Are you guys really in favor of paying top dollar for Clowne

lukerguy

Reaction score
Heck yes I am okay paying him top dollar. He wasn't the problem. Caused tons of pressure. Add talent around the line around him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1sgwazzl said:
If its for Aaron Donald type money then no. Spending vast amounts of money for DE is never a recipe for success. Spending huge amounts on DL in general has not equaled a lot of success.

That's because most of the teams that do so, also happen to lack a quarterback.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":16grd3eq said:
Natethegreat":16grd3eq said:
If its for Aaron Donald type money then no. Spending vast amounts of money for DE is never a recipe for success. Spending huge amounts on DL in general has not equaled a lot of success.

That's because most of the teams that do so, also happen to lack a quarterback.

Well, Goff, or what they thought at the time. Along with Donald and Gurley.

Having that One Guy is usually not enough. Donald's still thought of at the best in his position, but he's one guy who's always double teamed. Their one star RB has degenerative knee disease. Their franchise QB can't function without those weapons.

We were fortunate, ourselves, in getting our One Guy QB/RB in Pete/ML. I know Russ hasn't missed games, but for every year he plays, this risk only increases, and he's going into his ninth year. We don't have to be overly spendy in getting a developmental. I'd be fine with another Boykin minus the behavioral issues that showed up in his draft report.

xray

Reaction score
He is a free agent and wants a SB appearance as soon as possible . He will look long and hard at other offers which I assume will be mega-money offers . If he and his handlers don't see the Hawks as SB contenders in the immediate future he will go elsewhere . He said recently that it's not just about money. The Hawks will have to show him that they are serious about improving the defense and the line in particular . IMO

getnasty

Reaction score
I like that some people think we might get some kind of deal with JC. He will be one of the highest paid defense players in the league by us or someone else for sure.

TreeRon

Reaction score
If the Hawks signed another edge rusher like Fowler he'd appreciate that the Hawks are making an effort to get better. I think then, if we offered Bobby Wagner type money he'd stay with the Hawks.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
i'm in the camp of those who say "pay the man".

In all my years of watching the Seahawks I have never seen the team have a player who was as dominant as Clowney was in game 1 this year against SF. When healthy he is a top level complete DE. I believe he is happy here and wants to stay here as he has been reported as saying publicly. It's true he not a sack master as some other DEs are but he gets pressures and absorbs double teams while being tough to run against. With help he has the ability to raise his game.

I think the team will do all they can to keep him here, somehow though i don't think it will need to be absolute TOP dollar but a close to top level for his position contract will be needed. He needs help from both the inside and from the other edge to be completely effective.

i suspect the team and Clowney are already having some preliminary contract chats, and his announcement of wanting to stay is part of that.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Teams that have won a SB with a top notch DL:
Denver, NYG, Baltimore, TB, SEA

Teams that have won a SB with an elite QB on a second contract:
NE

One could argue that DL is more important than Russell Wilson to achieve the dream of SB rings.

Build a great DL and SB's will come.

Latest posts