Bevell not to blame?

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
bbsplitter":rralsutm said:
nwHawk":rralsutm said:
I'm not seeing Russ go throw progressions at any point - this season or last!

Normally I stay away from calling out individual posters - but this is categorically incorrect. There are 20+ of us on this board that could sit with you and watch the all-22 and show you the multiple check downs and reads Wilson does in each game, including this one. On multiple of his sacks he had been through each progression and none of them were open, hence the sacks.

Doesn’t mean they weren’t open, only means that he chose not to pass the ball...or couldn’t see them. Russell leaves guys open all the time while taking sacks.

mrt144

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1lq4mcrp said:
Bevell needed to go after SB 49 not because it was (entirely) his fault, just because the team needed to reboot and he would have been the easy scapegoat. They kept him too long after that, trust was gone. Finally getting rid of him is better late than never, BUT by keeping everything the same and thus having the same issues. Now the blame is quickly shifting to RW and PC. I don't think people would be as annoyed if we saw something different on the field despite the losses, because it says they're trying something different. When they're trying more of the same and STILL failing, well...the definition of insanity is rearing it's ugly head right here.

That's the thing that just rubs me wrong. Every prior experience should be informative of future action. Well not every, you do need a filter. The offense is falling into the exact same traps at the exact same spots despite falling into those traps repeatedly in the past 2 seasons. Now one could argue that the offensive talent is so threadbare that it is inevitable, especially if RW is not the QB many of us imagine.

On the other hand, I see other NFL teams seem to actually try and custom tailor their offense around the talent they do have. And actual tactical initiative. Can anyone reference a moment this season with anything approaching that? Was that first Dissly touchdown it?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Bevel was an average OC. He wasn't the big problem. The coach responsible for the run game and protection on pass plays was the problem, and it will take two to three years to fully eliminate the stink he left on this team.

We had plenty of backs who could execute Carroll's ball control dream, but they were held back by a coach who shouldn't even be in the league.

We have a QB who could be elite, given even a modicum of protection, instead he is shell shocked.

Hopefully they can rebuild the line before Russ is completely destroyed.

The reason Bevel needed to go was "The Play." It was a bad play design/ call, and it destroyed the team.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Bevell absolutely was a problem, but as we're finding out Carroll was really running the show. The offense is very similar to Bevell's. The only thing I'm noting that is different is our usage of TE's (much better imo), and more formations under the center rather than in the shotgun.