Bennett + 7th traded to Eagles for 5th, WR Marcus Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DomeHawk

Atradees":25ibwym0 said:
this FO is turning into Ruskell 2.0. they are not who we thought they were.

Of course it's easy to second guess but I think this reformation will determine their legacy.

However it turns out, it's going to be interesting.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
BullHawk33":2wkpxcdr said:
Forgive me if I'm not all that excited for a 5th... The Eagles won the SB so it is the last pick in the 5th round. Very different from a middle pick. It was a salary cap dump, that is all we really got out of it.
It’s a “salary CAP dump” over the next 3 seasons as Original said, and quite significant in 2019, 2020.
I get kind of being upset over the return especially if the Cheatriots story is true, but this trade gives Seattle more cap room in 2019 and 2020.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
DJ_CJ":en7qda3t said:
JustTheTip":en7qda3t said:
DJ_CJ":en7qda3t said:
Must be a high grade on this UDFA Wr with not accepting a 3rd and 5th from NE, head scratcher at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a 3rd and a 5th.

Per Rapoport that is what NE offered... also heard from Scef and Fox Sports on radio on way home from work... maybe not the complete offer just what heard from multiple places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't find where he originally reported that, but if he did he corrected it. 3rd for Bennett and a 5th.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Seymour":kpsk6ens said:
Decimation":kpsk6ens said:
Seymour":kpsk6ens said:
LOL to those overvaluing Bennett.

Bye bye big mouth.

Cntl-Alt-Del has begun!!

Fun off season begins! We are players now.

Sorry, but have you seen the Super Bowl Champs D-Line? Michael Bennett and Fletcher Cox on the inside Derek Barnett and Brandon Graham on the outside. Yikes.

And all we got is pretty much an early sixth round pick. Granted MB hasn’t performed as well as of recent, still doesn’t change the fact he’s only 32 and can turn it around again.

This isn't about team talent. This is about getting rid of those not all in or not able to let go of the past.

Very few people play harder than MB

Fade

Reaction score
King Dog":1nil79hr said:
If we trade Wilson and that 5th, I wonder if Schneids will be able to work his magic and get a 3rd in return
200w.gif

lobohawk

Reaction score
Wonder if the move is to make a Thomas signing easier, with the cap relief from Bennett's contract over the upcoming years. If I read it right, that's approx 6mil in 2019 and 7mil in 2020.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Bennett is a solid football player, but he's a distraction. Come to work to play football. That's your job. If you want to stand for a cause, or fundraise... do it on your time off. I have a hunch he's starting to catch the injury bug. He may be solid at producing sacks. But lets look at total tackles. If we want to call him elite. Let's compare him to elite. He has less than HALF the total tackles Tez did at this stage in his career.

I'm sure there's a better D-end out there than Bennett, that provides fewer distractions.

original poster

Reaction score
lobohawk":yrwq97wb said:
Wonder if the move is to make a Thomas signing easier, with the cap relief from Bennett's contract over the upcoming years. If I read it right, that's approx 6mil in 2019 and 7mil in 2020.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Hawk_Talk_/status/971520922413912065[/tweet]

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I've been trying to avoid overreacting, but I keep going back to these 3 questions:

1. Does losing MB make the team better now? No

2. Was the trade a "good value"? No

3. Will the future cap savings be used to make the team better? Guess we'll see.

I'm not confident about #3. From 2013/14 to now, have any of the players added been a positive addition over the ones they replaced?

It's like we had a Ferrari, but it started getting older and expensive to maintain, but for some reason all we can get to replace it with is a Ford Taurus. I know that's a skewed view, but it is frustrating to watch the churn happen.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Anyone who has been here for a while has seen I was most upset about 3 (4) personnel moves:

1 - Cary Williams signed

2 - Trading for Harvin

3 - Releasing Golden Tate

4 - Unger being traded.

In every instance, I was told to give the personnel move a chance. To trust the FO.

In every instance it was clear there was going to be a massive impact that would resonate for a while and create a huge weakness.

#1 - destroyed our secondary on one side until we fixed it

#2 - brought us a malcontent that would cause us to lose Golden Tate

#3 - Essentially cost us a SB win if not another trip to the SB

#4 - Destroy our OL and gut our run game.

I have the same bad feeling about this one. This is going to end badly for us. Absolutely going to be #5 on the list of dumb moves by this FO that destroyed our playoff hopes.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It isn't the return on trades that I am upset about.

It is the giant weakness in the DL this creates.

People talking about how Nazir Jones, Reed and Clark are going to pick up the slack are whistling past the graveyard.

We needed a better pass rush, not a weaker one. The combination of a weaker pass rush and dismantling our secondary? After spending this long just to try to figure out who the hell we could even put opposite Sherman in the first place?

The weaker pass rush will put pressure on our secondary which will already be nowhere near as effective.

