Alex Smith 4 year $17 mill per year with $45 mill guaranteed

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I hope he thanked Harbaugh, not entirely inconceivable to think that he could be out of football without him.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1mofqpdg said:
endzorn":1mofqpdg said:
Wilson will bleed this turnip dry
Nope. Winning is more important to him than money. He'll sign for about 21/22 per.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(for clarity, actually laughed-out-loud at Russ signing for 21/22 per because "winning is more important to him than money", not the suggestion that he'd sign for 21/22 per).

As for Smith, he's in that category of good-but-not-great QBs that are old enough to not still have "promise for development" which people don't really know how to talk about (e.g. Flacco, Stafford, Romo, Eli, Cutler, etc.). We don't know how to talk about them, so they get confused as bad QBs. If Russell, Kap, Cam, and Luck all end up just being who they've been so far (Alex had as good of a year as any of them last year, and on a worse team than the first two) they'll end up in that category too, but they don't get classed that way because their youth allows us to hold out hope they'll still end up as Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Brady.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1rv5gxc0 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1rv5gxc0 said:
endzorn":1rv5gxc0 said:
Wilson will bleed this turnip dry
Nope. Winning is more important to him than money. He'll sign for about 21/22 per.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(for clarity, actually laughed-out-loud at Russ signing for 21/22 per because "winning is more important to him than money", not the suggestion that he'd sign for 21/22 per).

As for Smith, he's in that category of good-but-not-great QBs that are old enough to not still have "promise for development" which people don't really know how to talk about (e.g. Flacco, Stafford, Romo, Eli, Cutler, etc.). We don't know how to talk about them, so they get confused as bad QBs. If Russell, Kap, Cam, and Luck all end up just being who they've been so far (Alex had as good of a year as any of them last year, and on a worse team than the first two) they'll end up in that category too, but they don't get classed that way because their youth allows us to hold out hope they'll still end up as Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Brady.
I laughed too. Only 22 mil? He must be the most generous soul in the world to sign for such a pittance of cash.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
TECHNICALLY

Smith's contract is an extension to what amounts to 5 years, $75 mil.

OR

15 Annual Average Per Year

FURTHERMORE

1. Chiefs gave up two 2nd round picks for Smith

2. They currently don't have a franchise worthy backup and if they continue to trend upwards they likely won't be able to draft such a person.

3. Smith helped turnaround a team that went from worst in 2012 into a contender in 2013 with his leadership and being a steady, consistent contributor.

4. Smith fits perfectly in Reid's WCO. Smith has enough mobility, arm strength, and intelligence to move the chains in a variety of ways. Pair him with a killer Ground game and you have the recipe of a time consuming ball control offense.

5. Since 2011, Smith has one of the highest Win% and lowest Int%.

6. Manning is 39 and Rivers will be 33 in December, which should make Smith in 2-3 years time the senior QB in that Division.

7. Being how the Chiefs have ranked in the top 3 youngest rosters the last 2 years, the team should be able to grow with Smith and Reid into a powerhouse much like the Eagles were for much of a decade.

8. If you love Russell Wilson, I don't know how you can hate Alex Smith. Both are pretty similar in a lot of aspects except that Wilson is like the Super Sayain version of Smith.

9. Imo, Alex Smith > Colin Kaepernick. I think as much as it worked out for them I think Harbaugh butt-fumbled that situation back in 2012 because his child-like arrogance wanted to break out his shiny new toy MAINLY because of the 2012 crop of rookie starters setting the league on fire. Smith would have gotten them the Lombardi back in 2012. Kaepernick is just not good when he's challenged with adversity, when he's burdened with all the expectations in a single moment, and it seems he'll always be a QB that will crumble in crunch time. Kaep will get there one day.

Smith arrived to his Football Nirvana under Harbaugh, in knowing exactly what kind of QB is, what he can and can't do, and. I think Smith or more so Reid found the  perfect fit for the System. And if you got your QB, you pay him. I would probably take Smith over Cutler and they have similar contracts.

15-17 sounds about right.

endzorn

Reaction score
Sherman4Prez":3aowc89h said:
He's worth 12 a year, IMO.
If the market says Joe Flacco is worth 20 per year then Smith is worth at least 17.

hawk45

Reaction score
endzorn":2ue2kgir said:
Sherman4Prez":2ue2kgir said:
He's worth 12 a year, IMO.
If the market says Joe Flacco is worth 20 per year then Smith is worth at least 17.

Not buying that. Flacco took a huge risk, they won it all, and the leverage to overpay him was extreme at that point. In *that* market, yes, Flacco was worth 17 (to the Ravens only, who knows if anyone else would have offered that much). Think Flacco gets 17 in this offseason?

This is the worst outcome for KC fans IMO. Paying top-QB rates for a guy who can't carry a team guarantees you won't get a ring. If they paid him 12 or so and kept putting elite defensive, OL, etc. talent out there they'd have a decent shot, one maybe worth taking.

I do understand there are many saying the *exact* same thing about Wilson, but for one, Lombardi trophy, and for two, Wilson is a young QB who has improved steadily every year but who has been able to make the clutch play from day one.