Article: ....... The 2014 Seahawks' offense looks different

Jville

Reaction score
With pictures, charts, graphs, inferences, and links for your enjoyment >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-analysis/2014/10/3/6901035/seahawks-russell-wilson-darrell-bevell-offense-pete-carroll[/urltargetblank]

Laloosh

Reaction score
It's like Zach Whitman read my question to Kearly in another thread and decided to answer it with pretty graphs and analysis.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Who knows ...... maybe Whitman looks in from time to time.
He addresses a pet peeve of mine in the following quote:
As an aside, this conversation provides a pretty interesting context for quarterback evaluation. Although Seattle's Pass Offense DVOA has actually increased from last season (35.9% from 27.4%), Wilson's PFF grades and QBR have gone downhill. Neither of these systems credit the QB with YAC accrual, and his statistical profile doesn't suggest decline in any category beyond YPA and %YAC. It seems likely that his increasingly mediocre PFF/QBR results are directly related to these changes.

Metrics measure exactly what we tell them to measure. YPA (yards per attempt) goes down, completion percentage goes up, QBR goes down, passer rating goes up. Passer rating isn't a perfect stat (probably overvalues completions), but neither is QBR (probably undervalues effect of QB on YAC).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We all were wondering what having a healthy Percy Harvin would do to our offense, this article explains it.

Much more high percentage completion rate short passes, screens and quick outs. Which is why Russell's completion percentage is up, but his yards per attempt is way down.

I would like to see more downfield passing, but after three games it looks like Pete and Darrell are content with this low risk play action and motion off of Percy structure scheme.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
The mention of Bryan Walters as a direct replacement for William Percival Harvin III when taking a blow on the sideline should benefit anyone welcoming an expanded clarity as to Walters' role in the offense.

chawx

Reaction score
I think extending drives and efficiency on 3rd down throughout the game will allow us to try those deep throws more often. It feels like we've been playing with the ball so little these first 3 games (yes, SD was a big part of that), that we can't get into a healthy rhythm on Offense. Which, in turn, makes Russell numbers even that much more impressive considering 33% of our season we hardly had the ball at all...

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The graph will change when Paul Richardson gets on the same page as Wilson.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Thunderbird":2tlyqjkt said:
Can we play a few more games before we start talking about this?

Before we start talking about how the offense has changed? Why?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27e3q1dm said:
We all were wondering what having a healthy Percy Harvin would do to our offense, this article explains it.

Much more high percentage completion rate short passes, screens and quick outs. Which is why Russell's completion percentage is up, but his yards per attempt is way down.

I would like to see more downfield passing, but after three games it looks like Pete and Darrell are content with this low risk play action and motion off of Percy structure scheme.

Exactly. It's no coincidence that over 80% of Harvin's passes in Minnesota were within 10 yards of the LOS. It's what he's good at, it's what makes him effective, and it makes the offense more effective and harder to stop.

Add to that his versatility of going into the backfield, and motion, then add throwing to him out of those sets and it all comes together.

I'd still like to see some shots down the field, but I think that's coming. I think Pete and Bevell are seeing the defenses start to suck up to the los, then we're going to beat them over the top....similar to 2012 when we ran the read option and were very run heavy, and defenses cheated up to stop it. We have better vertical threats this year than we did in 2012 (Harvin, Richardson, Kearse) so it makes sense that we'll see it. That, and Pete's penchant for big plays on offense.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":13gcm9b8 said:

And all I can think is Pete challenged Wilson to hit 70% completion rate. Pete already expected the opponents to change up their defenses.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I think most of this is the Harvin effect and Bevell experimenting with the best way to use him. But I also believe that we'll see more downfield passing as the season goes on. All teams self-scout and when the coaching staff sees that hasn't happened much so far, it will begin to more often. Plus, as defenses begin to cheat forward to try to stop Percy, it will open things up downfield. Also, as the o-line gets better at pass pro (think game shape Okung and a more experienced Britt) RW will have more time to allow those routes to develop.

This may even be a planned approach to the early season offense for the reasons I mentioned plus as a way to set up the division opponents to be more vulnerable to the deep ball as we hit the late season stretch against them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1j5q3seu said:
Sgt. Largent":1j5q3seu said:

And all I can think is Pete challenged Wilson to hit 70% completion rate. Pete already expected the opponents to change up their defenses.

It's not hard to complete 70% of your passes when 80% of them are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

We may have fooled the Broncos in the SB, and the Packers the first game of the season with our Harvin package of plays, but now that teams have seen 3-4 games of game tape on our offensive schemes, we can't continue to do the same stuff.

themunn

Reaction score
we've seen three games so far, against arguably the three best offenses in the league.
it's far too early to be making any judgements of gameplan on EITHER side of the ball, perhaps the plan was to run lots of short passes against those offenses in order to limit turnover potential, because those guys have the firepower to make any turnover in seattle territory dangerous (and given 3 of the 6 TDs we've conceded this year have come off of shortened fields, I can say that is a reasonable assumption).