Awful quiet

HawkFan72

Reaction score
mjwhitay":2a9cbvgf said:
Why don't people remember that we have Golden Tate's replacement already???? His name is Percy Harvin

I don't think people are forgetting that. It's just that people are nervous trusting Harvin to stay healthy. Tate was a reliable fallback when Percy got hurt, and he would have remained that if he had re-signed.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
So, what you're saying is...

1. Hawks don't have the cap space to throw out stupid money

2. PC & JS are pretty good at evaluating talent and value

3. Patience, as it applies to the NFL free-agent market, is one hell of a virtue- especially considering the reality of #1 and #2

4. This FO's approach seems to work, so we should have faith it will continue to work

...Yeah... I thought so...

MysterMatt

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3mweu04n said:
mjwhitay":3mweu04n said:
Why don't people remember that we have Golden Tate's replacement already???? His name is Percy Harvin

I don't think people are forgetting that. It's just that people are nervous trusting Harvin to stay healthy. Tate was a reliable fallback when Percy got hurt, and he would have remained that if he had re-signed.
I thought Harvin was supposed to replace Rice?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1xy4euvc said:
mjwhitay":1xy4euvc said:

That's exactly where I am at. The guy is incredible, goes without saying but his injury history, the fact that he is not a big man not even considering NFL sizes and the way he plays balls out a million mph... well, I really don't have too much faith that he'll ever make it through a full season.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1u3kqqlz said:
HawkFan72":1u3kqqlz said:
mjwhitay":1u3kqqlz said:

Harvin isn't 'replacing' anyone really. Posters points have been that we lost Golden, a playmaker, and that we don't have a replacement.

My point is this team won the Super Bowl basically without Harvin and you have to go into the season assuming he's going to be ready to go. That means a player you didn't have all year in 2013 should be there in 2014. A much better player. Hence, a "replacement" for Tate...

TXHawk

Reaction score
Last year the Hawks didn't sign anyone until Day 3 when they signed Cliff Avril. Two days later they got Bennett and picked up McDaniel and McDonald a couple of weeks later. That turned out to be a great haul for not much money. There are lots of good players still out there and we will pick up some important pieces. JS is looking for value rather than splashy signings.

TJH

Reaction score
The thing I'm most worried about is us neglecting the OL for the second offseason in a row. I think we have too much faith in Cable's ability to turn scrubs around.

TJH

Reaction score
mjwhitay":1p4a0q7a said:

Unfortunately he is nowhere near as reliable.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
MysterMatt":4av94uve said:
HawkFan72":4av94uve said:
mjwhitay":4av94uve said:

Rice is the player we haven't replaced yet or I should say do not currently have an adequate replacement on the roster. Kearse is it. We signed Chris Matthews from the CFL - but he is far too slow. I really expect us to draft a WR and OL this year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":2uuskzwo said:
Seems the Hawks are working up some deals as we have nothing going on except being gutted by the cap and other teams.

I am patient and believe in the FO, but damn, it sure would be nice to see something getting done.

All these teams are going nuts in FA because they don't have a Super Bowl roster. We do. We can let the market come to us and attack in the draft. You should know this by now. :th2thumbs:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1naj6kq7 said:
SonicHawk":1naj6kq7 said:
Signing Bennett was HUGE. Golden Tate can go. Bennett mattered.
Are you really suggesting that Tate didn't matter?

Tate mattered sure. But not to the tune of 6M a year

It's far easier to replace a WR than it is a Michael Bennett. Especially this year where the draft is deep and some cheap vets will be floating out there.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1bv13etp said:
MysterMatt":1bv13etp said:
HawkFan72":1bv13etp said:
mjwhitay":1bv13etp said:

Rice is the player we haven't replaced yet or I should say do not currently have an adequate replacement on the roster. Kearse is it. We signed Chris Matthews from the CFL - but he is far too slow. I really expect us to draft a WR and OL this year.
I was being sarcastic. The point is, we're very thin at WR at the moment.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
This quietness had been killing me and really good could we not have gotten Tate re-signed? He didn't sign that big of a deal.

suppaball

Reaction score
HawkFan72":hjk4kkfw said:
mjwhitay":hjk4kkfw said:

Draft Brandon Cooks!!!

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
How much cap room do the Hawks have right now?

With Clem being cut today and Tate going to the Lions, and the previous cuts that were made ....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":28pnzwo4 said:
0-4 on our own free agents since free agency opened, and no one new signed..

That's a glass half full take.

Is it better to resign key players like Bennett, McDaniels and McCoy for the right price, or overpay for players like Tate, Red and now Clemons?

If there's one thing I've learned in four years, it's "In Pete and John I Trust."

nsport

Reaction score
Don't forget 10 new fresh faces coming from the draft - and probably 1 or 2 decent signings... probably a bunch of edge signings heading into training camp... then competition... then about 50 guys who wish they could crack the practice squad on this team moving south to Jacksonville.

Our talent levels are fantastic on this team - I believe they will focus hard on OL depth and "best talent available" from young players throughout the draft and free agency.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":17na8g1p said:
We lost McDonald. McDaniel is still in the works.
The sky is falling!!! Oh, nos!!!!! :p
I will say though that losing Tate is gonna sting. Who will return punts now?
Baldwin or Kearse.

McGruff

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2eavztt0 said:
Seahwkgal":2eavztt0 said:
We lost McDonald. McDaniel is still in the works.
The sky is falling!!! Oh, nos!!!!! :p
I will say though that losing Tate is gonna sting. Who will return punts now?
Baldwin or Kearse.

Or Christine Michael :idea: