Bill Barnwell - "it was a truly dismal officiating effort"

chris98251

Reaction score
Refs made momentum changing calls, Seahawks played flat and unispired after the first quarter, whether the refs took them off their game or whether they let down and could not get it back it doesn't matter. We were not in bitch slap mode for some reason and it needs to be corrected.

Secondly I am waiting for the grading and announcement that the refs at the game blew calls. Doesn't change the win loss column, and can only further discredit NFL current officiating. But with every call under the mircroscope these days it has begun to effect the ability of the refs to just do their job and the players to just play. Balme Roger and the league for that as well. When every play is a potential fine levied at someone and every call by an official dissected and talked about to no end how can you really expect them to just focus on their job anymore.

I look at it as a couple trying to be intimate with your inlaws sleeping in the same room with you.

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
The thing that gets me is that I wonder how well the LOB would've done without the ticky tack calls that went against them that the Colts secondary wasn't getting called for. I didn't see anything different from the LOB than I did from the Colts secondary. I hate losing a game that way. Refs should've let both teams play and see what happens not just one. Somehow I don't think Hilton would be running his mouth if the refs weren't calling so many questionable calls. The LOB I think were backing off a lot more than normal after all of the calls. Kinda weird how early in the game the refs were letting them play but as soon as it seemed like Seattle threatened to go up by two scores or more the calls started coming to narrow the gap. I'm sorry but the game was called unfairly and it's hard to say who really should've won.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1c7kiptt said:
coltsfan1405":1c7kiptt said:
Don't know what else to say other than I'm sorry lol Didn't mean to take it this far just meant to defend reggie than leave. I got carried away and I apologize.

Why are you even here?

Because his team got their ass handed to them and he wants to kid himself into thinking the Colts won on the Football field. He talks about how great his team played and yet they had 9 yards at the end of the first quarter. We had 200 yards rushing and out gained them in total yards by over 100. Had the refs did their job this game wouldn't have been close. We got hosed on pi calls which gave them two first downs (which we would have got the ball back and scored), we were screwed on the block punt and a touchdown was taken off the board, screwed on Sydney Rice's non Pi call, screwed on their weak receiver falling down trying to push off on Sherman LOL. You give a great quarterback like Luck chance after chance and eventually he will take advantage of it. The Seahawks D was blanketing receivers and if we had any normal sense of officiating this game would have gone to the Hawks and seeing the evidence of Wayne's stick em only embarrasses this troll even more. The players realized this after the game based on their comments and will be better for it. This troll obviously wanted to see how Indy measured up and they couldn't. The game is psychological, you get enough bad calls against you, you will become dejected. The Seahaws have nothing to hang their heads about. They went into a 10 AM game and were the more physical and dominating team.This troll knows this and that is why he can't leave, the truth hurts. The Colts won't get by the Broncos so he can watch us win the Lombardi in February..

Go Hawks.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
coltsfan1405":3hkr7zis said:
Lol even after I apologize and everything okie dokie nice set of people here

I am not being nice or not nice, I am being truthful. I don't care about the Colts one way or another. Your Defense can't stop the run and your team is soft. You and I both know this and yet you want us to all say how wonderful your team is, it isn't sorry. Your fan base (in spite of your trolling) is pretty classy and Luck is a franchise quarterback but you have nothing in the way of offensive play-makers that scare anybody. Your teams should be 2-2 but it isn't. Be grateful the officials handed you the game and leave. If you want to talk football we would be happy to talk to visiting fans but you seem to want this board to console you. Your team is average and if Luck goes down you are a sub 500 team..

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":vq2cr4el said:
I would agree with him, but maybe if we did more in the redzone and got TDs instead of FGs we would have won by large margin.
No, we DID get TD's, but one in particular, was called back because of a BOGUS PI on our Receiver, and that wasn't even close to a push, and the Referee knew it, can you say corrupt call?
And they just kept on doing it to the Seahawks during the whole damned game.
Losing is tough enough to swallow when it's all even-steven on the Officiating, but when it's flagrantly one sided like this one?, it just screams of "DIRTY".
You know there's something very wrong with what's happening, but you're stuck with the screwing that's taking place.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Rapid emotional swings and he thinks apologizing will fix everything.

Coltsfan1405, are you 14 years old, or 15?

kearly

Reaction score
I have no problem saying officiating was the reason we lost. I don't think that statement diminishes the Colts. They played well enough to hang around a Seahawks team that was playing very well early, and they got a ton of breaks. It's a good win for them.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":30eoeuhu said:
The Officiating cost everyone a square game.

But I look at it like this. The Colts offense did everything they could do to get 27 points. Two field goals, which means they potentially could have had 35 points if they had executed better in the scoring zones, plus the gift 7 on the blocked kick. So, out of the potential 42 points, Indy only cheated themselves out of 8.

