Avril in the Super Bowl

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
ivotuk":d3ga9eby said:
YEa, too bad Pete Carroll has integrity, and Bill and Tom don't. If they would have sat Edelman for his concussion, like we did for Avril, we win that game.

To me though, Avril's health is much more important than a Superbowl win. Pete Carroll has taught me that.

I've found myself saying this often since the game. Just another way the Cheatriots tried to gain an edge by putting someone's long term health at risk. They continuously find ways to break the rules. I don't know how they didn't get called out on that during the game. There's no way Edelman didn't have a concussion. He was calling the Seahawks "St. Louis" after the game.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
What's to deter future SB teams from head-hunting to remove key players? It seems like a no-lose strategy. The worst that happens is a $10K fine. That's not much of a deterrent, considering winning players get near $100K and, ya know, a championship.

We saw the Saints do it in the playoffs a couple years ago when they took out Percy. We saw Clay Matthews try it on Russ last year.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":13ep9jlj said:
What's to deter future SB teams from head-hunting to remove key players? It seems like a no-lose strategy. The worst that happens is a $10K fine. That's not much of a deterrent, considering winning players get near $100K and, ya know, a championship.

We saw the Saints do it in the playoffs a couple years ago when they took out Percy. We saw Clay Matthews try it on Russ last year.

DAng....sounds like Bountygate 101. first lesson.........

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
farhat":121kwnt6 said:
I know none of us really want to talk about this. But, it is good to sit back and analyze a game holistically rather than focusing on one play. Of course, our nature is to focus on the final play, and blame everything on that one play; but what happened the rest of the game?

Tom Brady, as much as his name disgusts me right now, threw 37 completions in the Super Bowl. That is ridiculous. That wouldn't have happened if Jeremy Lane stayed in the game and Maxwell were not moved into the slot. That also wouldn't have happened if Cliff Avril stayed in the game either. Mynorthwest.com says:

"Mike Sando of ESPN.com noted how much better Patriots quarterback Tom Brady fared with Avril on the sideline (22-27, 214 yards, four touchdowns, no interceptions, 97.7 QBR) than he did with Avril on the field (15-23, 106 yards, no touchdowns, two interceptions, 24.8 QBR)."
It also helped him when Hill went out--we lost our front line push with Banes already out. Before that he was runnin scared.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ivotuk":2g2t65ix said:
hawkfan68":2g2t65ix said:
The game changed when Avril went out....the Seahawks had a 10 point lead at that time. We all know what happened next. Avril wasn't allowed back into the game because of concussion but Amendola and Edelman were stagerring on the field too. They were allowed to keep playing.

Dig that avatar.

Thanks!

Hawks46

Reaction score
StaffAmerica74":26dbpbls said:
Don't forget that Simon was also injured pretty badly.

Which is why it's puzzling that Burley wasn't active. It's not like they had a ton of big WRs to take advantage of any mismatch, but Burley is a better nickle CB than Simon, especially healthy.

ringless

Reaction score
Since we re playing the what if game. What if the Cardinals didn't have 32million sitting on IR last season? Would the Seahawks have even had a first round bye? :p

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ringless":1ow20vxi said:
Since we re playing the what if game. What if the Cardinals didn't have 32million sitting on IR last season? Would the Seahawks have even had a first round bye? :p

Is this a serious question? Then the answer is yes. The Cards do what they always do lead early and fade away late. When Dec/Jan comes around they are nowhere to be found.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
One play with Avril in for a better pass rush that may have been different. The 3rd and 14 or so where Brady had time to step up and find Edelman for the first down. Force a punt there, or if Kearse catches that long pass down the sideline that would have put us inside the 20 when it was 24-14.....either of those plays work and we aren't talking about that last int. It wouldn't have come to that

randomation

Reaction score
ivotuk":2ni87ebx said:
YEa, too bad Pete Carroll has integrity, and Bill and Tom don't. If they would have sat Edelman for his concussion, like we did for Avril, we win that game.

To me though, Avril's health is much more important than a Superbowl win. Pete Carroll has taught me that.

Uh Russ likely had a concussion in the NFC champ game just saying /shrug