Angry DB EXTENDED.

TwilightError

Reaction score
When the season ended, it was fairly obvious only one of the two would stay. I personally am on the record of saying I prefer ADB over GT, but I was sure the FO would feel otherwise. ADB is fierce, he gets better as the going gets tougher. I loved watching Tate but in the end, he is "Showtime" and Baldwin is "Action". Just happy to see the FO was thinking similarly as I was.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I just don't understand the Tate hate here. He was going good player for us. One of the main guys in our magical season.

I guess it's standard dot net bullshit to diminish a players abilities and contributions once he's gone.

Dude balled for us.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1cyhgaar said:
I just don't understand the Tate hate here. He was going good player for us. One of the main guys in our magical season.

I guess it's standard dot net bullshit to diminish a players abilities and contributions once he's gone.

Dude balled for us.

I still love Tate. He is a game breaker no doubt. The worst thing about the CBA is teams like the Hawks getting punished for being incredible in the draft.

It is what is though. I absolutely prefer Doug Baldwin to Tate, but it still sucks we lost him ......

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":5qesihpd said:
It's $11 million in new money and a two year extension. However, that doesn't mean those two numbers should be used together to create any sort of average.

Example: The $11 million can be divided like this -- $6 million bonus paid in 2014; $2.5 million in avg. base salary paid out in 2015-2016. All that money is paid over a three year period.

Cap hits: Year 1: $2M salary + $2 prorated bonus = $4M, Year 2: $2.5M salary + $2M prorated bonus = $4.5M, Year 3: $2.5M salary + $2M prorated bonus = $4.5M.

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 12h
I said Baldwin would get Edelman APY- $4.5....exactly what he got

That's only true if we ignore the fact that Baldwin had a cheap year left. You have to remember that Seattle gave up a year of cheap team control to sign that deal...

Anyway, I want to avoid making too big a deal out of this, I am only speaking for clarity on the issue. Regarding Baldwin, it's a two year extension for a good player. Tate's situation is apples to oranges. I give Doug Baldwin a lot of credit for leveraging his situation into a new contract. Perhaps if Golden had played his cards as well as Baldwin had, he'd still be here too.

kearly

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":lyc9v5ta said:
Dear Value Village Shoppers,

While Doug Baldwin was being the best WR on the team as a rookie to establishing himself as one of the most efficient WRs per target in the NFL last year...

He earned just $1.395m in 3 years.

So, in what will be 6 seasons in the NFL, Doug Baldwin will have accrued an approximate value of $2.4 to a possible 3.5 mil per season.

Dude is totally worth it, get over yourselves.

Seattle is the best team in the NFL because they are the NFL's best value shoppers.

Baldwin was been a bargain for Seattle on his rookie deal just like every good player. So what? Nobody is questioning that Baldwin has been a steal for us in the past, the discussion is about how much value does he carry in the present and future.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":xux3wo5k said:
EverydayImRusselin":xux3wo5k said:
Unfortunately this means Kearse is probably gone after this year. I don't expect him to get much work this year either.
I really like Kearse. Hope he can stay. But I get the feeling that partway through training camp we are going to see a receiver or two spun for picks. Kearse might be one of those.

I hope not. Whatever draft pick we get for Kearse probably won't be any better than the comp pick we might receive for losing him after two more low cost seasons.

I doubt it would happen. Harvin, Baldwin, and Rice all have a history of missing games. And Pete's not exactly keen on ditching good players playing on dirt cheap deals. That plus the new guys are unproven, and Kearse was super-clutch last season.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
NYCoug":3fdo9kji said:
Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 12h
I said Baldwin would get Edelman APY- $4.5....exactly what he got

Gotta love the sheer arrogance there. Ooff, makes me want to barf. Damn twitter and all the people out there who helped make this guy a legend in his own mind...