Seattle had 8 offensive touchdown opportunities. 2 touchdowns, 4 field goals, a trip to the RZ undone by Sweezy illegal down field, and a trip to filed goal range that ended in a ten point swing when the kick was blocked. Add the safety that should have been a TD, and we are talking about 9 touchdown opportunities. 63 points.

We scored 28 of the potential 63 points. We left 35 points sitting on the field. We really needed 7 of those.
Did refs make it difficult to score a couple of those TDs? Yep. But the Refs did not cost us 28 points.

Even with truly uneven officiating, it was our mistakes that were fatal.

Officiating factors into the efficiency for the Colts. They had a few drives, including their game winner, extended on terrible calls that would have forced punts if called correctly.

Indy deserves credit for dominating 3rd downs compared to Seattle. But otherwise, Seattle moved the ball much, much better than Indy did. I think if Indy is the team getting raped by the officials instead of us, the potential points ratio for both teams is probably reversed, or close to it.

Lets not forget about the safety decision, either (which is debatable, but I personally disagreed with). It doesn't factor into efficiency, but it probably would have changed the 4th quarter if Seattle has those 5 extra points.

I'm not trying to say Seattle was perfect or to diminish the good things Indy did, but I thought Seattle was the better team, even with the clutch differential. I think Seattle wins by a couple scores if the breaks/calls are even. Just my opinion based on the feel of the game.

Also, I think Seattle played a hell of a football game. Wilson looked razor sharp for most of the game, the running game dominated, the pass rush was getting results in the first half. Indy overcame with some big breaks, favoritism from the officiating decisions, and incredible clutch plays. It was a mixture of those three things. I think if they go two out of three, they lose. So you could viably say the officiating cost them the game. Or the 3rd down magic from Luck cost them the game. Or the improbable big breaks cost them the game.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
kearly":25jbyv78 said:
Scottemojo":25jbyv78 said:
The Officiating cost everyone a square game.

But I look at it like this. The Colts offense did everything they could do to get 27 points. Two field goals, which means they potentially could have had 35 points if they had executed better in the scoring zones, plus the gift 7 on the blocked kick. So, out of the potential 42 points, Indy only cheated themselves out of 8.

Seattle had 8 offensive touchdown opportunities. 2 touchdowns, 4 field goals, a trip to the RZ undone by Sweezy illegal down field, and a trip to filed goal range that ended in a ten point swing when the kick was blocked. Add the safety that should have been a TD, and we are talking about 9 touchdown opportunities. 63 points.

We scored 28 of the potential 63 points. We left 35 points sitting on the field. We really needed 7 of those.
Did refs make it difficult to score a couple of those TDs? Yep. But the Refs did not cost us 28 points.

Even with truly uneven officiating, it was our mistakes that were fatal.

Officiating factors into the efficiency for the Colts. They had a few drives, including their game winner, extended on terrible calls that would have forced punts if called correctly.

Indy deserves credit for dominating 3rd downs compared to Seattle. But otherwise, Seattle moved the ball much, much better than Indy did. I think if Indy is the team getting raped by the officials instead of us, the potential points ratio for both teams is probably reversed, or close to it.

Lets not forget about the safety decision, either (which is debatable, but I personally disagreed with). It doesn't factor into efficiency, but it probably would have changed the 4th quarter if Seattle has those 5 extra points.

I'm not trying to say Seattle was perfect or to diminish the good things Indy did, but I thought Seattle was the better team, even with the clutch differential. I think Seattle wins by a couple scores if the breaks/calls are even. Just my opinion based on the feel of the game.

Also, I think Seattle played a hell of a football game. Wilson looked razor sharp for most of the game, the running game dominated, the pass rush was getting results in the first half. Indy overcame with some big breaks, favoritism from the officiating decisions, and incredible clutch plays. It was a mixture of those three things. I think if they go two out of three, they lose. So you could viably say the officiating cost them the game. Or the 3rd down magic from Luck cost them the game. Or the improbable big breaks cost them the game.

I've never understood those who say "Dont Blame the Officials"

Why not??

In a game like this, where head scratching calls kept dead drives alive that led to points, you absolutely can blame referee mistakes for a loss.

Take away the points that Indy scored on those drives that should have been over and guess who wins?

I understand its not the ONLY factor in this loss, but in a game like this, with calls like that, it was a HUGE factor.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1tw586ck said:
Rapid emotional swings and he thinks apologizing will fix everything.

Coltsfan1405, are you 14 years old, or 15?

I teach middle school, and I can 100% attest that this guy is not even 14.

My guess would be 11 or 12 tops. The emotional swings. The lack of football knowledge. The 3rd grade writing style.

