Alton Robinson is already better than LJ Collier......

PNW

Reaction score
Alton Robinson is already better than LJ Collier, change my mind......

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Different players playing a different position, Robinson is a pure edge rusher while Collier is base end.

I was very happy to have Collier on the team when he stuffed Cam Newton at the end of the Patriots game.

To me I think the jury is out still on which of these players will be the best long term, but we should be happy with the play of Robinson. i do agree i'd like to see more from Collier.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
PNW":340d455i said:
Alton Robinson is already better than LJ Collier, change my mind......

From Pro Football Reference:

Alton Robinson - 148 snaps, 4 pressures = 32 snaps per pressure. 2 sacks.
LJ Collier - 277 snaps, 10 pressures = 27 snaps per pressure. 1 sack.
(For comparison) Quinton Jefferson, 2019 - 588 snaps, 16 pressures = 36.75 snaps per pressure. 3.5 sacks.

LJ Collier slightly higher PFF grade (61.3 v. 59.9)

LJ Collier got pretty fantastic pressure on Alton's cleanup sack last game. He's developing into a pretty strong rusher from the 3.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CorbinSmithNFL/status/1323758931735318530[/tweet]

I like how both of them are coming along.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Collier is more of a Clowney type, stout defensive end that controls the LOS on run downs and makes things uneasy for the QB on passing down. Robinson is more of a pure rush end that you unleash on third down. Different players so it's hard to draw a comparison.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Perhaps they'll both have long careers in Seattle together, and bring some reminiscence of the Jacob Green/Jeff Bryant days...

nanomoz

Reaction score
I see two young players that seem to get better every week and play positively into the plans for this team this season and well beyond. :irishdrinkers:

AlciG

Reaction score
I don't understand the hate for LJ Collier...

I understand he was a 1st rounder...
I understand some people didn't like the pick...
I understand he may never be an All Pro...

But the guy is on the team and contributing...
So I hope he keeps improving and becomes as good as he can be for the team

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This site is great for talking football, but is extremely tough on many players. Especially draft picks.
If they are not JJ Watt w/in 2 years - bust.

5-5
Trade Wags
Fire Pete and John

Ruminator

Reaction score
In that clip above, very cool seeing how pumped the other guys on D were as soon as the QB hit the turf. Neal, Wagz, and others. They're really fired up and support each other.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
AlciG":20voelvb said:
I don't understand the hate for LJ Collier...

I understand he was a 1st rounder...
I understand some people didn't like the pick...
I understand he may never be an All Pro...

But the guy is on the team and contributing...
So I hope he keeps improving and becomes as good as he can be for the team

1st rounder contributing like a UDFA, is my guess.

TypeSly

Reaction score
I think no matter the case of where they are currently, the OP's opinion is definitely biased on where they were selected. For Robinson, if he turns out to an average NFL'er in his position, that's already a decent accomplishment. LJ Collier is already that, but he has an unlimited ceiling. He's not even close to filling out physically yet, so imagine what this guy is going to be like when he is 27?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TypeSly":3t7rrs3z said:
I think no matter the case of where they are currently, the OP's opinion is definitely biased on where they were selected. For Robinson, if he turns out to an average NFL'er in his position, that's already a decent accomplishment. LJ Collier is already that, but he has an unlimited ceiling. He's not even close to filling out physically yet, so imagine what this guy is going to be like when he is 27?

The main hit on Collier coming out of TCU was his lack of an NFL "body."

He's working hard and developing considerable burst, and was already stout in the run game. Yes, he is a bit overaged, and was when we selected him.

That being said, I also like what Robinson is flashing from the Leo spot, plus he has the body to move around the line. I'm excited about him, but even more excited about LJ's potential to be a very good 3-down player. He's developing into a solid base end and has made a few good guards look silly at times. If he does that more consistently, I could see the guy working himself into a lucrative second contract.

It is hard to compare the two, though. Different archetypes, different positions. Collier is never going to get a fair shake because 2019 set the narrative about him in stone, and it's very hard to change the minds of people who naturally want to confirm their priors.

https://sisdatahub.com/leaderboards/DE

Sports Info Solutions has him tied for most hurries on team with Mayowa, and second only to Mayowa in pressures. The whole line is lacking pass rushing effectiveness, but he's an important contributor. I'd like to see more recognize that here.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1gevzwli said:
TypeSly":1gevzwli said:

The main hit on Collier coming out of TCU was his lack of an NFL "body."

He's working hard and developing considerable burst, and was already stout in the run game. Yes, he is a bit overaged, and was when we selected him.

That being said, I also like what Robinson is flashing from the Leo spot, plus he has the body to move around the line. I'm excited about him, but even more excited about LJ's potential to be a very good 3-down player. He's developing into a solid base end and has made a few good guards look silly at times. If he does that more consistently, I could see the guy working himself into a lucrative second contract.

It is hard to compare the two, though. Different archetypes, different positions. Collier is never going to get a fair shake because 2019 set the narrative about him in stone, and it's very hard to change the minds of people who naturally want to confirm their priors.

https://sisdatahub.com/leaderboards/DE

Sports Info Solutions has him tied for most hurries on team with Mayowa, and second only to Mayowa in pressures. The whole line is lacking pass rushing effectiveness, but he's an important contributor. I'd like to see more recognize that here.

Yeah, I guess what I'm trying to say is D-linemen usually take a few years before you know what you're getting. Coming out of college, Collier (like a lot of other D-linemen) faced a lot of O-linemen, that he out-weighed and was more athletic than. At his his current size, he isn't out-weighing anyone on any NFL O-line... and I don't think he's doing too bad. He's showed big improvement from his first year, and I think that trend will continue as he learns how much stronger and more explosive he has to be to compete in the NFL. He's had the same trend when he was in college as well.

OP
OP
PNW

PNW

Reaction score
Yikes that horse collar penalty was a boneheaded play by LJ, cost us 7 points, not that it would have even mattered in the end.