Am I the only one....

Sonichound16

Reaction score
I am pretty excited for the draft and this season. Not having the spectre of the $50+million dollar QB signing looming over our heads and having an amazing amount of cap $$ next year. Use our picks in this years draft to solidify our line and maybe a corner. Take our lumps this year and go into next years draft with 2 picks that should be relatively high and get back to winning. I am just not sure that the current state of the league where you pay QB's 1/3 to 1/2 of your cap is sustainable. I get that you need a great QB to succeed but it seems like you need to do that while they are on their rookie deal and then move on unless they are definitely a game changing QB.

toffee

Reaction score
Pete's Hawks without Wilson was 7-9? If we get to record with say Geno or Lock, would you be reasonably exited for 2023? I would.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is great to hear you are excited. Hoping you are right and we get some good football.

I do bet you are wrong about the model being unsustainable. It feels more like it was purposely designed that way.

If you have a great QB, you slowly have to lose pieces of your team to compete with - just to pay that QB. That assures that eventually the advantage you have with a great QB is offset by the lesser roster. This assures another team with a good/great QB can leapfrog you and that drives another team/franchise into the winning circle. However, as your QB stays in contract the relative % of the cap taken becomes less and you get a chance once every 3-4 years to make a run.

In the meantime, teams with new QBs get chances - and that replenishes the 'star pool'. It also creates a new set of fans in whatever city that is, to drive new merch sales and marketing opportunities.

Teams use QBs as the face of a franchise for a reason. They are more important than coaches right now.

That seems more by design and likely to continue, if not accelerate, vs tail off. The NFL wants to make it easy for teams to make investments, be more marketable, and constantly put new blood in the playoffs - focusing on the QBs does this.

We reaped the benefits of this system when we had a great QB and now we will be forced to the other side of the road because the lack of same moving forward.

But for the health and financial success of the NFL, the system seems well designed and appears to work as intended.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It definitely feels like fresh air since the stink left.
I think the FO and a lot of fans are excited with
a clean slate this year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The stink isn't gone.

It is going to linger on this team until old man Carroll finally leaves or gets shown the door.

That will be the smell of old football futilely trying to be competitive in the new NFL.

If anything, it will get worse before it gets better.

Rat

Reaction score
I think you're wrong about us "taking our lumps" this year. I 100% think there's a QB in this draft Pete and John are excited about. I just don't see Pete as a guy who is willing to take a mulligan year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well if JS has a magical QB sensing power, we need it.

Let's hope you are right.

GemCity

Reaction score
I am excited but I also feel like it’s going to wear off rather quickly. Getting moly-whomped week after week has that effect. One thing I am betting on though…Russ is going to light it up (in the most dominant division at that) and there will be a slew of fans that come to the harsh realization that Pete’s model is antiquated.

But, you can’t help but have a good feeling about our newfound draft capital.

I truly don’t know if PC and JS believe we can compete these next few years. With Pete’s age, the first guess is that they’re 100% confident they can do some damage. Then there’s delusional thoughts/methods.

These last few years have me thinking it’s the latter of the two.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think you're wrong about us "taking our lumps" this year. I 100% think there's a QB in this draft Pete and John are excited about. I just don't see Pete as a guy who is willing to take a mulligan year.

Not saying we won't draft a QB, but if we do it'll be if someone like Ridder, Corral or even Pickett fall to us in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Which if we look at the history of the draft, I doubt either Ridder or Corral are there early in the 2nd. Some dumb teams will trade into the 1st round to draft them.

Which IMO is why we resigned Geno, I honestly think Pete's just fine with playing the 2022 season with Lock and Geno. Even Mr. Optimism Pete Carroll knows it'll take a couple years to rebuild this roster into a contender.

Waiting until next year when there's literally 6-7 first round QB prospects is not a bad thing. No need to reach on one of these QB's that has serious holes in their game and has a very low chance of being a franchise QB.

acer1240

Reaction score
The stink isn't gone.

It is going to linger on this team until old man Carroll finally leaves or gets shown the door.

That will be the smell of old football futilely trying to be competitive in the new NFL.

If anything, it will get worse before it gets better.
Yup. Let's throw the man out with the trash...

Are you kidding me? If there is one thing I know, it's that PC is capable of a rebuild. Pete does not need an all world QB to win. He proved that by winning a superbowl with Russ. If one had to go, I'd take Pete.

By the way... Who do you want to replace Pete with? Some young, energetic guy??

Pete has more energy, drive and desire than most players on the field.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It feels like level-setting expectations is more important here.

Pete USED to be able to rebuild teams. I see no evidence this is the case now.

What I see evidence of is Pete wedded to a style of play that the NFL has moved away from, but more importantly, the rules have changed making it less effective, or even viable.

Coupled with his tremendously terrible inability to adapt, or even see something isn't working, there is little evidence to suggest PC is capable of a rebuild. Because he would be rebuilding toward a style of play that no longer works.

Jville

Reaction score
It feels like level-setting expectations is more important here.

Pete USED to be able to rebuild teams. I see no evidence this is the case now.

What I see evidence of is Pete wedded to a style of play that the NFL has moved away from, but more importantly, the rules have changed making it less effective, or even viable.

Coupled with his tremendously terrible inability to adapt, or even see something isn't working, there is little evidence to suggest PC is capable of a rebuild. Because he would be rebuilding toward a style of play that no longer works.

Have you had eye and hearing exams lately?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not sure how that is relevant but yes.

Assuming you missed the 5 years of slowly diminishing competence on Pete's part. That is fine.

Can I assume you also expect Pete to succeed? Somehow successfully rebuild?

If so, what do you expect the chances of success are, what the timeline you are looking at, and how are you defining success?

Just curious Jville. If you expect success, imagine you must have an idea what it looks like and how long you expect before we reach it?

Do you mind sharing?

Jville

Reaction score
Not sure how that is relevant but yes.

Assuming you missed the 5 years of slowly diminishing competence on Pete's part. That is fine.

Can I assume you also expect Pete to succeed? Somehow successfully rebuild?

If so, what do you expect the chances of success are, what the timeline you are looking at, and how are you defining success?

Just curious Jville. If you expect success, imagine you must have an idea what it looks like and how long you expect before we reach it?

Do you mind sharing?

I see each team of each year as distinctly unique in its make up. Roster churn and change is constant. Each team writes its own story as it develops. Every team has been instructive, entertaining and a joy to follow.

I call that success.

Last edited: