Best draft in years

RiverDog

Reaction score
Grasping at straws? Speaking of the Packers, seemed to work out pretty well for them didn't it?

Come on man. Even you can admit that some kind of QBotF plan needed addressed. Wilson wasn't going to play forever and somebody should have been sitting behind him learning the ropes (not some 30 year old cast off journeyman either). I also honestly believe that Pete wasn't the least bit worried about it because he was trying whatever he could for one more run before his borrowed time was up.

It doesn't matter because Macdonald is here now. He knows the deal. Once the trenches and few other holes are filled and confidently fixed, he'll go after somebody soon enough. It'll be a couple of years, but it will happen. The two current QB's will never be Super Bowl worthy and he knows that.
So which QB was it that JS should have drafted? If you're talking about Patrick Mahomes and/or Josh Allen, both of whom JS scouted, Russell was 28 when Mahomes was drafted, 29 when Allen was a rookie. Are you seriously trying to tell me that JS should have drafted a QB when his franchise QB hadn't even turned 30?

And yeah, it worked out pretty good for the Packers, who had quarterbacks in their late 30's when they drafted their replacements.

NoGain

Reaction score
JS was supposedly seriously interested in moving on from RW from the time of those drafts. He liked both Mahomes and Allen, scouted them both, made trade inquiries about trading RW, about moving up in the draft, etc... This has been fairly well documented. JS despised RW's agent and was not at all attached to the idea of retaining RW. And, in the end, he did move on from him.

The only real interesting speculation is how much did PC put the kabosh on such ideas of trading RW, of finding his replacement from, say, 2017 onwards?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
So which QB was it that JS should have drafted? If you're talking about Patrick Mahomes and/or Josh Allen, both of whom JS scouted, Russell was 28 when Mahomes was drafted, 29 when Allen was a rookie. Are you seriously trying to tell me that JS should have drafted a QB when his franchise QB hadn't even turned 30?

And yeah, it worked out pretty good for the Packers, who had quarterbacks in their late 30's when they drafted their replacements.

Don't know which QB, but the point is they didn't even try. A QBotF wasn't even on the radar and that's why they are in the predicament they are in now. Hoping and praying for miracles that QB's like Smith, Lock, and Howell are the answers when they clearly aren't and giving enough lip service to convince the majority of the fanbase that they are.

Like I said, i'm not pinning this squarely on JS as I believe Pete put the kabosh on the idea. JS openly showed interest in other QB's and trade scenarios when Wilson was here.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Don't know which QB, but the point is they didn't even try. A QBotF wasn't even on the radar and that's why they are in the predicament they are in now. Hoping and praying for miracles that QB's like Smith, Lock, and Howell are the answers when they clearly aren't and giving enough lip service to convince the majority of the fanbase that they are.

Like I said, i'm not pinning this squarely on JS as I believe Pete put the kabosh on the idea. JS openly showed interest in other QB's and trade scenarios when Wilson was here.
And my point is that they didn't need a QB outside of a backup or insurance policy when they had a 28-29 year old franchise player under contract with no indication at that time that he was going anywhere.

If Russell was 35+ years old as Favre and Rodgers were when the Packers drafted Rodgers and Love, then you might have a valid point. But not when Russell was 28-29 years old with no indication that he was going anywhere.

This is becoming a circular argument, so I'll end my contributions to it with that.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Going back to some of the earlier posts in this thread, I'll just say that the best teams seem to be those that had series of well-done drafts over 3+ consecutive years. Like during PC's early years with the Seahawks. Could be what soon manifests once again as a result of our draft years '22, '23, and 24. We'll see.

bileever

Reaction score
At least one analyst thinks that 4th round pick Tyrice Knight was a good pick. Chad Reuter of nfl.com ranks Day Three draft picks (4th round and after) most likely to start, and puts Knight at #10.

Last year, 10 Day Three draft picks started 10 or more games. In that group was the Seahawks' own Anthony Bradford.

If we can get 3 starters out of the draft, that's a pretty good draft. I think we had 4 starters from the 2022 draft--Cross, Lucas, Walker and Woolen. Plus a solid contributor in Mafe.

In 2023, we had Witherspoon, Smith-Njigba and Bradford. Plus a solid contributor in Charbonnet.

This year, Murphy and Haynes look to be starters. So that's a total of 10 starters from the last three drafts. (I'm counting Mafe as a starter for next year.) It could be 11 if Oluwatimi starts at center.

CactusJack

Reaction score
People can bitch all they want about the current QB situation. But Howell was a sneaky good get by John & the staff. It didn't cost them a whole lot. He's going to surprise some folks if he gets the opportunity to play this year. I think there's a decent chance he becomes the starter in the near future. Maybe as early as next year.

Scout

Reaction score
Howell isn't that far off because young QB early in their career rarely start off with a 1:1 TD/INT ratio. Usually QB's that young tend to have more INTs than TDs.

Like I said Howell needs to speed up his processing to avoid sacks and avoid INTs. I don't think people realize how elusive Howell is outside of the pocket and how hard he is to bring down. He is definitely a sand lot QB when a play breaks down but with his arm he is going to make teams pay if there is an open player downfield.

So what Howell needs to learn is better pre snap reads and to understand that a quick release is integral as his pro career progresses.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I trust JS's eye for QB talent, but I believe his raving of Howell is nothing more than a coverup for not grabbing a QBotF years ago when it was obvious they should have. He knows he screwed up.
When exactly was that? Which year, and which round, specifically?

Atradees

Reaction score
I kinda think the draft on its own is overrated. You have to have coaching. You have to grab the right free agents. There needs to be a comprehensive plan. The worst teams in football have the greatest drafts every year. And yet they keep picking at the top of every round because the picture isn't whole for them. Pete's downfall in part was do to assistant coaches that had neither power or skill to make a difference.

How many drafts do we have to watch the greatest athletic freak quarterback being taken first overall to only see them injured weeks later? Did Matt Hasselbeck ever even lift a weight? Matt was one the greatest quarterbacks of all time. And if you watched Beastquake he apparently runs faster than Lynch as he ran in front of him and blocked.

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
When exactly was that? Which year, and which round, specifically?

Well 2018 could have been the year when they took Penny (a head scratcher even then) ahead of Lamar Jackson, or 2020 with selecting Brooks ahead of Jalen Hurts.

There's been opportunities.