Baldwin beat Revis a lot more than we thought he did

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Basically, Revis did to us what Sherman does to Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers is often overly tentative about targeting Sherman, even if his receiver has managed to get open. This was most evident in the first meeting last year when Rodgers did not target Sherman's side of the field once. Then in the NFC Championship game, Sherman could barely raise his arm . . . yet Rodgers still would not target Sherman's area. And in last year's Super Bowl, Sherman said he remained on the field in the 2nd half, despite an injury, mainly due to his reputation preventing Manning from targeting his area.

I was literally screaming at the top of my lungs for Wilson to throw Baldwin the ball over the middle on this play:
1st10_40sec_1stqtr.gif

redhawk253

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3uct2838 said:
Hawkblogger had a great write up on Baldwin's Super Bowl performance that you guys should check out (especially the ones that suddenly are saying Baldwin is crap because of a dumb touchdown celebration)

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/02/doug ... Blogger%29

This also leads to bigger questions involving the passing game. Did Bevell basically sacrifice Baldwin to Revis and presume that Revis would win that matchup more often than not? Or is Russ just flat missing reads and being gun shy on making some of these throws. Or both?

We definitely need to address the WR corps and add a couple more targets to it... but this is pretty eye opening.
Stat came out today.. hawks o line has officially been the worst at maintaining the los in pass protection.. getting beat almost 47 percent of the time.

Theres a difference between missing reads and open receivers and having to scramble after 1-2 seconds literally half the time he drops back.

I love baldwin.. but he should be in the slot where he is among the best in the league. Need to get a legitimate receiver who can get seperation on the edges and let kearse and matthews fight it out for the other spot.. although kearse had a terrible second half of the season.. caught a major case of the dropsies which was his biggest flaw at uw. Maybe he needs to get his eyes checked again. I know my dad had to get his lasic redone a second time a year or two after the first time but has been great for years since then.

Sac

Reaction score
pehawk":2dhrdyjo said:
I actually agree with DavidSeven here. Blogger goes Single White Female at times with Baldwin. He probably has a black cabbage patch doll he's named ADB - which he heavily "pets" on those lonely nights.

RACIST!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
That's how you beat most elite CB's, quick short intermediate patterns, especially crossing patters over the middle of the field.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Two words for me: Offensive line. Period.
I know those guys are great at run blocking, but they stink at pass blocking. Give Russ an extra second, I'm sure he will feel more comfortable to let routes develop and give his receivers better opportunities.
But, we are a run first team. Therefore ... why should change anything?
I wish I could see a break down, if our TEs were open in the SB. Would be interesting to see.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MarylandHawk":1qoe69zc said:
Some of ya'll deserve to have Whitehurst back.

Because we're pointing out Baldwin wasn't shut down the whole game like many were lead to believe?

Wilson missed him a couple of times.. went elsewhere on others.. or didn't have protection to get it his way on a couple. These are all facts. This wasn't posted to bash Wilson, more to point out that Baldwin isn't the bum a lot of people on this very board have begun to paint him as because he decided to poop a football after scoring a touchdown.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Pretty good read. Yeah, Baldwin did beat Revis on those plays according to those gifs.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":6wel63ih said:
MarylandHawk":6wel63ih said:

Because we're pointing out Baldwin wasn't shut down the whole game like many were lead to believe?

Wilson missed him a couple of times.. went elsewhere on others.. or didn't have protection to get it his way on a couple. These are all facts. This wasn't posted to bash Wilson, more to point out that Baldwin isn't the bum a lot of people on this very board have begun to paint him as because he decided to poop a football after scoring a touchdown.

^^^^I agree with interpreting the info in this way. ^^^^

I disagree with Hawk Booger's version because he's never agreed with Wilson winning the competition with Flynn, and looks for any angle to pick away at him. Very easy to make any QB in the league 'flawed' by presenting the info the way he did. I rarely read an article from Brian that isn't biased in some way.

About the only 'flaw' I would interpret from this game and others throughout the season is that Russ favors the deep ball over the dinky dunky stuff. There is room for improvement in his short game, and I assume that will happen, but I doubt we'll ever see that be his primary focus...because he has the arm get it down field and prefers to do that.

cacksman

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1fy3t0fw said:
Hasselbeck":1fy3t0fw said:
MarylandHawk":1fy3t0fw said:

^^^^I agree with interpreting the info in this way. ^^^^

I disagree with Hawk Booger's version because he's never agreed with Wilson winning the competition with Flynn, and looks for any angle to pick away at him. Very easy to make any QB in the league 'flawed' by presenting the info the way he did. I rarely read an article from Brian that isn't biased in some way.

