Brandon Browner covering the TE

ShaunPope

Reaction score
When we face teams who have a dangerous threat at the TE position, why not stick Browner on him in coverage? Browner is built like a SS and can cover like a corner. This week especially, it seems to make perfect sense to have Sherman on Wayne, Thurmond on Hilton and Browner on Fleenor.

Cfuji

Reaction score
why not let him do his thing on the outside, I would not change what they are doing on defense.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Because teams with a legit receiving TE have been continuing to gouge the middle of our defense. New ideas shouldn't be excused simply because they're new.

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
I have thought the exact same thing. We gave a luxury of depth at corner. Move WTIII outside and Browner on the TE. Our LB's are getting smoked so change it up a bit.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
If Fleener has a good game, then there are definitely issues covering TEs for Seattle.

That dude hasn't done jack since getting drafted.

He SHOULD be a non-issue this game. Then again, we've seen some TEs do some damage so far.

May as well let BB do what he does at Indy, but this is an interesting topic if the TE isn't inept.

m0ng0

Reaction score
We have faced 3 of the best TE in the league not named Jimmy Graham and we beat all of them. I think we just keep doing what we do WINNING !

The Radish

Reaction score
Problem with that idea is Browner plays up to the line of scrimmage and bumps those guys hard in the first 5 yards where it is legal and then has the speed to keep up with them.

You can't have a guy up at the line of scrimmage to cover TEs because then the field is open behind you him all the way to the centerfielder, which allows huge gains and TDs.

Yes we are giving up some TE yards but we are keeping those people to fairly minimum gains.

And in the meantime what is your plan for covering the wideouts where Browner is? Luck would have a field day over there.

Your idea is good but you can't cover small gains and give up big gains.

That's my take.

:roll:

legend38

Reaction score
ShaunPope":27mlcczh said:
When we face teams who have a dangerous threat at the TE position, why not stick Browner on him in coverage? Browner is built like a SS and can cover like a corner. This week especially, it seems to make perfect sense to have Sherman on Wayne, Thurmond on Hilton and Browner on Fleenor.

I have been calling for this since the off season.So sick of watching linebackers TRY and cover tight ends,at any level of football.They are not as fast,normally shorter,and just dont seem to be as athletic as these basketball players.I remember a few years back when Tony G was unstoppable(still is),Raiders tried it and Nhamdi shut him down.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
we were pretty good against TE' s last year; the success of TE's against us theory is sort of (entirely) a myth.

Last week the TE burned us a bit but we weren't playing our usual scheme and I think that we learned our lesson about getting away from just doing what we do.

I think we are just overly sensitive to TE's because if a TE catches a ball it's almost always a route over the middle and right at or over the sticks for a first down; that's not our issue that's just the nature of the TE and the sort of routes a TE usually runs so as fans every time a TE catches a ball and it's a first down they usually look wide open and we are like, "GOOOOOOD WHYYYYYY' but really that is just par for the TE course - look at Zach Millers better plays.

TE's will get their catches, allowing the underneath plays one in a while is what makes us one of the better defenses in the league at stopping the BIG plays. Would you rather we gave up huge plays than simply allowed TE's to pick up first downs now and again? no.

The Radish

Reaction score
Hawknballs":gi8se83g said:
we were pretty good against TE' s last year; the success of TE's against us theory is sort of (entirely) a myth.

Last week the TE burned us a bit but we weren't playing our usual scheme and I think that we learned our lesson about getting away from just doing what we do.

I think we are just overly sensitive to TE's because if a TE catches a ball it's almost always a route over the middle and right at or over the sticks for a first down; that's not our issue that's just the nature of the TE and the sort of routes a TE usually runs so as fans every time a TE catches a ball and it's a first down they usually look wide open and we are like, "GOOOOOOD WHYYYYYY' but really that is just par for the TE course - look at Zach Millers better plays.

TE's will get their catches, allowing the underneath plays one in a while is what makes us one of the better defenses in the league at stopping the BIG plays. Would you rather we gave up huge plays than simply allowed TE's to pick up first downs now and again? no.

You realize when you post stuff like this you should include your picture with the green hair that's in the Lounge?

:D

Hawknballs

Reaction score
from now on i will make it into an image with that picture and my post text in a comic book bubble.

NFL Fan

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":2igrfhu1 said:
If Fleener has a good game, then there are definitely issues covering TEs for Seattle.

He SHOULD be a non-issue this game. Then again, we've seen some TEs do some damage so far.

May as well let BB do what he does at Indy, but this is an interesting topic if the TE isn't inept.
Have you even seen him play this year? Last year, he was Luck's second option at TE because of Allen. Gotta love fans that just throw crap against the wall hoping it sticks.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
NFL Fan":v5stq2te said:
SouthSoundHawk":v5stq2te said:

Have you even seen him play this year? Last year, he was Luck's second option at TE because of Allen. Gotta love fans that just throw crap against the wall hoping it sticks.

As much as I'd be inclined to agree with you about Fleener as I agreed with you on the other thread about luck, coming to your opponents fan-forum when they are a cross-conference team you see once every 4 years and acting all incensed about the seeming lack of knowledge/respect for your players probably isn't the best way to find a good conversation, if that's what you're here for. Just sayin'.

NFL Fan

Reaction score
Hawknballs":17tysozy said:
NFL Fan":17tysozy said:
SouthSoundHawk":17tysozy said:

As much as I'd be inclined to agree with you about Fleener as I agreed with you on the other thread about luck, coming to your opponents fan-forum when they are a cross-conference team you see once every 4 years and acting all incensed about the seeming lack of knowledge/respect for your players probably isn't the best way to find a good conversation, if that's what you're here for. Just sayin'.
Perhaps you're right, but I don't go around talking junk about any players in the NFL, unless I do my homework first. Just sayin'.

Let's just hope for an injury free game, and good luck after this week. Perhaps the we'll meet again in February. :)