Bevell is fired (hypothetically speaking)

andyh64000

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3danzxz2 said:
Largent80":3danzxz2 said:
Threedee":3danzxz2 said:
I'd like to see an OC that doesn't lose super bowls. Normally, gross negligence is grounds for firing in and of itself.

Ignorance of the highest level. Spoken by a poster that joined 12 days after the superbowl.

Bevell: "Hey Pete, what should we do here, run Beast Mode again?"

Pete: "NO, that's what they're expecting, let's get cute and run a slant!"

.Net Members: "OMG FIRE BEVELL!!!"

Calling a pass on that play wasn't a bad idea...calling that specific pass (Bevell) was freaking idiotic.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2imzgdnh said:
Bevell is the OC and Cable is the assistant HC/OL coach. Cable has a higher title than Bevell. IMO, Cable is more of the problem than Bevell. It's Cable's area of focus that is weakest part of the team.

+2, but please replace both anyway!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
andyh64000":1hsk4xbj said:
Sgt. Largent":1hsk4xbj said:
Largent80":1hsk4xbj said:
Threedee":1hsk4xbj said:
I'd like to see an OC that doesn't lose super bowls. Normally, gross negligence is grounds for firing in and of itself.

Ignorance of the highest level. Spoken by a poster that joined 12 days after the superbowl.

Calling a pass on that play wasn't a bad idea...calling that specific pass (Bevell) was freaking idiotic.

This is the tragic irony of Bevell haters. I just literally told the story of how the last play in the SB went down, and you still blame Bevell.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
andyh64000":2g8d9rqn said:
Sgt. Largent":2g8d9rqn said:
Largent80":2g8d9rqn said:
Threedee":2g8d9rqn said:

If the ball was caught for a TD Bevell would be the greatest OC to ever live on here, but because it was picked off he is the goat even though we one the SB the year before and destroyed the Broncos. It was Pete's call end of story, he is a good OC and he is going nowhere.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3p0onyds said:
This is the tragic irony of Bevell haters. I just literally told the story of how the last play in the SB went down, and you still blame Bevell.

You have no idea that Pete said slant.
IMO Pete said pass (as he stated several times) and Bevell chose the ridiculous inside slant that was right into the teeth of the D.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":92rv7c4y said:
No O-line in the world is just "always successful" against opposing defenses.

The 2005 Seattle Seahawks would disagree with you...

(Sorry, just had to say it....)

But that was with true effort being put into the offensive line - effort via salary, effort via draft pics, effort via retention - all absent here.

I have always been on the Fire Bevell bandwagon, even if his rock rails look great on my Jeep, but I do not advocate canning the OC or OL coach mid season unless the season is lost.

Pretty far from a lost season at this point.

But I would be exploring options for the off season.

The lack of preparedness of this offensive line, and inability of the offense to make reasonable adjustments in the face of adversity, indicates a lack of ability in the leadership responsible.

In spite of flashes of brilliance, usually due to outstanding effort of two or three players in a given offensive play, the overall offensive ability and competence displayed is on the backside of the bell curve.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Seymour":29oxm35r said:
Sgt. Largent":29oxm35r said:

IMO Pete said pass (as he stated several times) and Bevell chose the ridiculous inside slant that was right into the teeth of the D.

This! Pete said pass and Bevell chose that ridiculously dangerous play.

And to repeat what I said earlier...I don't think Bevell should be fired. I think he is excellent at designing plays and schemes but he is a terrible game coach.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
RCATES":3vegu5a6 said:
My main issue with DB is his inability to adjust when things aren't working. I remember when this team would struggle in the first half and come out of half-time on fire after adjustments were made. What the hell happened?
Maybe the game plan set during the previous week is what the players practice for. It's not like there are 11 Einsteins on the field who can suddenly adjust mid-game and start playing some whole different scheme, in perfect synchronicity. When nothing is working, well that sucks but a lot can happen to lead to that situation.

By far the biggest problem this year on O have been debilitating injuries to RW, it took at least half the plays off the books. Hopefully they can learn and practice plays from the rest of the book now.. and then execute them well?

Giblien

Reaction score
I can't say that I know coaches well enough to name a replacement, but I would hope that he would work in more quick passes. I feel like a offensive game that had a higher percentage of quick passes would help the oline tremendously.

nash72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29vaesij said:
You guys keep bring up bad examples of teams that weren't winning, not teams that ARE winning.

You said only losing teams fire offensive coordinators and I gave you an example of a team that won a superbowl when doing so and a team that was 3-2 when they did so again and now are leading their division. Your statement is false.

nash72

Reaction score
Largent80":vf6qw7rf said:
And....Of course this poster didn't know that Browner (former Seahawk) knew what play was coming and directed the CB to the spot of the interception.

