report's source is ex-NFL scout Dave-Te' Thomas, who has a solid reputation as far as we can tell. Seferian-Jenkins weighed in at 6-foot-6, 271, making the 4.56 mind blowing even if you account for a potentially "fast track." ASJ added a ridiculous 37 1/2-inch vertical, per the report. The 2013 Mackey Award winner did not test at the Combine due to foot surgery to repair a stress fracture. We expect Seferian-Jenkins to be a second-round draft pick
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9400/austin-seferian-jenkins

Wow, if those numbers are close to real (coming off surgery too), they are impressive. I think most of us knew that ASJ was a pretty good athlete, the question is likely going to be motivation and work ethic, but most of all direction. Knowing Austin a little bit (through a cousin not personally), I don't believe the work ethic part is really the issue, but more direction. I don't think that Steve Sarkisian really knew or decided what to do with ASJ and didn't do a very good job of coaching him up. Austin was kind of just left on his own a bit to figure things out and use his athleticism. On the right team with good coaching, leaders, and good people that can help him direct his passion and desire onto the field ASJ can be a VERY productive complete TE in the NFL. His blocking is better than he gets credit for, however he needs coaching/experience. He shows flashes of great blocking at times for a TE just relying on his strength and athleticism. He's obviously got the hands to be solid at pass catching, and you combine his size/speed ratio and you could have something special.

With that said, a lot of NFL teams expect a finished or near finished product and don't invest a lot into coaching guys up at this level. Because of that players like ASJ enter the league every year doomed to be nothing more than average. However the Seahawks have taken a different approach in coaching. They really seem to spend the time and resources to actually continue to groom guys and have shown the patience to wait on potential. I think ASJ would be a GREAT fit for this team and would eventually end up as another young superstar in the making. I'm hoping he will fall a bit and we have the opportunity to get him at a spot they feel comfortable waiting on and helping to develop Austin's potential.