After the first game

LTH

Reaction score
I thought there was GREAT effort in this game. I thought the third string guys just tore it up... those guys were jacked up hitting and making plays...

I think Jake Bobo is going to make this team. The Seahawks are going to have some hard decisions like keeping Eskridge . Personally I would rather have Bobo.

It was the first game and there were some mistakes but I think they smoothed it out after the first quarter after the nerves were gone. Mafa looked good Morris had some plays. I thought the 2nd string O line didn't look as good as I wanted them to look but there feet are wet let's see what the next two games look like... anybody see Bradford's pancake? OLU looked good better than Evans I thought...

There is going to be a fight for the last WR spots even the practice squad.. we are stacked at WR.

GREAT EFFORT tonight definitely a lot to build on I am encouraged..

LTH

Mick063

Reaction score
Too many new faces on defense. You will see during the first meaningful game. It is going to take time for them to gel against the run game. Don't panic. They will get up to snuff in time for a great season.

I think Bobo gets waived when Eskridge comes back from his suspension. If he makes the 53. I don't think Landers is done showing his stuff either. Bobo isn't a lock even with Eskridge on suspension. It would be great if they could get Landers and Bobo to clear waivers for the practice squad.

Last edited:

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Too many new faces on defense. You will see during the first meaningful game. It is going to take time for them to gel against the run game. Don't panic. They will get up to snuff in time for a great season.

I think Bobo gets waived when Eskridge comes back from his suspension. If he makes the 53. I don't think Landers is done showing his stuff either. Bobo isn't a lock even with Eskridge on suspension. It would be great if they could get Landers and Bobo to clear waivers for the practice squad.
I think Bobo can make the 53 & stay there. Seattle has kept 5/6 receivers before, so I don't see why there can't be room for both him & Eskridge.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Eskridge can't help but get hurt all the time, plus his suspension, I just think he may find himself an odd man out.

GREAT effort by the 2nd/3rds today. Loved the intensity! The second half was quite a difference from the uninspiring first half. Our 2nd string D looked a little too much like our starting D of last season in that first half. Missed tackles, gap containment poor...Ugh.

I liked what Lock showed. Solid. 2 TDs, he slings it pretty good. In a pinch he could keep the light on for us if Geno goes down for a game or two.

All-in-all, no major injuries that I noted. WHOO!

Mick063

Reaction score
Yep Aros, I really, really liked Lock. You can't ask for a better backup situation. I think he enjoys a long NFL career. If not here, then somewhere.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He might look even better with the ones too so that’s a bonus!

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I'm curious why more aren't talking about the actual schemes that the team is using. You can't take much from plays and concepts in the pre-season because teams want to hide those. However actual techniques being taught you can't hide those. The Seahawks in this game changed what was a major thorn last season. They couldn't figure out whether they wanted to 1-gap or 2-gap. It become problematic during nickel packages. D-Line and LBs didn't know their run fits and gaps. Players didn't feel comfortable and thought too much.

I was encouraging to see the team employing 1-gap techniques in this first game. Is Pete Carroll is going back to what worked in the past to stop the run? Who knows what will happen in-season. Will Pete revert back or will the defense stay with some of the Fangio stuff. Was Desai that influential on the schemes? I'm very curious to see what this front 7 look like with the 1s. I'm cautiously bullish based on the scheme.

It's clear that the Seahawks want to keep the 3-4 defense because they now have 3-4 Edges. I just find it interesting that Reed is our 'NT' but really is going to be more of a 1-T and that will fit him much better. He has done it in the past and done it well. Dre Jones is the 3T and Mario Edwards is the 5T. SAM/LEO will be pretty fluid with the Edges.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Eskridge can't help but get hurt all the time, plus his suspension, I just think he may find himself an odd man out.

GREAT effort by the 2nd/3rds today. Loved the intensity! The second half was quite a difference from the uninspiring first half. Our 2nd string D looked a little too much like our starting D of last season in that first half. Missed tackles, gap containment poor...Ugh.

I liked what Lock showed. Solid. 2 TDs, he slings it pretty good. In a pinch he could keep the light on for us if Geno goes down for a game or two.

All-in-all, no major injuries that I noted. WHOO!
A player’s best ability is availability. Tack a suspension on top of injury time missed, time to move on.

Mick063

Reaction score
I'm curious why more aren't talking about the actual schemes that the team is using. You can't take much from plays and concepts in the pre-season because teams want to hide those. However actual techniques being taught you can't hide those. The Seahawks in this game changed what was a major thorn last season. They couldn't figure out whether they wanted to 1-gap or 2-gap. It become problematic during nickel packages. D-Line and LBs didn't know their run fits and gaps. Players didn't feel comfortable and thought too much.

I was encouraging to see the team employing 1-gap techniques in this first game. Is Pete Carroll is going back to what worked in the past to stop the run? Who knows what will happen in-season. Will Pete revert back or will the defense stay with some of the Fangio stuff. Was Desai that influential on the schemes? I'm very curious to see what this front 7 look like with the 1s. I'm cautiously bullish based on the scheme.

It's clear that the Seahawks want to keep the 3-4 defense because they now have 3-4 Edges. I just find it interesting that Reed is our 'NT' but really is going to be more of a 1-T and that will fit him much better. He has done it in the past and done it well. Dre Jones is the 3T and Mario Edwards is the 5T. SAM/LEO will be pretty fluid with the Edges.
Here is exhibit A of what I have been warning about for the past month. For the first couple of regular season games, .NET will have its hair on fire about the defense. Here we are, after watching roughly 7-8 defensive players that will be lucky to make the practice squad, and it has already begun.

