Are offensive personal dictating defensive alignments ?

Chawker

Reaction score
In todays NFL with 3 WRS, 1TE and 1RB dictating defensive alignments.

How would a team react to,lets say a 1WR, 2TE and 2RB set. Would they react ? Pull out a DB and add a lineman. Possible ?

Most teams run a 2-4-5 set or a 3-4 set seeing how most today passing is short stuff anyways.But we could pass out of a 2 back set. (ground Chuck) plus we could run a off tackle pulling the backside guard, I know Bellford is listed as a LBer, but he is also our fullback. Now we have a guard and a fullback leading the way though the hole, Z bo would score.

I was just wondering with this pass happy league how teams would react to different formations ?

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think the correction may have already happened. Teams have been rushing more and offensive output is down league-wide. Most of the league wants to be multiple defensively in the sense that they can keep hybrid players in for most downs who can rush the passer, defend the run, and close on ball carriers without sacrificing enough in coverage to get diced. You also see on-ball players dropping into coverage more as a manifestation of this concept. This is why players like Jamal Adams, Isaiah Simmons, and others are so valuable in today's league. They're multi-function.

By having more players that are able to fulfill multiple roles, you can keep beef and anchor on the field for most downs to keep a modicum of defensive integrity against heavier rushing attacks like the Ravens, who use a fullback that's a good enough blocker to be a lineman to spring their speedsters free.

keasley45

Reaction score
The most frustrating thing to me about our offense is our seeming refusal to run our heavy te sets. We have a tool set virtually no other team in the league has and we leave it on the bench. It has shown when we run it that it keeps defenses guessing and slows the pass rush because they don't know whether the TEs will be in pass pro, run blocking or receiving. If they sub in a dime, we can run over their DBs. If they stay nickel or base, we can throw on them. It's a smart tool against today's defenses and we refuse to go to it in favor of trying to run out of spread sets, hoping the defenses will be forced to commit to the pass. But to do that, we have to pass effectively at their weakness, which is wr on LB, which we don't really exploit effectively.

So, in this offense, until we scheme to attack a defense's schematic vulnerability, we won't be able to fool them with different sets. It's why the orbit backfield motion works well in the 9ers offense but not ours - the 9ers actually use it to attack a weakness. We mostly use it as window dressing.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
In todays NFL with 3 WRS, 1TE and 1RB dictating defensive alignments.

How would a team react to,lets say a 1WR, 2TE and 2RB set. Would they react ? Pull out a DB and add a lineman. Possible ?

Most teams run a 2-4-5 set or a 3-4 set seeing how most today passing is short stuff anyways.But we could pass out of a 2 back set. (ground Chuck) plus we could run a off tackle pulling the backside guard, I know Bellford is listed as a LBer, but he is also our fullback. Now we have a guard and a fullback leading the way though the hole, Z bo would score.

I was just wondering with this pass happy league how teams would react to different formations ?
IMO this happens all the time. And when it doesn't, you get 'The Catch' (Dallas stayed in a nickel or dime and the 49ers ran the ball on the majority of the plays (Lenvil Elliot's shining momement).