Article: MNF worst show on TV

orca

Reaction score
I've stopped watching MNF this season because of the horrible announcers, both are just plain awful. Seahawk's MNF I watch with the sound waaaay down, for other MNF I'll stick with the short summaries which are audibly painful enough to endure (NFL Gamepass).

Especially Tessitore gives me ear cancer...

Threedee

Reaction score
The mere existence of TNF is already a refutation of the article.

Then throw in every daytime TV show to have ever aired...

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
MNF has sucked since it left ABC. Al Michaels was the last worthwhile MNF commentator. ESPN has done nothing but get progressively worse since it took over. :34853_doh:

The entire "prime time" NFL product sucks. These days even Fox, unless we get the "A" or "B" team of announcers is barely watchable. Give us the "C-F" announcing team, like small markets usually get, and you get a badly officiated, horribly announced game.

The whole thing is these days a pale shadow of what I grew up with.

Oh I miss the days of this guy (I used to LIVE for NFL films shows as a kid, sucks this about the Raiders, but it's Epic):

[youtube]VPLmxtiVOe0[/youtube]

Hey, remember this?

[youtube]BarustRkAdw[/youtube]

Edit to throw this one in:

[youtube]diEduEmXeCI[/youtube]

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
We listened to Bills@DAL on the way up to Thanksgiving dinner #1, and to Saints/Falcons on way to TG dinner #2. Both were Westwood One announcers.

The color guy elaborated on moves we obviously couldn't see on TV--but he didn't go overboard. Stats were given, interesting facts about players in college, how they've done in NFL etc. Whereas Booger goes on and on ON TV just saying renditions of "great play" while acting like he or ESPN hasn't bothered to do any background homework.

Booger wouldn't last a day in radio, and he shouldn't be on TV.

chris98251

Reaction score
NFL Films and the Sabels were great, sadly both I believe have passed on and I am not sure who is doing stuff now.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
chris98251":3qeo9mat said:
NFL Films and the Sabels were great, sadly both I believe have passed on and I am not sure who is doing stuff now.

Until I watched that video on the 84 team I forgot about that BRUTAL 3-4 that Knox used to run. I wish we'd do that again, I like the 3-4 scheme.

Jesus, let's not forget Easley, damn guy was a one man wrecking crew and had good hands!

chris98251

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":91rakc6o said:
chris98251":91rakc6o said:

Until I watched that video on the 84 team I forgot about that BRUTAL 3-4 that Knox used to run. I wish we'd do that again, I like the 3-4 scheme.

Jesus, let's not forget Easley, damn guy was a one man wrecking crew and had good hands!

Nobody that was around at that time will forget Easley.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
chris98251":2usek5wv said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":2usek5wv said:
chris98251":2usek5wv said:

Easley was incredible and his career got cut short. Another guy who's career got cut way short was Curt Warner. He was really, really, really good. I can only imagine what the team would have looked like had he not blown his knee out. His personal trajectory was very steep had he stayed healthy

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2y4zv6cy said:
chris98251":2y4zv6cy said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":2y4zv6cy said:
chris98251":2y4zv6cy said:

Easley was incredible and his career got cut short. Another guy who's career got cut way short was Curt Warner. He was really, really, really good. I can only imagine what the team would have looked like had he not blown his knee out. His personal trajectory was very steep had he stayed healthy
Agree on both players. Was fortunate enough to see both live in their primes a couple times.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
NINEster":3gwjkjvx said:
I hate Booger with a passion. Just sucks all around and is a Niner/Jimmy hater.

Tessitore I'm ok with. Maybe it's the loud reactions to a few big Niner TDs on MNF, and a certain pick 6 against the Bears last season....

Tessitore just won't stop telling everyone that the game they're watching is the absolute best thing they've ever seen. He's annoying.

Then you have the ref analysis guy in the booth that just automatically agrees with every call and tells you how great the refs are.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2e5vp5x8 said:
..........Then you have the ref analysis guy in the booth that just automatically agrees with every call and tells you how great the refs are.
Dude's even more annoying the Tess and Boog and that's saying something.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Worst show on TV is extremely hyperbolic. At the end of the day, there's still a football game being shown. My wife watches the Hallmark Channel. Have any of you watched that? It's absolute shit.

If we're just talking sports, any soccer game is worse.

If we're just talking about football, any game with Gus Johnson is worse. He sounds fine if you just catch the big time highlight. The problem is he gets that hyped up for every play and if the play ends up as an incomplete pass, he sounds foolish.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
One quote they didn't list was when one of them said "In both of Baltimore's losses, they were outscored."

If you're getting paid to comment on football, you should at least try to sound like you know more than the average fan.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2yzx66fw said:
Worst show on TV is extremely hyperbolic. At the end of the day, there's still a football game being shown. My wife watches the Hallmark Channel. Have any of you watched that? It's absolute $h!t.

If we're just talking sports, any soccer game is worse.
-snip-

Sorry you missed the brilliance of the Seattle Sounders MLS Cup Championship season, their barn-burner divisional round 4-3 win over FC Dallas, their underdog demolition of anointed Gods LAFC on the road in the conference championship to get to the finals, and their stirring 3-1 win in the championship game. Seattle is fortunate to have the amazing Brian Schmetzer as our coach; his teams make late-season runs, parallel to how Pete Carroll Seahawks teams get hot in November. The Sounders local broadcast team, the Q13 Fox crew, including longtime US National Team goalkeeper Kasey Keller, and the enthusiastic and inspiring Steve Zakuani, is actually pretty fun broadcast and postgame to watch.

I understand that a lot of "pointy football" fans don't "get" soccer, but once you get to know it, it's a great fan experience as well, both live and on TV. I wasn't much of a soccer fan until my mid 20's when I started coaching my three kids, and thus having to learn the game. I actually could've been a really good soccer player if my lack of skill and lack of fitness didn't hold me back. :p However, my two daughters went on to become amazing players, 4A 1st team all-state, both college all-conference, mostly because I turned them over to pro coaches at ages 9 and 12. My son lights up the Mexican leagues in Las Vegas, as the "Token Gringo" on whichever team he plays for, and is a joy to watch.

If you're comparing soccer on TV to sappy Hallmark Channel movies, well, that's sad you feel that way. The MLS product, the league the Sounders are in, is actually pretty entertaining and the quality of the game has gotten pretty good over the last decade. In the USA, I think the best overall soccer fan experience is MLS. Don't know if you're based in Seattle; if yes, then take the Sounders for a spin, take in a couple games in person, if not, check out your local MLS team (even if it's, horrors, *Portland*) and give them a chance. The Seattle-Portland MLS soccer rivalry is very much on par with the Seahawks-49ers rivalry in its intensity, mutual disdain, and mutual grudging respect. A Sounders game is the cheapest way by far to get into CenturyLink in person and see an exciting football game. I like to get seats in the Hawks Nest area. Usually cheap and I enjoy the view from there.

If you've given soccer a legit chance and still feel that way, certainly your right. If you've not given it a legit shot, it's worth it, especially if you're based in the Seattle area. Remember, the Sounders are a Paul Allen team, and Paul Allen only did awesome stuff when it came to pro sports. https://www.soundersfc.com/team/staff/paul-allen Even the Portland people loved Paul Allen as the Jail Blazers owner. https://www.opb.org/news/article/paul-a ... ownership/

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't comparing soccer to the Hallmark Channel. They're incomparable. The acting is much, much better on the Hallmark Channel.