Austin Davis lookin good

Marvin49

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":toinjvgf said:
Stanton hasnt looked too shabby either. Even with the Whiners cheap head shots.

Sigh.

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN · 35m
#49ers OLB Dan Skuta was not fined for hit on Cardinals QB Drew Stanton, he confirmed.

As for the question at hand, that stat to me is one of the most telling stats a QB has. That's pretty impressive for a player that young.

I must confess I haven't watched any Rams games this year, but that number would tell me he's doing something right.

Rambitious

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":qva6m46w said:
RedAlice":qva6m46w said:
nanomoz":qva6m46w said:
kearly":qva6m46w said:
Rob deserves a ton of credit for spotting Davis' talent before just about anyone else did. That whole draft, it felt like SeahawksDraftBlog was the only place on the internet that was talking the guy up.

I liked Davis a lot too and wanted him for the Hawks, but I wouldn't have even heard of him if not for Rob.

Bump. Good call. Rob is a sage.

I think Davis will last in this league for a lot of years, he's Brad Johnson-esque, but a much more fluid athlete (albeit shorter).

Dude has some talent. Fisher better let him play.
He's okay not top tier in any sense but decent. Bad news is Fischer is quoted as saying today that as soon as Hill is back the job is his. Fischer hates rookies and it will cost him and the Rams in my opinion.

But Austin Davis is not a rookie.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":36h7zzym said:
MizzouHawkGal":36h7zzym said:
RolandDeschain":36h7zzym said:
*Fisher, Mizzou.
Whatever. :roll:

I thought he spelled his name differently. I was probably thinking of that old Michigan basketball coach.

Don't let Rolland bully you, no sandwiches on Sunday now :)
Roland only dreams of bullying me I do mispell words and use poor grammar to keep him busy though
..is that bad?

chris98251

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3ubgygyr said:
chris98251":3ubgygyr said:
MizzouHawkGal":3ubgygyr said:
RolandDeschain":3ubgygyr said:
*Fisher, Mizzou.
Whatever. :roll:

I thought he spelled his name differently. I was probably thinking of that old Michigan basketball coach.

Don't let Rolland bully you, no sandwiches on Sunday now :)
Roland only dreams of bullying me I do mispell words and use poor grammar to keep him busy though
..is that bad?

It keeps his hands occupied............

ivotuk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1nlge12m said:
RedAlice":1nlge12m said:
Popeyejones":1nlge12m said:
kearly":1nlge12m said:
Stanton had a solid second half at home against an ailing 49ers D, but on the whole he's been pretty terrible. His completion rate is more than 20% lower than Austin Davis'. That's ridiculous. Stanton's YPA is pretty bad too.

I am amazed the Cardinals are winning games while being so depleted.

Agreed.

And yet: they ARE.

Pop: your opinion? Is it coaching? or?

Three major things IMO, none of which are coaching and all of which just come down to luck/chance:

1) Through 12 quarters played so far the Cardinals have led through 4 of them. They've been leading at the right time across three games, but that's unsustainable.

2) They've been lucky in facing opponents who are atypically bad at exposing their weaknesses as a team. By way of example, Stanton is a hot mess under pressure. He's terrifyingly bad. He's lucky to have one of his two starts come against a 9ers team that has been as bad as can be at generating pressure so far this season, as well as a Giants team that was sixth worse in the league at generating pressure last year, and only in the middle of the pack this year because they got to play the Cardinals (they're averaging 1.5 sacks per game in their other two games, which over the course of an average season would make them last in the league).

3) They've also been pretty lucky with regards to their opponents making unforced errors, which is not a sustainable way to win, and which you can't give the Cards any credit for:

*In Week 1 the Chargers were about to go up in the 4th quarter until an errant snap from a backup center pushed them out of field goal range.

*In Week 2 Rashad Jennings was completely untouched and gave up a fumble in the red zone in the 4th quarter, and Victor Cruz had three driving killing wide-open drops on chunk plays in the second half.

*In Week 3 the 9ers are clearly a mess right now, and also penalized themselves into oblivion and gave the game away (this game is also kind of an outlier because the Cardinals were just losing for the majority of it, rather than almost all of it).

Basically, I don't think they're nearly as good as their record, or nearly as good as they were last year.
Until I see them be able to at least somewhat consistently 1) run between the tackles, 2) have a passing attack that doesn't fold like a chair under pressure and/or 3) be able to generate any pressure in the pass rush even while relying on elaborate blitz schemes which expose their coverage units, I'm just not going to believe in them.

Long story short, I think the path to the division is wide and clear right now, regardless of the Cardinals' record.

I've been hearing tv talking heads talking "Arians coach of the year" The Chargers gave that game away, it was pitiful. I haven't watched the other games but what I've seen reminds me of them beating the Seahawks last year in Seattle. Turn the ball over, turn the ball over, completion, completion, phenomenal TD. Somebody in AZ has sold their soul to the devil, but I think it's about to come due.

ringless

Reaction score
I'm one of the Cardinals fans who is I think a little more reasonable in my optimism.. I do agree, we have had some very lucky bounces and timely penalties. I will naturally counter some points, but still admit our weaknesses...

