Bevell defenders, anyone, please explain this to me

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3n8nzsb2 said:
Hasselbeck":3n8nzsb2 said:
Wait, wait wait

Bevell still has defenders?

Sure, not all of us are narrow minded fans that think 100% of every offensive snap that fails is the fault of our offensive coordinator.

When a season, scheme, gameplan and single play execution fails, it's everyone involves fault...........from the HC, coordinators, QB who installed the gameplan to each and every player during that game and in this case specific play.

I'm not a huge fan of Bevell, but like I've said before if we're handing out blame for our teams 2-4 record, he's not even top 5. Kris Richard is the coordinator people should be focusing on, he's taken an elite all time defense with 80-90% of it's core players from last year and coached them into mediocrity with a lack of passion and parade of miscommunication errors that keep happening over and over.

The offense? Other than lack of explosive plays like we normally have, we're still the same top 15 offense, #1 rush.

5 pass plays in a row in the 4th quarter while ostensibly trying to burn clock would elevate Bevell to top 5, but I'm not an infallible football genius.

Wilson alone is what makes the Hawks the #1 rushing team by yardage.

If you were to combine RB rushing yards into one player we would be slightly above average.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3owajyhy said:
There's no way that pass is getting to Lockett there. The Panthers have that well covered, hence why they conceded a 3 yard out to Graham.

I'm sick of taking the easy way out. If the Seahawks want to start closing out games they need to convert these plays. It was worth throwing to Lockett right there because you are punting by throwing to Graham. Unless the defense completely breaks down and Graham gets a first down. But like I said before, the Panthers just did what they were suppose to do on defense. Simple scheme. There was an opportunity for Wilson mid field and he didn't take a shot. At what point do they decide to play with a fire under their arse?

As much as I hated the "The Play" (yes that one) and thought it was way too risky of a call, I can't imagine Bevell ordered Wilson to throw to Graham right there. He called the play. But the rest is in Wilson's hands. They should not be paying Wilson that much money if he's going to ride hot routes when trying to close out games.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
mrt144":mequ68cl said:
Sgt. Largent":mequ68cl said:
Hasselbeck":mequ68cl said:
Wait, wait wait

Sure, not all of us are narrow minded fans that think 100% of every offensive snap that fails is the fault of our offensive coordinator.

When a season, scheme, gameplan and single play execution fails, it's everyone involves fault...........from the HC, coordinators, QB who installed the gameplan to each and every player during that game and in this case specific play.

I'm not a huge fan of Bevell, but like I've said before if we're handing out blame for our teams 2-4 record, he's not even top 5. Kris Richard is the coordinator people should be focusing on, he's taken an elite all time defense with 80-90% of it's core players from last year and coached them into mediocrity with a lack of passion and parade of miscommunication errors that keep happening over and over.

The offense? Other than lack of explosive plays like we normally have, we're still the same top 15 offense, #1 rush.

5 pass plays in a row in the 4th quarter while ostensibly trying to burn clock would elevate Bevell to top 5, but I'm not an infallible football genius.

If you were to combine RB rushing yards into one player we would be slightly above average.
All except 1 of the pass plays in the fourth quarter were completed, thus the clock did not stop as you claim. Marshawn's holding penalty kind of forced our hand to go with the pass in an attempt to pick up a first down.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":2db83b7v said:
Hasselbeck":2db83b7v said:
There's no way that pass is getting to Lockett there. The Panthers have that well covered, hence why they conceded a 3 yard out to Graham.

I'm sick of taking the easy way out. If the Seahawks want to start closing out games they need to convert these plays. It was worth throwing to Lockett right there because you are punting by throwing to Graham. Unless the defense completely breaks down and Graham gets a first down. But like I said before, the Panthers just did what they were suppose to do on defense. Simple scheme. There was an opportunity for Wilson mid field and he didn't take a shot. At what point do they decide to play with a fire under their arse?

