Arizona RB David Johnson was impressive

hawknation2015

Reaction score
David Johnson, RB, Arizona Cardinals

The Cardinals could use a boost at running back, and Johnson provided just that in Week 2. He totaled 63 yards on 12 carries, forced nine missed tackles, and finished at +3.1 overall.

He reminds me a little of Christine Michael, except better vision in reading his blockers, more physical running after contact, and a nasty stiff arm.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SlowSplendidGartersnake.gif

SecondInfantileAmoeba.gif

CharmingClassicHorseshoebat.gif

ColorlessCircularLadybird

LightheartedDenseIriomotecat.gif

ScaredHorribleAmericanquarterhorse.gif

^^^This is the right time to kick a run outside when there is no hole present though the B gap.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo wouldn't shut up about this guy during draft season. I think he made a pretty good call there.

I see a lot of Matt Forte in David Johnson. Great receiver who's also tough between the tackles. Great pick for the Cardinals, should be interesting to see how he impacts a run game that was awful last season.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":3pd5qxki said:
Scottemojo wouldn't shut up about this guy during draft season. I think he made a pretty good call there.

I see a lot of Matt Forte in David Johnson. Great receiver who's also tough between the tackles. Great pick for the Cardinals, should be interesting to see how he impacts a run game that was awful last season.

Good call by Scotte. I'm not liking the thought of Johnson running behind Jared Valedeer . . . and eventually Mike Iupati.

ringless

Reaction score
PFF tweeted that he had the most broken tackles ever in a preseason game by a rookie. 9 broken tackles on 12 plays.

Thank you guys for the smile, I will have to see if I can find some of his posts on Johnson. Is there a way I can find the threads easily? I know he is really well respected on here.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ringless":c1n5w8wb said:
PFF tweeted that he had the most broken tackles ever in a preseason game by a rookie. 9 broken tackles on 12 plays.

Thank you guys for the smile, I will have to see if I can find some of his posts on Johnson. Is there a way I can find the threads easily? I know he is really well respected on here.

You can read those posts in the draft forum, which is pretty slow right now:
http://seahawks.net/search.php?keywords ... mit=Search

TeamoftheCentury":c1n5w8wb said:
David Johnson would have pretty much been a luxury pick. But, I absolutely HATE that the Cardinals got him... just like I hated to see the Cardinals get John Brown last year. Now I gotta hope he isn't the player I think he could be.

hawknation2015":c1n5w8wb said:
David Johnson can really scoot for a RB of his size. He kind of runs like Marcus Allen.

He's one of those guys I would prefer to Ajayi because of his superior vision, acceleration, and cutting ability.

[youtube]pjRwXHZ6LtQ[/youtube]

brimsalabim":c1n5w8wb said:
That David Johnson video linked above was an eye opener. He shows a little bit of everything including kick returns.

bbsplitter":c1n5w8wb said:
In a deep RB class, I think Mike Davis is a 5th Round pick. He is by far the best blocker in this RB class. He is also the most physical runner in this class, IMO. And he has good hands when catching passes out of the backfield. Basically, the perfect Turbin replacement. I would start him at fullback and use him as a 3rd down back for blocking purposes.

My draft crush in this crowded RB field is David Johnson (aka Marcus Allen 2.0). But that would likely mean the end of the Christine Michael experiment.

I do like David Johnson, my biggest knock on him is that he is a VERY upright runner. Like sometimes I wonder if his knees are locked haha. I don't really know who my favorite RB in this draft is. I like Josh Robinson, runs low with power and good lateral movement, and well above average pass blocking skills. He is slow though. Molasses slow sometimes.

True but there have been quite a few successful "upright" runners: Adrian Petersen, DeMarco Murray, Eddie George, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Marcus Allen, etc.

TeamoftheCentury":c1n5w8wb said:
UK_Seahawk":c1n5w8wb said:
David Johnson - swiss army offensive knife.
Yes he is.

CamanoIslandJQ":c1n5w8wb said:
RB-David Johnson = Adrian Peterson 2.0?

RB-David Johnson, No. Iowa; 6-1, 224, 4.50/40, 1.58 10-yd split. See "similar players". http://mockdraftable.com/player/4843/

The RB comparison graph says a lot. Add the fact that Johnson is a kick returner and rushed for over 4000 yards in his career plus he's acknowledged as a really great receiver and fair blocker = He MAY end up being drafted by the Seahawks with their round 3 pick even if the Beast returns. Possibly a WR conversion and/or Swiss army knife kind of guy. His combine numbers tick a lot of boxes......

He is quickly becoming one of my favorite backs in this class. I love the way this guy runs the ball.

