Art Thiel ask if its Time to trade Russell

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":382sgrtv said:
They are a 5 win team w/out him.
I do enjoy a good podcast though. :2thumbs:

that pretty much cuts through the BS.

If you're a Russell detractor or critic, that's fine. But until we have a better replacement at the most vital position on the team, then all your points are moot.............and it's why we're going to continue to pay Russell through his next contract.

because the alternative isn't tolerable.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A top notch QB is very hard to find. So many teams have swung and missed on a franchise level talent. Hawks got their guy in the 3rd rd. I know it sounds strange, but I get more nervous in Round 1 and 2 with these guys than I do from rounds 3 thru 7. They clearly do their best work after the 1st round, and often between 3rd and 5th.

mrt144

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3c87rqhq said:
A top notch QB is very hard to find. So many teams have swung and missed on a franchise level talent. Hawks got their guy in the 3rd rd.

I pointed this out about a week ago but here are 3rd round or later QBs drafted since RW in 2012 (not including other 3rd round or later QBs from 2012)

Garrett Grayson
Sean Mannion
Bryce Petty
Brett Hundley
Jacoby Brissett
Cody Kessler
Connor Cook
Dak Prescott
Cardale Jones
Kevin Hogan
Nate Sudfeld
Jake Rudock
Brandon Allen
Jeff Driskel
Brandon Doughty
Davis Webb
C.J. Beathard
Joshua Dobbs
Nathan Peterman
Brad Kaaya

Seems like slim pickins.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3e8g1a6x said:
:34853_doh:

Ok, we get it. Russ is an average QB who has nothing to do with the success of the Team. And I guess any average QB could have taken them to 2 Super Bowl's. Is that better? I would think the best QB in team history would get a little more respect from the "fans"
But, clearly he will NEVER live up to what people expect from him. How could a guy who has been nothing but a class guy, a total leader and been incredibly successful be so hated? It makes zero sense. But have at it.
Go Hawks
You need to level out, man. No one hates the guy and this has nothing to do with expectations or anything else.

hawk45

Reaction score
Definitely seems like russ doesn't start games well. But most times that takes the form of not moving the offense early. It doesn't take the form of turning it over (usually).
Awful coincidental that protecting the ball early, and trying to win it in the fourth sounds just like what Pete wants.
So I suspect that when we have a run game and can run the ball and take deep shots like Pete likes, Wilson will go back to looking like the best fit for Pete's offense.
As variable as Wilson's play has been at times, I do not see the same fit here with the other FA QBs available even if they tend to be steadier throughout a game. Most QBs can't hit on those deep shots at a moments notice as Wilson can.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1b1hyexc said:
IndyHawk":1b1hyexc said:
vin.couve12":1b1hyexc said:
Many know that I've been more critical of RW than almost anyone here, but in the current climate even with a backup QB winning the SB, you keep RW because his contract is and will continue to be ever more outdated.

RW is a very, very good QB/Point Guard. I don't think he should be payed at the top of the list even if some other lesser guys are making more, but an outdated contract fits. Let him play it out and if you see a diamond in the rough of a QB then draft him mid to late round and if he sits for a couple years then so be it. If RW can improve further as a pocket aware passer then maybe you pay and stay and so be it. The outcome should be all business and no message board sentiment will matter, including my own.

BYAH!
Fine with the playing contract out but looking at it with more vision..
His trade value will never be higher before that contract ends because
the closer you get the less you will get.
Maybe he doesn't get any better or improve squat so keep paying?
As above stated did we win the SB with an elite QB?
I feel like I'm still waiting to see that.
You SEEN it in the second half of 2015, you've just chosen to ignore it.
He'd proved THEN, that he can be elite when he gets SOME HELP from his O-Line, EVEN WITHOUT having the likes of Marshawn Lynch to help keep Defenses on their heels.
Oh and, it was the DEFENSE that gave up all those points put up by Cam Newton in the playoffs, and it was Russell Wilson that scored the Seahawks back within reach of winning that game in the second half.
NO Quarterback is going to do it all by himself, not even LORD Brady.
Easy big guy..
I saw a half a season that doesn't make a career..
That Carolina game in 2nd half?What happened in the first?Off the top of my head I see a pick 6
and/or a RW fumble that led to another score by the Panthers.
That 2nd half only makes that comeback stuff in above posts look more valid..
The Carolina game(playoff loss) is not a good example to me.
Of course he cannot do it all which is obvious but fanboys want it where
there is an excuse for him and want to pay him whatever 30 plus million?
No vision of winning anything or what it really takes to do it..
Just plow 15% of the cap into a QB that will likely be in decline when he losses speed/leg injury
That scares me..I'm not just content to see an average football team
with a Matthew Stafford @the helm with no playoffs..
I've already been there so I'm sorry for being greedy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bottom line for me on this topic is there's no way Pete and John trust the future of their jobs and trying to turn this roster over without Russell.

