Alabama Crimson Tide vs Cleveland Browns

Smellyman

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1x7f04jd said:
Consider how many can't-miss, shining star players have surged out of college only to drift in mediocrity through the NFL, if not flunk out completely after a few quiet years. Jimmy Clausen, Brady Quinn, Troy Smith just to name a few, and those are only quarterbacks. Now consider all the O-linemen, all the pass rushers who are never able to hold a roster spot, let alone shine in a professional game. And I'm not even talking about the complete busts like Ryan Leaf, JeMarcus Russel, or our own Aaron Curry.

Any NFL team would devour any college team.

Trent Richardson......

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
'Bama going up against the worst NFL team is always an amusing storyline, but the Browns would rip them apart. The gulf between college and the pros is ridiculously large.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'd take the Browns by 27, even if they benched their starters.

(almost?) Every player on the Browns roster has at least as much college experience as every Bama player, and most have years of experience beyond that, competing at a higher level. More years to hone their craft. They have the benefit of professional trainers to help them increase their physical and mental fitness, and more years of doing so. They have seen more competition and have learned more subtle tricks to win.

The premise that Bama would stand a chance is ridiculous.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm not sure that a 27 point spread is the same as "standing a chance".

That said, one thing to throw out there is that Bama practices against former pro players. I didn't read the whole article but I recall seeing a story a few weeks ago about how they put former players on their scout team or whatever.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how many NFL caliber players a college team has. NFL players practice, train, and study 50-70 hours a week, and at a much higher level than college players who only put in about 20 hours.

Lemonly

Reaction score
Let's say 8 guys could make Cleveland's ROSTER. Maybe 4 of them can start of Cleveland. Going to be a blowout. Give me the points and the Browns. No question.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
HawkGA":lp10ppc4 said:
That said, one thing to throw out there is that Bama practices against former pro players. I didn't read the whole article but I recall seeing a story a few weeks ago about how they put former players on their scout team or whatever.

So they practice against a few guys that aren't even good enough to still be in the league.

I'll take it a step farther. I would take a team comprised solely of practice squad players scavenged from various teams around the league over Bama. Even the practice squad players are the cream of the college crop

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Just bringing up that they have experience practicing against men. Something other college teams don't have.

But again, the thread isn't about who would win, it's about point spreads. So how many points would it take for you to pick Bama?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Point spreads are as dumb as fantasy football, and once an NFL team has the game in hand, they back off.

I have no doubt the Browns practice squad and third string players would have no problem beating a 27 point spread. Probably even a 34 point spread, but they wouldn't do it

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Lemonly":1tfr75xp said:
Let's say 8 guys could make Cleveland's ROSTER. Maybe 4 of them can start of Cleveland. Going to be a blowout. Give me the points and the Browns. No question.

Have you honestly looked at the Browns roster? All of Bama's guys heading pro would not only make the Browns, they'd more than likely start.

I get there is a difference in talent level between college and pro, but the Browns roster has literally 0 draft picks on it ranging from 2011-2015. Cody Kessler is their QB. Bama would eat Kessler for lunch. Crowell wouldn't even be the best RB in the SEC. Their defense outside of aging Joe Haden and Jamie Collins is extremely average and full of fringe NCAA talent.

More often than not you'd be like, yeah the NFL team would manhandle the college team, but thats not the case with the 2016 Browns. I think they beat Alabama, but not by 4 scores.

Bama covers easily in this dream sequence.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2cld8r5k said:
I'll take it a step farther. I would take a team comprised solely of practice squad players scavenged from various teams around the league over Bama. Even the practice squad players are the cream of the college crop

:lol:

No. No they are not.

A lot of you are overstating how much talent is actually in the NFL right now. But especially at the bottom of a roster.

As of this writing, here's our PS per Ourlads

PS
18 Williams, Kasen WR
28 Desir, Pierre CB
46 Palacio, Kache OB
75 Pericak, Will DT
64 Harris, Tylor DT
62 Myers, Robert OG
85 Lucas, Marcus WR
11 Lawler, Kenny WR
94 Hamilton, Justin DT
41 Farmer, George WR

To be honest, I don't know how many of our PS players even start at Alabama, much less beat them on a comprised team. Maybe Kenny Lawler would start, but the other guys ehhhh.. not so much. Hell Pierre Desir went from being on the Browns to our PS.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
And 90 plus percent of the Alabama team won't be good enough to land on a practice squad.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":cxl88hxb said:
bigskydoc":cxl88hxb said:

:lol:

No. No they are not.

A lot of you are overstating how much talent is actually in the NFL right now. But especially at the bottom of a roster.

As of this writing, here's our PS per Ourlads

PS
18 Williams, Kasen WR
28 Desir, Pierre CB
46 Palacio, Kache OB
75 Pericak, Will DT
64 Harris, Tylor DT
62 Myers, Robert OG
85 Lucas, Marcus WR
11 Lawler, Kenny WR
94 Hamilton, Justin DT
41 Farmer, George WR

To be honest, I don't know how many of our PS players even start at Alabama, much less beat them on a comprised team. Maybe Kenny Lawler would start, but the other guys ehhhh.. not so much. Hell Pierre Desir went from being on the Browns to our PS.

Those practice squad guys are all more experienced at football and physically mature than anyone on Alabama. Plus they are working at their craft 2-3 times as often as college players. I would still bet on the practice squad players to beat Alabama. Cleveland's starting team vs Alabama? Not a chance in hell. Wouldn't be surprised if the game ended 100-0.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3pqj7gqo said:
Any NFL team would destroy any college team.

Morons in the South who live and die by their SEC juggernauts do not undetstand the fundamental concept of how unbelievably loaded with talent even the worst NFL team is. So for maybe a dozen future NFL players on Alabama, you have a complete roster of 53 on Cleveland with superior speed, technique, experience and overall talent.

You could even come up with a team of free agent, recently released NFL players that would kill Alabama. There is so much talent at the pro level that the average fan (especially in SEC country) just doesn't appreciate.

This. x1,000,000

'Bama is a very talented COLLEGE team. They wouldn't stand a chance against an NFL team. As far as point spread, it depends on how far out of hand the game gets before Cleveland starts kneeling on every offensive play.

Smellyman

Reaction score
So apparently Clemson, Bama and Pitt could hang with the Browns.