He's 10-lbs heavier than Gordon, but look at his measurables:
Johnson's 40: 4.50
Gordon's 40: 4.52

Johnson's 10-yard split: 1.58 (tied for best of the combine with Mike Davis)
Gordon's 10-yard split: 1.63

Johnson's vertical: 41.5 (2nd best behind Abdullah)
Gordon's vertical: 35.0

Johnson's broad jump: 127 (2nd best behind Abdullah)
Gordon's broad jump: 126

Johnson's 3-cone: 6.82 (2nd best behind Abdullah)
Gordon's 3-cone: 7.04

On that note, Ameer Abdullah put up Christine Michael-like combine numbers.

TeamoftheCentury was the first poster to mention David Johnson.

ringless

Reaction score
I really appreciate the quotes!

I also didn't know he was a WR through high school. And in all 4 years in college had 30+ receptions being the only RB to do so which is one of the reason I am sure our FO was really attracted to the pick. The more I read the more I like. I never got overly excited about the pick until watching him play because we have had a lack of talent at the position. Or if we had talent haven't been able to provide the ability for them to succeed through a good O-line or scheme.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how he matches up against Seattle's D. He seems like the kind of RB profile that Seattle does well against, but he might be a problem on screens. Obviously, it would really suck if he had the Seahawks number.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
hawknation2015":qaak03kd said:
ringless":qaak03kd said:

You can read those posts in the draft forum, which is pretty slow right now:
http://seahawks.net/search.php?keywords ... mit=Search

TeamoftheCentury":qaak03kd said:
David Johnson would have pretty much been a luxury pick. But, I absolutely HATE that the Cardinals got him... just like I hated to see the Cardinals get John Brown last year. Now I gotta hope he isn't the player I think he could be.

David Johnson can really scoot for a RB of his size. He kind of runs like Marcus Allen.

He's one of those guys I would prefer to Ajayi because of his superior vision, acceleration, and cutting ability.

[youtube]pjRwXHZ6LtQ[/youtube]

brimsalabim":qaak03kd said:
That David Johnson video linked above was an eye opener. He shows a little bit of everything including kick returns.

bbsplitter":qaak03kd said:
In a deep RB class, I think Mike Davis is a 5th Round pick. He is by far the best blocker in this RB class. He is also the most physical runner in this class, IMO. And he has good hands when catching passes out of the backfield. Basically, the perfect Turbin replacement. I would start him at fullback and use him as a 3rd down back for blocking purposes.

My draft crush in this crowded RB field is David Johnson (aka Marcus Allen 2.0). But that would likely mean the end of the Christine Michael experiment.

I do like David Johnson, my biggest knock on him is that he is a VERY upright runner. Like sometimes I wonder if his knees are locked haha. I don't really know who my favorite RB in this draft is. I like Josh Robinson, runs low with power and good lateral movement, and well above average pass blocking skills. He is slow though. Molasses slow sometimes.

True but there have been quite a few successful "upright" runners: Adrian Petersen, DeMarco Murray, Eddie George, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Marcus Allen, etc.

TeamoftheCentury":qaak03kd said:
UK_Seahawk":qaak03kd said:
David Johnson - swiss army offensive knife.
Yes he is.

CamanoIslandJQ":qaak03kd said:
RB-David Johnson = Adrian Peterson 2.0?

RB-David Johnson, No. Iowa; 6-1, 224, 4.50/40, 1.58 10-yd split. See "similar players". http://mockdraftable.com/player/4843/

The RB comparison graph says a lot. Add the fact that Johnson is a kick returner and rushed for over 4000 yards in his career plus he's acknowledged as a really great receiver and fair blocker = He MAY end up being drafted by the Seahawks with their round 3 pick even if the Beast returns. Possibly a WR conversion and/or Swiss army knife kind of guy. His combine numbers tick a lot of boxes......

He is quickly becoming one of my favorite backs in this class. I love the way this guy runs the ball.

He's 10-lbs heavier than Gordon, but look at his measurables:
Johnson's 40: 4.50
Gordon's 40: 4.52

Johnson's 10-yard split: 1.58 (tied for best of the combine with Mike Davis)
Gordon's 10-yard split: 1.63

Johnson's vertical: 41.5 (2nd best behind Abdullah)
Gordon's vertical: 35.0

Johnson's broad jump: 127 (2nd best behind Abdullah)
Gordon's broad jump: 126

Johnson's 3-cone: 6.82 (2nd best behind Abdullah)
Gordon's 3-cone: 7.04

On that note, Ameer Abdullah put up Christine Michael-like combine numbers.

TeamoftheCentury was the first poster to mention David Johnson.
Thanks for the props, man. Very kind of you.