It is going to be a tall order and Carroll is not a good enough coach to figure out how to make this team into an offensive juggernaut to offset the dismantling of the defense. He is a cheerleader/motivation guy not a tactician. Is our OC retread going to suddenly turn into a great OC and make our offense into the new Steelers West? Doubtful.

We are going to find ourselves with an average defense and a (hopefully) average offense. I don't see Carroll making any gameday coaching moves that will be able to offset that. I doubt he even has the capacity to do so.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":foe59pw3 said:
We are going to find ourselves with an average defense and a (hopefully) average offense. I don't see Carroll making any gameday coaching moves that will be able to offset that. I doubt he even has the capacity to do so.

We already were an average defense WITH all these guys, #22 by the end of the year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... &Submit=Go

Do you want 2-3 more years of this? Or do you want to try and rebuild. Because you can't both pay these salaries soaking up vital cap space with often injured stars on the downhill of their career AND rebuild............because you have no draft capital or cap space to do so,

Rip it all down, save the cap, get some draft picks and see if you can do what you did before. It's as simple as that, Pete and John will either rebuild, or they'll fail. It's on them now.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I believe that this defense would have been able to get us in the playoffs and make noise in it, if we could just quit sanding them down for 3 quarters a game.

If we could field an offense that could score and move the sticks reliably the WHOLE game, I believe our stars would be less worn down and be able to show flashes of that great defense they once were. One reason we were so average on defense was because we were constantly pinning our defense up against the wall.

Then we could have torn the defense down because the team will have been reconfigured to win with the offense.

That meant bringing in someone that could use Wilson well. Which we did not do. So you are probably right that the die was cast then when we hired some retread OC instead of someone that worked well with a great passing offense. This team will either find a way to win by passing the ball or it won't win. Because we either have to win with Wilson or lose a lot more.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2mo1ojcw said:
I believe that this defense would have been able to get us in the playoffs and make noise in it, if we could just quit sanding them down for 3 quarters a game.

If we could field an offense that could score and move the sticks reliably the WHOLE game, I believe our stars would be less worn down and be able to show flashes of that great defense they once were. One reason we were so average on defense was because we were constantly pinning our defense up against the wall.

Then we could have torn the defense down because the team will have been reconfigured to win with the offense.

That meant bringing in someone that could use Wilson well. Which we did not do. So you are probably right that the die was cast then when we hired some retread OC instead of someone that worked well with a great passing offense. This team will either find a way to win by passing the ball or it won't win. Because we either have to win with Wilson or lose a lot more.

If the championship window was still open, you're right, you keep veterans that can still contribute.

But it's not, Pete and John are not about maybe having a chance to limp into the playoffs and maybe "making some noise" for one game before getting destroyed on the road, or seeing all these overpriced stars continue to get hurt down the stretch when we need them the most.

I don't like all this either, but if you're going to turn over the staff and roster and rebuild? Then do it right, clear as much cap as you can and accumulate as many picks as you can.

You certainly don't keep 33 year old expensive players who aren't going to be here when the rebuild is hopefully successful in 2-3 years.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Our greatest resource right now is our QB.

But we have a coach that has shown, over time, that his system does not leverage that resource effectively.

I don't think he is elite but he does a lot of things that you do not expect even great QBs to do well, even when he isn't tremendous at some of the things you would expect a great QB to well.

He is, your best horse. Now if you want to win with that horse?

You have 2 choices:

1. Keep the coach but surround him with people that can do that.

2. Remove the coach and bring in someone that can focus on using a great and difficult to defend offense to win.

We did neither. We brought in a retread OC and we kept our coach who has really underperformed in every year since the SB loss. A coach with a demonstrated proclivity to the defense and a history of not really taking advantage of his offense but for those years with Norm Chow.

With a defensive minded coach on a team that needs to be offense oriented, how do you think that will end?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2q66oqr8 said:
1. Keep the coach but surround him with people that can do that.

That is what Allen did the first time when he hired Pete, what's changed?

Pete wanted total control to come here, and Allen gave it to him. So if you're Allen what's changed that you no longer trust Pete to do it again?

Pete's in charge, and he and Schneider have one more chance to show that they can rebuild another SB contender. So that's what they're doing, turning over the staff and roster.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fkg4hn6i said:
But it's not, Pete and John are not about maybe having a chance to limp into the playoffs and maybe "making some noise" for one game before getting destroyed on the road

Mischaracterization of 2017.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3lhqyunb said:
Sgt. Largent":3lhqyunb said:
But it's not, Pete and John are not about maybe having a chance to limp into the playoffs and maybe "making some noise" for one game before getting destroyed on the road

Mischaracterization of 2017.

Right, 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

So not sure what you're talking about "making some noise" in the playoffs. That hasn't happened with that defense in three years..........and wasn't going to happen.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Patriots offer came AFTER the Philadelphia deal was done.

No news here, just somebody trying to get clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.