As much as I hated the "The Play" (yes that one) and thought it was way too risky of a call, I can't imagine Bevell ordered Wilson to throw to Graham right there. He called the play. But the rest is in Wilson's hands. They should not be paying Wilson that much money if he's going to ride hot routes when trying to close out games.
I agree with you Czilla on that play. Russ doesn't even need to throw a high lob, just a touch pass over Kuechly to the spot you marked and it's pretty much game over. I love Russ, but if he wants to be elite, that throw has to be made

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Crizilla":pe0vhblo said:
Hasselbeck":pe0vhblo said:

How is forcing a throw into double coverage inside your own territory with a LEAD.. worth it?

You're hating the wrong thing here. The decision to not have Graham get to the sticks on 3rd and 5 is perplexing, not the decision for Russ to not force a throw that will more than likely wind up getting picked off.

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ocr2pi3 said:
mrt144":2ocr2pi3 said:
Sgt. Largent":2ocr2pi3 said:
Hasselbeck":2ocr2pi3 said:
Wait, wait wait

All except 1 of the pass plays in the fourth quarter were completed, thus the clock did not stop as you claim. Marshawn's holding penalty kind of forced our hand to go with the pass in an attempt to pick up a first down.

I'm sorry, I thought you cared about process for a moment.

kearly

Reaction score
The only thing about this play that disappointed me is that Lynch stayed in to block, making it a 6 on 5 blocking situation, and a pass rusher still got to Wilson in under 2 seconds with another guy a step behind him. Gilliam flopped on his cut block and nobody accounted for the extra blitzer outside of Britt.

So to me, the failure of this play is on execution, specifically with regards to protection. That is unless the play was designed to throw to Graham for 3 yards (Gilliam attempting a cut block makes me suspicious that could be the case), then that would be a subpar decision on Bevell's part. It's just not a high percentage play.

As far as the throws Wilson didn't make, I'm not sure it's a smart move to throw a high risk pass from your own 35 with a 9 point lead late in a game. Throwing to Graham was the textbook thing to do in such a crappy situation, forced by the piss poor protection.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":8qf52p8a said:
The only thing about this play that disappointed me is that Lynch stayed in to block, making it a 6 on 5 blocking situation, and a pass rusher still got to Wilson in under 2 seconds with another guy a step behind him. Gilliam flopped on his cut block and nobody accounted for the extra blitzer outside of Britt.

So to me, the failure of this play is on execution, specifically with regards to protection.

As far as the throws Wilson didn't make, I'm not sure it's a smart move to throw a high risk pass from your own 35 with a 9 point lead late in a game. Throwing to Graham was the textbook thing to do in such a crappy situation, forced by the piss poor protection.

Auto-punt . . . because pressed between the sideline and a defender, Graham is not getting those three yards for the first down.

Which goes back to why Graham is cutting off that route three yards shy of the first down.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
So, RW is flawed because he leaves the "pocket" too soon and needs to make more quick throws, and when he does he is criticized for hitting a hot read instead of tossing up a "lob pass" to a covered receiver?

I watched the above video with both of my eyes and if it is stopped at the -exact- time RW releases the ball ( a fraction of a second ahead of being sacked), the MLB is almost directly between RW and Lockett, had RW waited that split second to look at Lockett he would have had to throw him open, this was too quick of a play for that & he would have been sacked. IMO.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1qiqlr37 said:
kearly":1qiqlr37 said:

So to me, the failure of this play is on execution, specifically with regards to protection.

Auto-punt . . . because pressed between the sideline and a defender, Graham is not getting those three yards for the first down.

Which goes back to why Graham is cutting off that route three yards shy of the first down.

The question necessitates a follow up - if JFG makes the out break at the 1st down marker, how close is that to being a sack? The interdepencies of players in football is fascinating and yet we still have people saying RW is the primary factor in offensive failures.

kearly

Reaction score
If that was supposed to be a rub route, which I kinda doubt, then Lockett didn't know about it. He doesn't even look for the LB.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kearly":1ffjucdi said:
If that was supposed to be a rub route, which I kinda doubt, then Lockett didn't know about it. He doesn't even look for the LB.