If they turn the roster over without Russell, then it's 2-3 years, and probably longer of 4-12 records until another QB is found.

No way that's happening.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Some roster turn over is going to happen whether they like it or not. They're NFL personnel, not gods, and therefore you have to plan ahead and start to groom a potential replacement for two years out. I the mean time, continue to retool your overall roster and get back to what made you dominant in the first place. If we end up re-uping RW for good reason when the time comes then we do.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
There are a lot of bottom line statements in this thread, but the real bottom line is that this subject is about the Seattle Seahawks, not Russell Wilson.

mrt144

Reaction score
vin.couve12":w72rqvuv said:
There are a lot of bottom line statements in this thread, but the real bottom line is that this subject is about the Seattle Seahawks, not Russell Wilson.

Are you sure about that?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I would love to see a GM with stones elect to trade a top tier QB for a high draft pick with hopes they can develop a new QB on a much smaller salary. I just don't think such a GM exists. You whiff on a move like that and you lose your job.

If the Browns called and offered the #4 and some other fun bells and whistles for Russ with Sam Darnold on the board though, that would be crazy tempting. I HIGHLY doubt it would ever happen. But it would be tempting.

HawkGA

Reaction score
This is what is wrong with the media and the internet. A writer attempts to troll a topic and you guys reward him with 3 pages of posts discussing it so far.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawk45":2c4bgyca said:
Definitely seems like russ doesn't start games well. But most times that takes the form of not moving the offense early. It doesn't take the form of turning it over (usually).
Awful coincidental that protecting the ball early, and trying to win it in the fourth sounds just like what Pete wants.
So I suspect that when we have a run game and can run the ball and take deep shots like Pete likes, Wilson will go back to looking like the best fit for Pete's offense.
As variable as Wilson's play has been at times, I do not see the same fit here with the other FA QBs available even if they tend to be steadier throughout a game. Most QBs can't hit on those deep shots at a moments notice as Wilson can.

I've been hitting that point most of last season. Pete drills in the "protect the football", "it's not how you start it's how you finish", "you cannot win in the 1st quarter....."..... and a few people want to put ALL the slow starts on Wilson alone, ridiculous. He is doing exactly what Pete preaches and what he was taught and is a product of his environment as much as anything else IMO (when you include crap protection = poor habits his entire career and now no run game).

Be careful what you ask for Pete. :141847_bnono:

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":23sw4g9j said:
I would love to see a GM with stones elect to trade a top tier QB for a high draft pick with hopes they can develop a new QB on a much smaller salary. I just don't think such a GM exists. You whiff on a move like that and you lose your job.

If the Browns called and offered the #4 and some other fun bells and whistles for Russ with Sam Darnold on the board though, that would be crazy tempting. I HIGHLY doubt it would ever happen. But it would be tempting.

What are the success rates with even first round QBs? I'm thinking well under 50%. That's not stones. That's stupid. About the only time something like that makes sense is Montana with Young in the wings. Even then you don't know if Young has what it takes, but you do know Montana is at the end of the road. Can't remember if Favre was traded out of GB or how that went down, but that would be another case of it potentially working.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3hrvyhzn said:
They are a 5 win team w/out him.
I do enjoy a good podcast though. :2thumbs:

How do you know this though? How do you know this isn't a 12-4 team with a Sam Darnold and the same roster make up they had before Russ' big contract (elite running game and defense).

This is same train of thought that has this roster in the mess it is right now. That notion that "OMG our defense isn't the same without Earl/Sherm/Kam .. we should lock them up!"

I completely agree this team is terrible with Austin Davis in there and not Russell Wilson.. but don't think that's the case with a solid rookie and improvement everywhere else on the roster with the money that would be freed up.

Again - I don't think Russ would ever be moved. But I don't agree with the assessment that this franchise immediately becomes the Browns without him.

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkGA":anwstalz said:
This is what is wrong with the media and the internet. A writer attempts to troll a topic and you guys reward him with 3 pages of posts discussing it so far.

Heaven's to betsy, when will we ever free ourselves from the desire to be social animals.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's just an opinion, like every other opinion on a message board. They would be a 5, maybe 6 win team w/out him back there. Hopefully we don't have to find out any time soon :D
Have a great weekend. Go Hawks!

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkGA":1y7ksih9 said:

LOL...so says the guy with 105,000 posts. :D

Latest posts