This in itself is another reason why the play was so idiotic.

getnasty

Reaction score
I challenge anyone to watch the first half of the Tampa game and tell me what Bevell could do better. Russ literally had no time, it's easy to say quick passes but when defenses have the ability to squat on route because we have to get the ball out so quick that doesn't work either. I need to watch the 2nd half, I know I hated the full back dive but i'll give him a pass in the first half. Not sure what game plan you need when the OL gets beat that bad but if your gonna blame Bevell for anything it's not being prepared for the OL looking that bad against a mediocre DL.

andyh64000

Reaction score
getnasty":1t4q09r3 said:
I challenge anyone to watch the first half of the Tampa game and tell me what Bevell could do better. Russ literally had no time, it's easy to say quick passes but when defenses have the ability to squat on route because we have to get the ball out so quick that doesn't work either. I need to watch the 2nd half, I know I hated the full back dive but i'll give him a pass in the first half. Not sure what game plan you need when the OL gets beat that bad but if your gonna blame Bevell for anything it's not being prepared for the OL looking that bad against a mediocre DL.

That's fine. Let's give him a pass for the first half. He then had half time to make adjustments and scored ZERO FREAKING POINTS!!! Against the 24th ranked defense!

Ambrose83

Reaction score
andyh64000":2p2ep1s3 said:
getnasty":2p2ep1s3 said:

That's fine. Let's give him a pass for the first half. He then had half time to make adjustments and scored ZERO FREAKING POINTS!!! Against the 24th ranked defense!

Bingo, let us not forget the other 9 qtrs of offensive purgatory we have all witnessed this year... We have far too many weapons on offense to be that bad that often.... If the execution is piss poor the oc job is to call plays to minimize the damage.... Lots of other teams have bad o lines and far less offensive talent then us and none of them have the games we have had..... Let that sink in.

cheese22

Reaction score
I'd like to see some creativity, some unpredictability and some innovation. Part of what makes NE so good is that you don't know what they will do week to week. With Seattle you might see some new formations but the plays always look the same. When the calls create some rhythm, they are nearly unstoppable. But too often, the sequence of play calls seems disjointed. Rhythm is the night.

getnasty

Reaction score
Not saying I don't like our weapons but people think our skill positions are a lot better then they really are. At the end of the day it doesn't matter who is calling plays if we can't block, the solution to the problem shouldnt be fire Bevell it should be get better up front. Last year was the same thing until the OL came together. It's not as if the OL last year was great but at least they were average, last week everyone up front was horrible. How do you game plan for everyone being that bad? Maybe the solution is just keep 2 Rb's and 2 te's in to help block and maybe Doug Baldwin can shake loose from 7 guys in the secondary.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
cheese22":16iq944y said:
I'd like to see some creativity, some unpredictability and some innovation.

You mean like a WR pass to the QB for a touchdown vs one of the NFL's best defenses?

Or the way they utilised and focused on C.J. Prosise to beat the Pats in New England?

Why is it when anyone comes up for a reason to complain about Bevell, it's something that often provides the most obvious of counters?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Actually I think creativity is probably Bevell's area of strength, so I have to agree with Rob on that one. I still think IF they can stabilize at least one of the tackle spots to somewhere near league average, Britt is healthy and Ifedi improves this offense will start rolling again.

cymatica

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1j0yj2xq said:
cheese22":1j0yj2xq said:
I'd like to see some creativity, some unpredictability and some innovation.

You mean like a WR pass to the QB for a touchdown vs one of the NFL's best defenses?

Or the way they utilised and focused on C.J. Prosise to beat the Pats in New England?

Why is it when anyone comes up for a reason to complain about Bevell, it's something that often provides the most obvious of counters?

I think his point had nothing to do with a trick play, or a good player against a mediocre defense. More about keep them guessing with formations and plays out of said formations. Too many time it's painfully obvious what play we will run based on personell or formation, and it seems more often than not db's know exactly what routs we run.

When have we seen them utilize a creative play for graham in the redzone btw?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":hjysjp5x said:
Sgt. Largent":hjysjp5x said:

Pete has said multiple times that it was his call. Bevell might have been involved in the conversation on the sideline, but make no mistake, it was Pete's final decision, and Pete's alone as to what play to run.

Here's the quote on SB Nation's article about the play

"I was so confident we were going to get it done," Carroll said. "Making the call we made was just part of the sequence. We were very confident in the sequence. We had a very clear thought about what was going on.

WE...............he said WE, not Bevell, not "I really had nothing to do with the call"................not "Oh man I was as shocked as everyone with what Darrell called"...................not "Man, I wish Darrell would have called a run play there."

We. Pete controls every facet of this team, you think he didn't have input into the last play of a SB? You're kidding yourself.

Latest posts