As far as Dougie Fresh goes... I love this. They absolutely had to value Baldwin over Tate. Baldwin embodies everything Pete and John have built in Seattle. An undrafted guy who plays hungry ALL THE TIME (and doesn't just coast for 2 years like Golden did, admittedly so) who only improves his game when it's all on the line. The thing about paying Doug is, you know that he won't take it easy now that he got paid. Plus, I firmly believe that Doug's best years with the Seahawks are still ahead of him.

Hey, a lot of people weren't 100% thrilled with the Kam contract either when he signed his extension last year. Some people thought the Seahawks overvalued Chancellor and spent a little too much. Some even thought that Kam was the one part of the LoB that could be replaced and that the Seahawks should just focus on keeping Earl and Sherm. Well, we all saw how Kam elevated his game to levels most didn't think possible this past season (especially in the playoffs) and I think Doug will do the same and take his game to a whole new level.

I'm over Golden. I love the dude, but I prefer the WR situation the way it is as opposed to the way it was when the season ended. I believe the team has done a sufficient (even better than that but don't want to sound too homery) job in replacing Tate and that, although we'll miss his style of play personally as fans, his production will not be missed on the field. Should be fun to watch it all unfold together! Whatever, don't sweat it, we're Super Bowl champs y'all! To Doug!

:thirishdrinkers:

Agree with everything you said, brother. Even the part about Davis. When I first followed him, he sure did rub me the wrong way.

Anyways...I'm happy as hell to be wrong about Kam. I made the mistake of not taking his playing on nagging injuries into account. In my defense, though, I did not realize the extent of his injuries. He's a beast for even playing half as well as he did that season.

kearly

Reaction score
ivotuk":1e1lkf3e said:
kearly":1e1lkf3e said:
Seattle supposedly offered Tate $4 million per, and Baldwin gets roughly $5.5 million per year in those two extra seasons when factoring his would-have-been $2 million 2014 salary. Seattle was willing to go $5 million a year on a longer deal.

I don't hate this deal, but why value Baldwin over Tate? If it's because he was more clutch or better in the playoffs, then that's kinda dumb. Tate brought huge value on special teams that will be difficult to replace, and he has more versatility, more overall production, more pure talent, and far more durability than Doug Baldwin.

My theory is that what tilted the scales in Baldwin's favor was his competitive nature at a time when Seattle wants to make competitiveness a focal point in the program more than ever. Losing one of your fiercest competitors would have a team-wide impact.

Golden let his emotions get the best of him during contract negotiations. John started out low, like they always do, and expected some back and forth negotiations.

Instead, Tate (per his conversation on 710) got upset "I'm going to vent here." His agent called with Detroit's offer of $6 million plus and Tate told his agent "Don't bother with anything, just accept it!"

So rather than go back to Seattle with Detroit's offer, Golden accepted the $6 million and signed immediately. I'm confident that John and Pete would have offered in the $5.4 range for Tate which would have been close to Detroit's offer to make him consider it, but he let his anger do his thinking for him.

I remember Golden Tate saying "Why go to a crappy city and a lose a lot of games for a little more money?" I think he's going to regret going to Detroit, they are a perennially mismanaged team with zero cohesiveness. I see them going 6 - 10 this year while watching the Seahawks go for their 2nd SuperB Owl victory.

Thanks for the insights. That quote by Tate is hilarious in retrospect.

I still love Tate for what he did here. I plan on drafting him in fantasy next season, he's going to put up 1000 yards and 10 TDs easily in that pass happy offense.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":2x727qcy said:
Anyway, I want to avoid making too big a deal out of this, I am only speaking for clarity on the issue.

I do agree with the underlying points you started with. (1) Tate is criminally undervalued by some on a pure talent basis. (2) Part of Baldwin's value to Seattle has to be his personality or "make up" (as Pete likes to say). When PC/JS were saying during the draft that they realized they needed to start drafting guys with "tough skin" personalities or else they wouldn't hack it in the lockerroom, Doug Baldwin was the guy I thought of immediately. Also, at Baldwin's presser, Pete basically said they've been using Baldwin's psychological profile as a model to evaluate potential draft picks. I'm sure his general leadership and influence in the lockerroom is valued by them as well.

Latest posts