About the only 'flaw' I would interpret from this game and others throughout the season is that Russ favors the deep ball over the dinky dunky stuff. There is room for improvement in his short game, and I assume that will happen, but I doubt we'll ever see that be his primary focus...because he has the arm get it down field and prefers to do that.

You're gonna need to unpack this one buddy. When I read the article, I had no thought that the author was trying to say Wilson was flawed, or that he badmouthed him in any way. I read it as more of a game plan and the coaches failing to adjust. You mean to tell me that this guy thinks Wilson never should have won the job, and that it was a mistake giving it to him? Provide your proof please, and don't just link an article dated August 2012.

hawksurething

Reaction score
hawknation2015":htvr5u67 said:

Rodgers is often overly tentative about targeting Sherman, even if his receiver has managed to get open. This was most evident in the first meeting last year when Rodgers did not target Sherman's side of the field once. Then in the NFC Championship game, Sherman could barely raise his arm . . . yet Rodgers still would not target Sherman's area. And in last year's Super Bowl, Sherman said he remained on the field in the 2nd half, despite an injury, mainly due to his reputation preventing Manning from targeting his area.

I was literally screaming at the top of my lungs for Wilson to throw Baldwin the ball over the middle on this play:
1st10_40sec_1stqtr.gif

Lol. The WR was not looking when you said throw it.. Also the LB was in position to break on the ball to pick it. We want safe throws for now on...to big WRs like cChris where its either catch it or its incomplete since its too high for the DB to pick. No more timing routes where too much can go wrong.(well unless they are timing routes to big WRs that can box out CBs & safeties). Lol

hawksurething

Reaction score
Ranker777":iqmz5nf8 said:
The two main thing I noticed (outside of the Kearse 3rd and 3 drop- Great route concept, especially Baldwin's) is Wilson isn't at Brady's level yet (many aren't). Brady finds the open guy almost instantly. And the routes in itself are garbage. Bunch of them run right into coverage.

Brady showed he sucked the year before he lobbied for Randy moss ! He proved to us all that a good QB needs a good receiver... Whether a WR or TE. Brady lobbied for that !

TattooIt

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3taga1pf said:
Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but Baldwin doesn't look that open in those gifs. The first one, yes. Russell completely missed him. A lot of the other gifs show Baldwin running into congestion/zone or Revis easing off after Russell has already thrown or been sacked. Most of them are cut off before any material separation is shown.

I dunno, I'm sure if we gif'ed all 40+ of Sherman's coverage snaps, we'd see WRs getting free on a decent number of them, too. Doesn't mean it's a good idea to consistently look his way as first or even second read.

hawkblogger is close to Baldwin in the way that can make this analysis biased.

Good Posting.

I'd also add that a huge part of what makes Revis so good is being left out. Watch any film of him and it will support what I am about to say. Revis almost always gives his man a little cushion to create the illusion that he's open. It's a baiting tactic. He's banking on the QB thinking he can make the throw, only to find out that Revis has outstanding closing speed when it's too late.

I'm sure Wilson was well aware of this through film study and therefore chose (probably very wisely) not to gamble.

Revis has made a career of shutting down receivers much, MUCH better, bigger, and faster than Doug Baldwin. The risk outweighed the reward. I'd credit that to good decision making by Wilson and Bevel.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawksurething":256iesl8 said:
hawknation2015":256iesl8 said:

1st10_40sec_1stqtr.gif

Lol. The WR was not looking when you said throw it.. Also the LB was in position to break on the ball to pick it. We want safe throws for now on...to big WRs like cChris where its either catch it or its incomplete since its too high for the DB to pick. No more timing routes where too much can go wrong.(well unless they are timing routes to big WRs that can box out CBs & safeties). Lol

Wait, you don't think Baldwin was looking for the ball when he broke on that route? Wait . . . you think that LB was in a better position to make a play on the ball than Baldwin? We should have been exploiting those LBs in coverage all game long.

hawksurething

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3uk0w8wm said:
hawksurething":3uk0w8wm said:
hawknation2015":3uk0w8wm said:

1st10_40sec_1stqtr.gif

Wait, you don't think Baldwin was looking for the ball when he broke on that route? Wait . . . you think that LB was in a better position to make a play on the ball than Baldwin? We should have been exploiting those LBs in coverage all game long.

Nope. Sure don't. Where do you think that ball is supposed to be placed on that route ? I'll tell you inside the hash marks, low and away preferebly so the Wr dont get killed...not at the hash marks like you have timed it. So...

Yes the LB can tip it in the air where it was supposed to be placed or the CB can tip it, or it could go off Baldwins hands for the int. Dude is 5'10 going over the middle & not a lot of room for margin of era. Now if that was Marshall,V.Jackson, or Gronk ? They can jump over the Defenders back and take the ball away or you can just throw it high where the smaller defenders can't get it. This makes passing games work easy Matthews showed us this in the bowl.