Then again maybe that passes for 14 in the midwest..

nwgamer

Reaction score
thebanjodude":25aavqnw said:
Independently of how well they played, the Colts did have a number of notable calls go their way in this game. A 28-yard Golden Tate catch was written off by a phantom pass interference call on Tate. A third-and-22 incompletion that would have given the Seahawks excellent field position was whistled for a 39-yard pass interference call on Brandon Browner on a pass that wasn't remotely catchable.1 Another third-and-10 on what ended up being the game-winning drive was converted on a very questionable Richard Sherman pass interference call, while Darius Butler broke up a pass on Seattle's desperate final drive by reaching around Sidney Rice and launching off his hip to break up a pass. (The Colts did have a bad call go against them when Chris Clemons strip-sacked Luck on a play when Luck was hit in the helmet and should have been granted a roughing the passer call.) The Colts weren't lucky to win, by any means — both teams played well, and somebody had to get these calls one way or another — but it was a truly dismal officiating effort.

Agreed.... Completely.

I'm glad in a way we got the taste of defeat in our mouths to remind us.... lets hope we don't need to many more to get us home.

:49ersmall:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1gi14l3b said:

I had to live in rural Wisconsin for basically the latter half of my 1-17 years. You can add two years for girls, and three years for boys on top of when puberty normally hits for the rest of the country. There's a reason they're called "the flyover states"...

olyfan63

Reaction score
Nobody has even mentioned the OPI I think that would have been on Reggie Wayne by Super Bowl XL standards, much worse than DJack's pushoff.
It was one of Indy's final TD's, and there was a pushoff by the Colts receiver that gained just enough separation to avoid an INT or knockdown.
Anyone else remember that play? Anyone else have flashbacks to Super Bowl XL and the PI call on Darrell Jackson erasing a Seahawks TD?

The OPI call on Tate was a joke... corrupt officiating or at the very least, incredibly incompetent. Ditto for calling that borderline PI on Browner on an uncatchable ball.
Kudos to Luck for making the plays; the officials were a sick joke and an insult to fair competition. I'm sure it was good for someone in Vegas, though.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3mch2umq said:
Hawkpower":3mch2umq said:

I had to live in rural Wisconsin for basically the latter half of my 1-17 years. You can add two years for girls, and three years for boys on top of when puberty normally hits for the rest of the country. There's a reason they're called "the flyover states"...
I went to High School in South Dakota.

The education plan sets them back at least 3 years, compared to what educators are doing say here in WA. I graduated without doing any homework and barely doing tests. One of my classes consisted of random students coming in from bathroom breaks and playing Stratego with the teacher. This was my, sit on the lap top and download music hour.

I will commend the students for striving to succeed on their own. I was the only kid in my graduating class that didn't register for college with the counsellor (needless to say I felt like a complete moron). The biggest stoner I knew was (and still is to my knowledge) going to school to be an Aeronautics Engineer.

Everything is so weird and backwards there in comparison to the PNW, it's kind of quaint.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":bn64yw1u said:
Everything is so weird and backwards there in comparison to the PNW, it's kind of quaint.

Kind of quaint? The rural town I lived in in Wisconsin wasn't as bad as your description, but it was bad enough, alright.

Schadie001

Reaction score
coltsfan1405":2taom517 said:
Lol perhaps when you hit luck in the head and made him fumble and it was a no call and that's just one but come on it was a good game we're both in first place so what happened happened calls went both ways

Of course the calls went both ways, of course they did. But how about when you win by 5 a no TD call in the endzone after a blocked punt would have changed the outcome. A push off in the endzone on the 2 point conversion by Wayne...no call making Seattle have to score a TD at the end pretty much wins the game. You can be a homer all you want but the officials gave the colts that win on a silver platter.

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
SORRY FOR COMING ON HERE thought you could take a little ribbing seeing as your team is ridiculously good but I guess I hit a nerve. I'm sorry and apologize, I know some fans will take this in good heart and some will not but I respect your team and your fans and you guys have the right to feel however you would like. Insulting me and what you think my age is and if it makes you feel better go ahead but that's just a low blow. I'm actually from the east coast and well educated but got into the heat of the moment and I apologize.

CHawks4L

Reaction score
Sorry, apology not accepted. You did not come on here to rib, or jest... you came on here just about 48 hours ago and trolled some 71 posts (or nearly 30% of my post total and I've been here since the new site was born).

You sir have epitomized "sports forum troll" and although you may respect our team, you have disrespected us fans who are allowed to wallow in their loss with their friends on their own message board.

Be gone and take your other lowlife Colt fan with you.

SteelCityColt

Reaction score
CHawks4L":la7947x6 said:
Sorry, apology not accepted. You did not come on here to rib, or jest... you came on here just about 48 hours ago and trolled some 71 posts (or nearly 30% of my post total and I've been here since the new site was born).

You sir have epitomized "sports forum troll" and although you may respect our team, you have disrespected us fans who are allowed to wallow in their loss with their friends on their own message board.

Be gone and take your other lowlife Colt fan with you.

Hey what did I do? I concurred the refereeing was not good, but I don't agree completely with some of the backlash comments though I can understand them given the provocation. Please don't take his posting as an example of typical Colts fans.

IMO the game was a exciting spectacle between two great teams, and it's annoying that it's been tarnished with questionable calls and the quite frankly indulging accusations about Reggie.

I do hope we meet again this season, it would be a worthy finale.