Bears Den Week #5

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Week #5 Vikings

I guess the good news is that Fields had has best game of the year passing. It’s sad that we don’t have receivers who can catch the damn ball or hold onto it. There were some really costly penalties also. Still, the Bears made the game closer than I was expecting, so not horribly disappointed.

I want to say something about Justin Jefferson. Even an All Pro CB has problems covering him, and we don’t have any such animal. Cousins started the game throwing 17-for-17, mostly to Jefferson. Bears just sat back in a soft zone and let him catch balls underneath the whole first half. Rumor has it that head coach Eberflus (who came to the Bears as defensive coordinator for the Colts in 2021) took over the defensive play calling in the second half. This is not good news for our DC (Williams). Even the TV commentator was questioning the lack of any scheme to cover Jefferson until the second half. You need to have one DB to jam him at the line of scrimmage and another to pick him up after he breaks loose from the first guy. I know that makes it more difficult to cover the rest of the field, but it’s crazy to let Cousins and Jefferson play catch all down the field for three TDs before doing anything about it.

I think the Bears can beat them in Chicago with continued progress by Fields and a decent game plan for Jefferson after we get Jaylon Johnson back at 100% on the corner.

Go Bears!

Scout

Reaction score
Good for Eberflus taking charge because a lot of resources were spent on defense in the off season. No point in playing soft D with so much talent the Bears have on defense.

Offensively, the Bears could make a trade before the trade deadline for a WR buried on the depth chart at discount rates.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Good for Eberflus taking charge because a lot of resources were spent on defense in the off season. No point in playing soft D with so much talent the Bears have on defense.

Offensively, the Bears could make a trade before the trade deadline for a WR buried on the depth chart at discount rates.
Like the Seahawks, the Bears defense has been very weak against the run, but Gordon and Brisker are helping the secondary. Scoring defense is 17 ppg, which is very respectable.

Yes, Poles has brought in a small army of WRs who are basically cast-offs from other teams, and we’re seeing from all of them why they were discarded.

I want Bears to draft a first-round WR in 2023 and buy another starter-quality WR with $100 million in cap space. That will make a huge difference for Fields.