I'm pretty sure it's the same playcall as the first 3rd down of the game. If it was a rub route you'd have thought Lockett might have got it right the second time. Doesn't look like one to me.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3hsm9wu7 said:

You got me in mid-edit. I posited that Bevell might share some blame for the design.

Looking at the play, it does look like Graham could have gone three yards further before curling out, and that's probably on the coaching. Graham probably ran the play exactly as it was drawn up, but it was more of a play for 3rd and 1 than 3rd and 5. So that's something the coaches will have to adjust to in 3rd and medium situations.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Graham didn't cut off the route short on purpose. He did was he was suppose to do. Wilson audible'd before the snap to change the play. It was going to Graham all the way. Wilson basically said "oh crap they're blitzing. I won't have anyone open and I'll get sacked. I have to pass to the hot route. Hopefully the defense can get the job done this time". I can see Rodgers or Brady staying inside the pocket, take a step or two to the left since there was heavy pressure coming from the right side, and giving the receiver a chance.

Graham could not have gone further down field. That's not his assignment. There wouldn't be any hot route if they had Graham go down field more.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":38bxhwde said:

So only RB rushing yards is effective, counts and therefore gives credit to Bevell and the offense? That makes no sense.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3961oh96 said:
mrt144":3961oh96 said:

So only RB rushing yards is effective, counts and therefore gives credit to Bevell and the offense? That makes no sense.

How do you credit RWs yards to play design and calling by Bevell wholly? Even if I concede that point are you happy with our rushing offense this year by the eye test? It appears Bevell isn't either based on how he approaches its utilization in game appropriate situations.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
mrt144":2hm6i177 said:
hawknation2015":2hm6i177 said:
kearly":2hm6i177 said:

The question necessitates a follow up - if JFG makes the out break at the 1st down marker, how close is that to being a sack? The interdepencies of players in football is fascinating and yet we still have people saying RW is the primary factor in offensive failures.

We should have more faith in the most elusive QB in the league to buy time for his receivers to run FIVE YARDS downfield. At the same time, if you use Graham at Split End and let him run a curl route past the first down line, that is the same number of steps as an out route . . . it's just past the first down marker. That is the benefit of using a big receiver outside; he would not have to spend time running to the sideline to get open because he is already there, available for a jump ball against a smaller defender.

White Devil

Reaction score
Crizilla":2dgap1vb said:
Graham didn't cut off the route short on purpose. He did was he was suppose to do. Wilson audible'd before the snap to change the play. It was going to Graham all the way. Wilson basically said "oh crap they're blitzing. I won't have anyone open and I'll get sacked. I have to pass to the hot route. Hopefully the defense can get the job done this time". I can see Rodgers or Brady staying inside the pocket, take a step or two to the left since there was heavy pressure coming from the right side, and giving the receiver a chance.

Graham could not have gone further down field. That's not his assignment. There wouldn't be any hot route if they had Graham go down field more.

So then we're in agreement that the play call is what was horrible? That called play had about a 5% chance of converting that first down.

Thus the finger points to?

anybody?

Bueller?

Bueller?

No.

Bevell.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":20wr2gc6 said:
Sgt. Largent":20wr2gc6 said:
mrt144":20wr2gc6 said:

How do you credit RWs yards to play design and calling by Bevell wholly? Even if I concede that point are you happy with our rushing offense this year by the eye test? It appears Bevell isn't either based on how he approaches its utilization in game appropriate situations.

Lots of Russell's yardage is from designed read option plays. Is that not play calling?

My entire point is people on here are too hyper focused on Bevell when a play doesn't work. But this offense is performing the same as it's performed statistically since 2012 (save for lack of explosive plays).

What's changed, and IMO has led to our 2-4 record is the defense. So why all the Bevell hate? Other than the same ol' lazy he sucks, play didn't work, blah blah blah.

Russell has 2-3 options EVERY passing play. He didn't have to throw it to Jimmy, so why is that Bevell's fault? Russell's the one who took the safe throw to the sideline that didn't result in a 1st down. 90% of passing plays in every scheme across the league has a short, intermediate and long route as options.