During the San Diego game, yes there was a botched snap... But SD got set up for 7 points because Buccanon, our rookie in his first game was so excited to be on the field that instead of blocking on the punt he admittedly started running down the field to tackle leading to a blocked punt... I think it's fair to say those two mishaps are even...

During the Giants game, the Giants only played one good quarter, and that was was the third... We dominated the first half, made a mistake at the end of the half again getting a punt blocked for the same reason as the week before leading to there only points of the half..... They never should've been in it...

San Fransisco, we gave them the underneath routes, we played disciplined football... Players stayed in their gaps, the leading running back had 13yds, and their starter Gore had 10...

A sign of a good team, is one that capitalizes on mistakes, and we do that... The Seahawks last year always seemed to get the lucky breaks, the bounces in their favor.. I think they took advantage as we have..

One thing I just want to stress is our team stays disciplined. Rarely are assignments blown or mental mistakes made. We have the best offensive line we have had in over 10 years, as well as some explosive players on offense... We are just missing a QB, which can't be understated.

HOWEVER
I see our weaknesses, and I think they are about to catch up with us.... Our Defense has done a great job considering how depleted they are... The issue is is that we have no pass rush, even when we blitz, we still can't get to the QB. We blitz on 56% of downs, which is about 15-20% to high for my liking. Our team will get burned, and these weaknesses will be exploited against Denver.

We have Ellington who is a shifty back, who finds ways to get yards... But when he gets hit, he doesnt fall forward because of his size. He gets stood up, and/or pushed back. We dont have a back on our roster that can push the pile.. Ellington does have big play capability though.

Qb's, yes we have probably a top 3 backup qb in Drew Stanton, but Palmer is not that much better. Palmer, throws at least 2 passes a game that just leave me wondering what he thinks he saw... They often lead to interceptions....

I just don't think we have the horses this year, we would had we not lost so many players to suspensions and injury... We would be the 2nd best team in the division. I think we have a real shot at a wildcard spot, but we are not a superbowl team, and thats what we play for

RedAlice

Reaction score
Back to the original topic - "Austin Davis lookin good"

I finally watched his presser: he is adorable!! I am ready to have a cute QB.

Rambitious

Reaction score
kearly":rpitbwje said:
Austin Davis, in three games:

8.3 YPA
8.1 YPA
7.8 YPA

Hate to say it, but I think the Rams have finally found a QB. Thank goodness their defense has decided to tank while this has been going on.

The D is learning a new system.
Sometimes D's regress until they learn the new scheme.
I just didn't think they would slip this much.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Need to see how he does when there's a little more tape out on him. Seems inevitable nowadays for young back-ups to be heroes when there's zero expectations and they can't be prepped for.

Obviously, I'm hoping this is more of a Kevin Kolb/Matt Flynn/Kirk Cousins scenario.

Last year, Case Keenum started out looking like a star for the Texans. Months later, he's waived and on the fringe of St. Louis's QB-desperate roster.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ringless":39dt2zjg said:
The issue is is that we have no pass rush, even when we blitz, we still can't get to the QB. We blitz on 56% of downs, which is about 15-20% to high for my liking. Our team will get burned, and these weaknesses will be exploited against Denver.

That's the biggest one to me. 9ers fans are going ape because their team isn't generating pressure, but they're also not generating pressure while almost always rushing four people.* The Cards are regularly sending really elaborate five and six man blitzes and aren't generating pressure. That's both of these teams doing what they do and being unsuccessful doing it, but in the long run I do think the Cardinals' approach isn't as sustainable (i.e. the 9ers can always blitz more to solve the problem -- and they've started to -- whereas the Cards are already giving the pass rush everything they've got and all its done so far is make a good secondary look weaker than it is).

*They blitzed more against the Cards, but what was going on in that game is a longer post.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":wnkjccgi said:
Need to see how he does when there's a little more tape out on him. Seems inevitable nowadays for young back-ups to be heroes when there's zero expectations and they can't be prepped for.

Obviously, I'm hoping this is more of a Kevin Kolb/Matt Flynn/Kirk Cousins scenario.

Last year, Case Keenum started out looking like a star for the Texans. Months later, he's waived and on the fringe of St. Louis's QB-desperate roster.

Davis does remind me of Keenum. Funny that they are both on the same team now.

Personally, I think the Texans bailed on Keenum way too soon. He started off great but the snakebit nature of their 2013 season and the fact that the Texans were putting everything on a UDFA to win them games very early in his development was a very poor way to bring a QB along.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Had a chance to interview him in 2011. Great guy, really grounded. Ended up talking for an hour. Happy to see him get his shot in the NFL.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RedAlice":3l48zpmk said:
Fisher announced Davis is the starting QB going forward.

Good.
I was wondering if he'd be too stubborn to do this, or not. I'll be curious to see how he looks as the season goes on.

RedAlice

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3in0i4kv said:
RedAlice":3in0i4kv said:

Good.
I was wondering if he'd be too stubborn to do this, or not. I'll be curious to see how he looks as the season goes on.

I'm curious too. But at least there is potential rather than just playing w a permanent back-up.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RedAlice":1z6udq93 said:

Good.
Well it's nice that Fisher recovered his wits. With Hill you already know he's just a washed up backup but with Davis you might steal a win or two. Honestly though from what I have seen I am not impressed he looks like the typical middle of the road in talent rookie to me.