Base Defense

Polk738

Reaction score
Not sure if this subject was discussed already this week but wanted to get your guys's opinion on running our base defense on so much of the snaps. So I'll start off and say that I think they need to start running more nickel, sometimes the defense looks confused in coverage-for starters the play where OBJ made his miraculous elbow out of bounds catch, if you look at the pre-snap coverage, the Seahawks are in base, nobody is covering OBJ but T2 comes down into...I don't know looked like some kind of robber coverage? After the snap he gets beat in coverage but still recovered to make a play (which I'll admit was impressive but damn how do you give THAT much cushion to OBJ off the snap???)

-Micheal Kendricks was awful, he was constantly missing tackles and getting beat in coverage, I know Pete wants to stop the run but it's pretty obvious at this point that teams are taking advantage of the LBs constantly being on the field-I'm hoping with Reed coming back they go to more nickel, thoughts?

D

DomeHawk

Polk738":ur7ghcbm said:
Not sure if this subject was discussed already this week but wanted to get your guys's opinion on running our base defense on so much of the snaps. So I'll start off and say that I think they need to start running more nickel, sometimes the defense looks confused in coverage-for starters the play where OBJ made his miraculous elbow out of bounds catch, if you look at the pre-snap coverage, the Seahawks are in base, nobody is covering OBJ but T2 comes down into...I don't know looked like some kind of robber coverage? After the snap he gets beat in coverage but still recovered to make a play (which I'll admit was impressive but damn how do you give THAT much cushion to OBJ off the snap???)

-Micheal Kendricks was awful, he was constantly missing tackles and getting beat in coverage, I know Pete wants to stop the run but it's pretty obvious at this point that teams are taking advantage of the LBs constantly being on the field-I'm hoping with Reed coming back they go to more nickel, thoughts?

No offense Polk, but we've kind of beat this to death. Basically boils down to Pete not being confident enough with the DB's we have to run nickel packages as much as we have previously.

getnasty

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3dzcx88a said:
Polk738":3dzcx88a said:

No offense Polk, but we've kind of beat this to death. Basically boils down to Pete not being confident enough with the DB's we have to run nickel packages as much as we have previously.

This doesn't make sense to me. Jamar Taylor has actual been decent so far in coverage, i could understand if he's hell bent on stopping the run and likes the idea of Kendrick's on the field for blitzing purposes but to say he's not confident in the corners says he's not confident if Taylor.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
getnasty":26b3sxby said:
DomeHawk":26b3sxby said:
Polk738":26b3sxby said:

This doesn't make sense to me. Jamar Taylor has actual been decent so far in coverage, i could understand if he's hell bent on stopping the run and likes the idea of Kendrick's on the field for blitzing purposes but to say he's not confident in the corners says he's not confident if Taylor.

I don't believe it's Jamar Taylor Pete is concerned about. My opinion is that Lano Hill and Tedric Thompson are the ones that worry Pete the most in secondary. Both are wildly inconsistent and for the most part below average players. Blair isn't getting much PT, just like Colbert didn't when he was added to the roster. That's the bigger concern. After watching Hill's and Thompson's play against the Browns, how could he not be concerned.

getnasty

Reaction score
hawkfan68":d5faw39z said:
getnasty":d5faw39z said:
DomeHawk":d5faw39z said:
Polk738":d5faw39z said:

I don't believe it's Jamar Taylor Pete is concerned about. My opinion is that Lano Hill and Tedric Thompson are the ones that worry Pete the most in secondary. Both are wildly inconsistent and for the most part below average players. Blair isn't getting much PT, just like Colbert didn't when he was added to the roster. That's the bigger concern. After watching Hill's and Thompson's play against the Browns, how could he not be concerned.

Tedric is on the field if were in base or nickel, maybe he's worries about Hill if they are going big nickel? Primarily though if Kendricks comes off the field it's to put in Taylor.

xray

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3g1htu8m said:
Polk738":3g1htu8m said:

This ^

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
getnasty":3mc9gr02 said:

It's the also the fact that Pete doesn't have a free safety he trusts to play cover 3 dropping his SS into the box, press covering with his corners and having that free safety like Earl to cover the entire back end.

That's the REAL reason we're seeing so much soft 4-3 base allowing all these short passes, i..e. bend but don't break defense.

xray

Reaction score
Who's really running the defense nowadays ? I'm not sure maybe Norton ?