Boykin's Introduction

Zowert

Reaction score
Am I seeing things or is his name spelled wrong in the subject line? Not a big deal, however I think it would be appropriate for us to spell names correctly. Especially if they're Seahawks.

sutz

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":ocv843f6 said:
I'm still in the camp to bring back Tarvaris. Boykin displayed a lot of rough edges, which we figured he would as an UDFA rookie, and he could learn a great deal yet with the mentoring of Russ and Tarvaris. If we lose Russ for a couple of weeks, I don't want to be holding my breath every play and crossing my fingers that Boykin can get the job done. You don't get that with Tarvaris. He has veteran savvy and a command of the offense and that puts the rest of the team at ease. Look, we've had a Super Bowl contending team built in front of us and it would be a shame to see that all come crumbling down because we put our faith in an unproven player at a pivotal position, especially when a veteran who has been a part of our emergence for 4 of the past 5 years was available at a salary-cap friendly price. I'm all for giving Boykin maximum reps in the final 3 preseason games, but let's bring back the nice insurance policy that T-Jack provides.
And I'm in the "Let's move on" camp WRT our backup QB. Hopefully, Russ has another 10 years in him, during which time we could start up QBU Seattle, grooming young guys like Boykin and trading them after a year or two for 3rd round picks.

I'm not so sure that any team considers the backup QB to be a "pivotal position." As has been quoted many times by the talking heads, often the most popular player for many fans is the backup QB. But if we're hanging our SB hope on the QB2 position, we're already in trouble. ;)

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
soohawk":2s5xdlgb said:
t jack will be getting nice suspension for his off field activities and as such i believe that boat has sailed with all due respect
Check your facts. He was cleared of all charges -- thus he won't be suspended.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
sutz":1fogr5zo said:
Siouxhawk":1fogr5zo said:
I'm still in the camp to bring back Tarvaris. Boykin displayed a lot of rough edges, which we figured he would as an UDFA rookie, and he could learn a great deal yet with the mentoring of Russ and Tarvaris. If we lose Russ for a couple of weeks, I don't want to be holding my breath every play and crossing my fingers that Boykin can get the job done. You don't get that with Tarvaris. He has veteran savvy and a command of the offense and that puts the rest of the team at ease. Look, we've had a Super Bowl contending team built in front of us and it would be a shame to see that all come crumbling down because we put our faith in an unproven player at a pivotal position, especially when a veteran who has been a part of our emergence for 4 of the past 5 years was available at a salary-cap friendly price. I'm all for giving Boykin maximum reps in the final 3 preseason games, but let's bring back the nice insurance policy that T-Jack provides.
And I'm in the "Let's move on" camp WRT our backup QB. Hopefully, Russ has another 10 years in him, during which time we could start up QBU Seattle, grooming young guys like Boykin and trading them after a year or two for 3rd round picks.

I'm not so sure that any team considers the backup QB to be a "pivotal position." As has been quoted many times by the talking heads, often the most popular player for many fans is the backup QB. But if we're hanging our SB hope on the QB2 position, we're already in trouble. ;)
Obviously we'd be in dire straits if we had to turn our team over to the backup for an extended period -- 8 or 9 games. All teams would. But for a manageable 2 or 3 game stretch, I like our chances better with Tarvaris. So in that regard, the position is pivotal. And if you read closer, I wrote we keep Boykin too.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
razor150":33hgyo5j said:
His last 2 minute drill he ran terribly, he wasted a lot of time needlessly instead of spiking the ball, but since it worked out for him nobody says anything. I was literally wondering why he was wasting so much time, and then when the pass was completed I was like "You've got to be kidding me."

It was his first pre season game. He wasn't going to be perfect. That's what winners do, they overcome mistakes and find a way to pull out the win. Even if luck has to factor into the equation. Just seems to be a little bit harsh criticism towards a dude that didn't turn the ball over, and made the requisite plays to win the game. It was kind of reminiscent of wilsons first pre season game, to me. Obviously I'm not comparing him to wilson, but he has some similar instincts for making plays happen.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1euvfisi said:
Rob12":1euvfisi said:
We ever going to get to the point around here where we can spell the names of our players correctly?

It's Boykin. :)
Thank you. This reminds me of the dark days when many, many idiots insisted on posting about Grant Winstrom.
For those of us who have been around long enough to remember that...and a much more contentious board.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
There fixed, now you can actually talk about the player instead of me misspelling his name and derailing the thread over petty crap.

Latest posts