So, I'll just keep repeating what I have been writing for the last month. There are way too many new faces on defense for it to gel right away. It is going to take a couple of regular season games to get it ironed out. The defense will get incrementally better until the light bulb suddenly comes on and we see a quantum leap. I give it 5-6 weeks from today and we will be raving about how vastly improved the defense is relative to last year.

I have great faith in Dre' Mont Jones, Mario Edwards, Jarren Reed, Bobby Wagner, Uchenna Nwosu, Boye Mafe, and Jordyn Brooks within the front seven. Most of whom never played a single down against the Vikings.

On another note, the neutering of practice in pads by the CBA as well as the reduction in preseason games by the owners is going to affect the overall quality of the sport. For the entire league. Especially in the first quarter of the season. Tackling suffers. Blocking suffers. Execution suffers. FOR EVERYBODY. Hence it is a level playing field for all of the teams, but still a reduction of overall quality for the fans. A sacrifice imposed upon us in the name of limiting player's exposure to potential injury. The league (probably due to future potential legal issues) has to demonstrate a concerted effort to mitigate player injury. However, regardless of what the league does, I still believe that one day, a class action suit by the players will change the sport so much that it will hardly be recognizable by today's fans. Someday, its coming. Your grandkids are going to be cheering for pro flag football. Pete will be long retired, and I probably won't be alive for it, but it's coming.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
My takeaways;

1. Lock looks better than he did last pre-season, but still way too sloppy with the ball, footwork, etc to even entertain as a legitimate NFL starter.

2. Charbonnet's an absolute mauler stud, and should be a fantastic addition to the backfield. The safety he embarrassed and blew up twice last night? That was the Vikings 1st round draft pick last year, safety out of Georgia.

3. Bobo's gonna make this roster. REALLY smart route runner, and already making plays on special teams.

4. Appears Devin Bush has recovered his burst, looked really fast and explosive last night.

5. Starters on interior D-line better not get hurt, cause there's a big drop off with these young guys.

6. Njiba looks like an 8 year vet, so damn smooth. I can't ever remember watching a rookie with this much route running intelligence and savvy. Already moving upfield while catching the ball, that's very rare for a rookie.

7. Mafe was the best player on the field last night.

8. Backup tackles are terrible. Better hope Cross and Lucas don't miss significant time.

9. Already knew this, but REALLY thin at LB. Better hope Brooks makes it back sooner than later.

Seattle Person

Reaction score

Here is exhibit A of what I have been warning about for the past month. For the first couple of regular season games, .NET will have its hair on fire about the defense. Here we are, after watching roughly 7-8 defensive players that will be lucky to make the practice squad, and it has already begun.

So, I'll just keep repeating what I have been writing for the last month. There are way too many new faces on defense for it to gel right away. It is going to take a couple of regular season games to get it ironed out. The defense will get incrementally better until the light bulb suddenly comes on and we see a quantum leap. I give it 5-6 weeks from today and we will be raving about how vastly improved the defense is relative to last year.

I have great faith in Dre' Mont Jones, Mario Edwards, Jarren Reed, Bobby Wagner, Uchenna Nwosu, Boye Mafe, and Jordyn Brooks within the front seven. Most of whom never played a single down against the Vikings.

On another note, the neutering of practice in pads by the CBA as well as the reduction in preseason games by the owners is going to affect the overall quality of the sport. For the entire league. Especially in the first quarter of the season. Tackling suffers. Blocking suffers. Execution suffers. FOR EVERYBODY. Hence it is a level playing field for all of the teams, but still a reduction of overall quality for the fans. A sacrifice imposed upon us in the name of limiting player's exposure to potential injury. The league (probably due to future potential legal issues) has to demonstrate a concerted effort to mitigate player injury. However, regardless of what the league does, I still believe that one day, a class action suit by the players will change the sport so much that it will hardly be recognizable by today's fans. Someday, its coming. Your grandkids are going to be cheering for pro flag football. Pete will be long retired, and I probably won't be alive for it, but it's coming.

Yes...These are all obvious points aren't they not? But if we look under the hood of the car we are seeing exciting stuff. No one is predicting anything. I'm simply noticing a change in techniques.

It's pretty exciting exciting to me to see power stepping techniques as opposed to mirror techniques. This has nothing to do with 'gelling.' This has nothing to do which players are playing. Let's just explore the X's and O's to explain things.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I know it was against the Vike's #3s but Holton Ahlers impressed me with his touch on his passes, I think with a little more time digesting how Geno drives the Offense, I think he just might be a great backup.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
If eskridge was a 5th round pick (as he ought to have been) he'd have been gone two years ago. It won't be a difficult decision to keep Bobo over Eskridge unless Schneider is trying too much to protect his ego.

Similarly Thompson and Johnson have not flashed as much as Bobo in his short time here. Dareke Young is the only WR I'd put ahead of Bobo for WR4. And that's largely because of his blocking and ST prowess.

Scout

Reaction score
It felt like Mafe was always on the other side of the line of scrimmage. Very excited about him.

Bobo and JSN as rookies run routes like vets and that is exciting.

Bush looks more confident and that is a good sign as he has the athletic ability but his mental game was very lacking for a long time.

Shout out to Bryant Koback who looked fluid moving laterally while still going north south on runs and looked very comfortable as a pass catcher.