Bills apparently interested in Frank Clark

A-Dog

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2euowopd said:
A-Dog":2euowopd said:
If the Bills are willing to part with that #9 pick, and maybe even throw in their 3rd or 4th rounder, I'm in.

The #9 pick is in the area of Montez Sweat, Rashan Gary, and Ed Oliver, and is within striking distance of Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, and Josh Allen. We'd also take $17M+ off the books which could be used on the likes of Trey Flowers, who is rated similarly to Clark.

Would do it in a heartbeat.

We need to grow our pass rush this year, not leave it where it is.

Totally agree. We can grow it by adding a top free agent (such as Flowers) AND a high draft pick (such as Sweat) with the return we get by trading Clark. Alternatively we can just keep Clark and leave the pass rush where it is.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3rlch1o1 said:
I hate fantasy football! Sigh.........

Every decision has risks. Frank is a very nice player and I would love to keep him on a team friendly deal. I also understand football is a brutal way to make a living and he want's to get paid.

I just don't see him as the guy you build your D around and that's where his salary is headed.

knownone

Reaction score
A-Dog":1feah9xx said:
If the Bills are willing to part with that #9 pick, and maybe even throw in their 3rd or 4th rounder, I'm in.

The #9 pick is in the area of Montez Sweat, Rashan Gary, and Ed Oliver, and is within striking distance of Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, and Josh Allen. We'd also take $17M+ off the books which could be used on the likes of Trey Flowers, who is rated similarly to Clark.

Would do it in a heartbeat.
There is so much depth on defense that if we had the 9th pick trading down would be the best option. In theory (value wise), they could turn the 9th pick and our 21st pick into six 2nd round picks. Obviously, that's kind of silly, but there are quite a few guys in this draft on defense that would be top 20 picks in most years that will be available in the late 1st early 2nd. So, they could come out of the draft with Lonnie Johnson, Jaylon Furgeson, Brian Burns, Juan Thornhill, Lyndell Wilson, etc...

Diversifying seems to me the best way to minimize the risk of moving on from Frank, aside from Trey Flowers, as you pointed out.

With that said, it seems the Bills rumor has been debunked. It's fun to speculate though.

mistaowen

Reaction score
If Frank leaves there is literally zero pass rush. He is coming into his prime and deserves the money he will get. We don't trade every part of the pass rush for a 9th overall pick.

getnasty

Reaction score
mistaowen":qtz5fl8l said:
If Frank leaves there is literally zero pass rush. He is coming into his prime and deserves the money he will get. We don't trade every part of the pass rush for a 9th overall pick.

but would you for another 3rd and 17 million? It would be tempting but damn i don't know. Grab Sweat at 9 and Simmons at 21 and then sign Ansah.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Pat's have done fine trading Chandler Jones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":3dq57qzu said:
mistaowen":3dq57qzu said:

but would you for another 3rd and 17 million? It would be tempting but damn i don't know. Grab Sweat at 9 and Simmons at 21 and then sign Ansah.
I would.. :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah we should trade him for their QB and a 1st rounder the next 5 years going forward, can we throw in their best CB as well since we will trade Wilson next and need a CB since all our suck and are not all pros anymore. :p

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2qh6q4gi said:
Yeah we should trade him for their QB and a 1st rounder the next 5 years going forward, can we throw in their best CB as well since we will trade Wilson next and need a CB since all our suck and are not all pros anymore. :p
Need more. Possibly a clause that they must give us their next quarterback that we designate as a franchise quarterback after the future HOFer they send us retires.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1wue5ard said:
Pat's have done fine trading Chandler Jones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, but the rest of the league doesn't constantly find new, creative, and subtle ways to cheat. So there's that part. All statements about how the Pats do their "work" needs to include that.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I don't know where 2 1sts came from... if someone was just pulling that out of the air but this is the deepest front 7 draft in about 20 years.. so if you get 2 1sts... you take them.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":19cy4hot said:
I don't know where 2 1sts came from... if someone was just pulling that out of the air but this is the deepest front 7 draft in about 20 years.. so if you get 2 1sts... you take them.
2 firsts comes from the tag he has on him..
You offer him the money and if he signs..If we don't match it we get 2 firsts from you.

lukerguy

Reaction score
IndyHawk":zek8d9a3 said:
lukerguy":zek8d9a3 said:
2 firsts comes from the tag he has on him..
You offer him the money and if he signs..If we don't match it we get 2 firsts from you.

Right, but the reports I'm reading say attempting "Trade". If they wanted to give up 2 1sts they'd just sign him, but if they're trying to trade they believe he's worth less than 2 1sts.

Mick063

Reaction score
It is about bang for the buck. Clarke offers a lot of bang, but for a lot of bucks.

True contenders rely on a proper mix of well compensated stars and rookie deals with rising stars. The more rookie deals, the less highly paid veteran stars, the more bang for the buck. It really all hinges on the quality of players that are on rookie deals, if the veteran stars can continue to play at a high level for the duration of their contract, and the luck factor known as injuries.

Injuries happen at a high rate and losing highly paid stars to injury are severely debilitating on multiple levels. Not only is the immediate services of the star lost, but his future becomes questionable depending upon the severity of the injury, and his expensive salary is eating up cap space into the future.

Here is what we know about Clarke. He has remained relatively healthy. He is a star. He may be worth the gamble of keeping around. The compensation for him if traded is a complete unknown. Entirely dependent upon predicting how good the compensated draft picks will be, how those rookies fit in, how healthy those rookies remain, how soon they can meaningfully contribute.

Development is a thing of the past for highly drafted rookies. Development occurs when former first rounders don't live up to their draft status and are acquired after their rookie deal has expired with the hope that their careers can be revived at either a much reduced price or a short term "prove it" deal with escape clauses built in. Still young enough to invest in, but not sell the farm for. Rookies that immediately contribute at a high level are the number one factor for success. Bang for the buck.

I'm good with keeping Clarke or getting well compensated for Clarke.

Atradees

Reaction score
if we had the 9th pick we could reload this draft. We have a lot of young guys already. Im not for standing pat on last years successes. So however that happens im indifferent. Likely, this rumor has been debunked already.

jmahon316

Reaction score
So, this happened.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1104820443855364104[/tweet]

I thought he said he was happy being tagged?

chris98251

Reaction score
jmahon316":3rcok73n said:
So, this happened.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1104820443855364104[/tweet]

I thought he said he was happy being tagged?

He was until the market started heating up by other teams for him, now he has leverage to negotiate a bigger deal.

Be careful what you ask for Frank, you could end up somewhere that's not as much fun.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Our boy may be talking himself out of a job in Seattle.

Wonder if he will like the weather in Buffalo?

kobebryant

Reaction score
I don’t blame players on the tag for not showing up when they don’t have a signed deal. Just risking too much money. This is far from personal, just the best and safest business approach that Frank can take in this situation. It’s not like he’s refusing to come to work while under contract, there is no contract at the moment.

Russ, Bobby, Jarran and Frank have a lot of leverage to play out the last year of their contract this season, as only one can be tagged and the other 3 can get to true unrestricted free agency, which is a really appealing opportunity IMO. It’s really cool to see athletes really starting to assert their power over their situations these days.